The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Default Neck profile ?

My old seagull s6 has very high action. I tried to adjust the truss rod and I have shaved the saddle down some but the action is still quiet high. My question is what should a neck look like when sited down toward the body? My neck bows down at the fifth fret or so and then dives into the body at the end of the board. All this has been caused by years of neglect so I am kind of figuring she needs a reset. That's not going to happen so in general what should a proper neck look like and is there anything I can do to lower these strings? Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 AM

a basic, basic, generic, guestimate, ball park, shot in the dark answer without any pictures, would be from the nut to the 5th/6th/7th frets a dip of about .003 to .005 and then from the 14th to the sound hole there should be a downward slope of about .02 to .04.

the last gull i worked on had a shim under the saddle. did yours have one?

pictures would really help posters help you.

Last edited by arie; 02-13-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: better info

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair