The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Input on cedar top om/000

Looking to get one around $500-600. Was considering Seagull Concert Hall Momentum and Eastman E2OM. Haven't been able to try either, though. Tried an A&E concert hall and like the size and feel, but wasn't crazy about the sound. Any input in these two or any others I'm not thinking of? Would be for light strumming and bettering my fingerpicking and for travel. I'm also really intrigued with alverez mf60om. Know it's spruce, but maybe less compressed sounding? Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 PM

I recently got an Eastman E2-OM and I love it. So responsive, great bass and really loud for an OM style guitar. Unbelievable what $500 will get you these days.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I don't own the 000/OM but do own the E2D Cedar top and it's an amazing guitar. I might end up with the OM as well? For $509 it's crazy how good it is. I also haven't played the Alvarez MF60OM but the dread version (MF60BG) continues to get great reviews as well. About $100 more for the Alvarez I believe. But the Alvarez does not have a Cedar top...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I recently got an Eastman E2-OM and I love it. So responsive, great bass and really loud for an OM style guitar. Unbelievable what $500 will get you these days.
I 2nd that emotion
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 PM

The Eastman OM's in that price range are hard to beat.

Two other ideas...

Used...a Yamaha LS-16 ARE. Super nice guitars, very elegant and lush modern tone profile, and should be in or very very close to your price range.

Used...a 2005/2007 Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500M Mahogany, EF-500R Rosewood, or EF-500RA Rosewood with Martin Style 45 Abalone Inlay.

They are hard to find in that three year group, as that was their best quality years of production, and folks don't like to let them go. Really great guitars...but...they do have...especially the EF-500RA...a fairly big and pretty strong V Neck shape. If you like the bigger v style necks on the 30's and 40's Gibson's then you would really like these. Very powerful guitars with a tone that kinda splits vintage 40's Martin and Gibson down the middle...maybe lean a bit more Martin...ish...IMO. If you like pearl bling, the EF-500RA's are really stunning and the pearl is real pearl pieces, not ablam.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 PM

I’ve had my Eastman E2OM 2 days so I’m still very much in the honeymoon period. But the build and tone up is unbelievable considering what it cost.

It’s a fantastic cedar topped option and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-04-2020, 01:32 PM

For $500, the Breedlove Pursuit Concert Red Cedar is worth a look. It's a cutaway acoustic/electric with a solid red cedar top with layered mahogany back and sides. It's not an especially loud guitar, but it's superbly playable and the finish is top quality.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM

I appreciate the replies and the additional suggestions. I've played a Yamaha ls16 and really enjoyed it. Also a breedlove concert, but with ovangkol b/s. So many choices
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

The cedar used by Seagull might not be the same type of cedar used by Eastman. My Seagull coastline folk is cedar and I've been underwhelmed for years by it, but that might be due to size more than anything.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:56 AM

As much as I really like anything Godin, being Canadian I say buy the Eastman. I own two Eastmans and they are both keepers. I’ve played a bunch of others including the E2OM and it was great sounding. It’s a no brainer, nothing else in that price range that’s all solid with a cedar top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion