The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I use a yoga brick. Depending on the height of my chair, I can put it on edge or on the side. Playing on my left leg puts the guitar in the same place as if I’m standing.

When I played with the guitar on my right hip, I always had neck and back problems. Playing on my left thigh improved my posture and solved my problems.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I think the first thing to address is CHAIR HEIGHT.

Most common chairs we have around the house are too low, whether it be a kitchen/dining chair, couch, or any other easy-chair we normally sit in. I find the best position is an elevated chair (being a drummer, I use a drum throne adjusted about 6” taller than anything else I have in the house) with a footrest (Amazon $13).

There are also the “singer/songwriter” performing stools, which sit higher but have a footrest to rest your foot (accomplishing what I have done). Many times it can be an elevated barstool with a ring around the base as a footrest (often sold at the music warehouse places with Taylor, Fender, etc. logo on the cushion). Look at what has been used over the years...CSN, Eagles, Led Zeppelin...when they played their acoustic sets. There is a reason they are sitting on WHAT they are sitting on...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 PM

I tried some and finally got a large ergonomic footstool secretaries use.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 AM

What I've found to work best is an adjustable foot rest when I'm sitting on a chair playing. You can simply raise the foot rest up or lower it down depending on the height of the chair your using to give you a very comfortable playing position. Oddly enough when I'm on the couch playing, I don't need to use a foot rest at all, my couch put's me in a pretty good playing position, which is quite comfortable.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Being a petite person I have tried everything for comfort it seems, e.g., foot rest, Neck up, etc. I didn't care for the suction cup marks on my precious guitars while using the Neck up so off it went...For a long time I just braced my right leg on the foot ring of my Soundseat but that wasn't ideal either. I finally found a solution in using a strap while sitting, and adjusting it to the same length as if I were standing. Voila, no leg cramping, no back strain.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Hello: I am not a classical player but I am considering trying a foot rest while playing my acoustic. Or, should I just use a shorter chair, stool I have a bad back and neck so I'm trying to stay comfortable longer. What are your thoughts?Thank you in advance.
Hi S

I'm another NeckUP advocate. Both feet flat on the floor.

Footstools put pressure on the back, and the NeckUP eliminates that (as do other lifts).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-03-2020, 09:47 AM

I am also locked into chair height. I do imagine chair height needs to be different for different folks as it’s probably posture and leg angle that are what needs to be addressed. It 5’7, my preferred chair may be too low for you. Couches don’t tend to work for me at all. They are almost always too low. I have worked it out over time that a slightly higher chair or lower stool and a foot rest work best for me. I also use a strap most of the time as a safeguard, tho the strap is mostly to guard against accidents resulting from rambunctious kittens jumping up on my legs while I am playing (a constant as we foster kittens and there are generally at least 1or 2 in the house).

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I like this adjustable footstool: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...Fp%2F718364844.

I used to get neck aches from looking at my left hand when playing. Be mindful to look ahead as much as possible.
I play in classical style position too and have also used one of these forever. Never felt I needed anything different.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 06-03-2020, 11:43 AM

I use a sagework support which I see as an upgrade (in both quality and price) of a neckup.

Ll.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
I use a sagework support which I see as an upgrade (in both quality and price) of a neckup.

Ll.
I just ordered one yesterday, can’t wait for delivery!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I use a yoga brick. Depending on the height of my chair, I can put it on edge or on the side. Playing on my left leg puts the guitar in the same place as if I’m standing.
Ditto. Nice thing about yoga blocks is they're cheap, and they don't slip or slide on the floor. Plus using a box cutter you can trim or taper them exactly how you want. Trim too much - duct tape!

Me I have mine under my right foot with it pointed down a bit. The block raises my right leg as I sit and keeps the guitar from sliding down my lap.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:51 PM

I have found that the best thing that I can do for m shoulder and occasional back problem is to regularly change positions. Change the chair height, or move to another chair. Sometimes the guitar is in on the right let, sometimes the left. (although those changes usually are song-dependent.) And sometimes I use an adjustable footstool, on the right or the left foot. Sometimes I don't.

Movement is your friend.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I tried one a few years ago, but switched over to wearing a strap while seated. A strap can be adjusted so the guitar is up off your lap and used as a neck-up device.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-03-2020, 11:50 PM

I currently use a standard folding chair, which is the perfect height for me. I also use a basic foot rest from the guitar shop. Not even sure of brand, but I shouldn't need to replace it unless I lose it.

I can see how the neck up might work if people have comfort issues with the foot rest. I'm currently doing ok with the foot rest.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Another +1 for using a strap even while seated (and using a stool that is higher than a standard chair as well). Bonus is that it means the guitar is in very similar position when I stand, which in turn means that it’s now much easier for me to play standing. If you are somebody that likes to sing while you play, standard-height chairs and classical guitar position are (imho) not consistent with good singing posture.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion