The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 12:04 AM

Default Impulse Buy: Furch Blue G-CM

Looking for a reason to get out of the house, I took a longish drive to a guitar store that I've never before visited.

To my surprise they had 3 walls full of Furch's, Martins, Matons and Guilds. They were at all price points and body shapes.

Being honest, I informed them I was just window shopping, as I was not in the market for a new guitar at this time.

Despite this, they said as long as I was respectful of their stock I could sit down and play a selection of their guitars. (Very nice sales staff)

After playing quite a number of guitars I picked up a Yellow Master's choice GA Furch and was very impressed with the neck profile, tone, workmanship and the attention to detail BUT it was way out too expensive to consider purchasing.

I then played a few more Furch, and was surprised at their clarity of tone and 'bang for buck' at all price points.

As I was leaving I got into a conversation with the sales person who asked my opinion of the Furch's he had seen me playing as they were the only dealer in town and were committed to the Brand.

I told him that for me, the Furch's ticked all the boxes for a Cedar top guitar, but they were simply a too expensive investment for a secondary guitar to scratch a Cedar top itch. Especially as Furch was a lesser known brand and would I would take a huge loss if I was to sell.

Well that's where the conversation got interesting, he said he had a Blue series Furch at a huge discount out back, as they had lost the gig bag and as a non-cutaway was not as popular with electronics fitted.

He told me that it was a stunning guitar tone-wise but lacked the decoration and gloss finish of the higher series, but was every bit as good where it counts, build, tone and playability.

Well from the first tune it matched every model I had played up to then, and the price was a no brainer at 50% off RRP.

Well, out came the cash I bought the baby home, fitted her some inlayed bone pins I had spare to petty her up and a new set of strings.

Now I have to wait 4 hours for the wife to get home to seek grovelling forgiveness. I have a few excuses lined up but all suggestions welcome....Oh well, I better start preparing her favourite dinner

Here's a couple of Photos.

[IMG]IMG_4840 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4848 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4847 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4846 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4845 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4844 by Mark Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 AM

It looks great! Be aware, if you aren't already, that because cedar is softer than spruce cedar tops tend to get scratched up a lot more easily. But they sound great and are worth it, in my opinion. I own three guitars and two mountain dulcimers with cedar tops, and love them.

Have fun with your new acquisition!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-05-2020, 12:58 AM

Congratulations - they are truly great guitars. Funnily enough, I have three (OM24 / G23 and OM22) The lower end OM22 CM is also plainer than the others and in satin, but has never really given up much to them in tone terms. They make great cedar tops, and the cedar/mahogany is a good match with lots of clarity and warmth. Enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-05-2020, 01:44 AM

Default Impulse Buy: Furch Blue G-CM

Congratulations! For some reason I can’t see your pictures but that may well be my internet service here...

Long time Furch fan here too - we have three in the house: a maple OM23sf from 2015, a rosewood OM34sr from ca 2017 and a walnut Yellow Plus 12-string dread. They are all superbly playable, excellently made and sound awesome!

Welcome to the club!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Great deal. Congrats! Love me some Furch.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-05-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Your Furch has that strong appeal of simplicity at its best .. I’ve been hearing great reviews of Furch Guitars. Congrats on a good purchase. NOW WHATS FOR DINNER..
Old 06-05-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

That right there is a gorgeous guitar!!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 06-05-2020, 08:57 AM

Looks beautiful! Love cedar tops. Wish there were some Furch guitars around here. Never have had a chance to play one.

scott
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Nice looking top on there.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 AM

My best friend and I both have Furchs. He has a Sitka/Hog dread and I have the GA with ALpine/Coco.

His guitar sounds killer with a good set of PB strings! Also sounds really good with Aluminum Bronze on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion