The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Has anyone used Gotoh SD90 tuners?

I'm fed up with the tuners on my Martin J-17. I wish I knew how crappy these tuners are when I ordered the guitar so I could have upgraded them.

I see on line the Gotoh SE700 recommended as a direct drop in for these tuners that Martin uses on a lot of different guitars and not too many people are happy with them.

The SD90 looks to me to have the same dimensions but it's a vintage looking sealed gear tuner and Gotoh says that it's smoother than an open gear tuner.

''Machine heads without a sealed gear are criticized for not having the same smooth performance, efficiency and durability that sealed gear tuners have
The SD series solves these problems by combining "Rock-solid" technology and the post collar or: "Self-Center Guide", found on enclosed gears in the base plate of the gear allowing the post to perfectly align itself with the bushing which attaches the gear to the headstock''

Has anyone tried them? What do you think of them?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:23 PM

OP has ordered a locking set in this thread from a few days ago.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=582661

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-03-2020, 03:24 PM

I have them on a couple of guitars. They’re a definite improvement over the Grover Kluson copies and also better than the tuners that the Chinese company that bought the Kluson brand name is making. Those are officially Klusons these days, but they’re mediocre, in my experience.

whm
Old 06-03-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Yours has the StewMac Golden Age Restoration aged nickel ones with white buttons, right?
Old 06-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I’ve had all I can take of these cheap things. They’re stiff. They stick. They feel cheap. And they don’t look good
Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I've steered clear of the CEO7 due to these same tuners. Its a shame. This model is stellar otherwise.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM

Tuners are easy to replace, particularly when they’re something as mainstream as Kluson copies. I wouldn’t let some tuners that I didn’t like keep me from buying a guitar I wanted.

whm
Old 06-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Tuners are easy to replace, particularly when they’re something as mainstream as Kluson copies. I wouldn’t let some tuners that I didn’t like keep me from buying a guitar I wanted.

whm
You could actually use just about anything with two opposing screws. Even anything with the modern waverly footprint would work. The screws wouldn’t be in the exact same spot, but they’re closer than you think, but you could fill the old ones and screw ones and the old holes would be covered. They’d use the same ream and collar/bushing.

Look at the Schaller Grand Tune. I think they are superior to any of that style.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

The new tuners are ordered. Shipping is slow these days so it's going to take over a week to get them. But I can tell you one thing, when they get here, they are going right on the guitar!
Old 06-04-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The new tuners are ordered. Shipping is slow these days so it's going to take over a week to get them. But I can tell you one thing, when they get here, they are going right on the guitar!
Which did you order? The Gotohs?

whm
Old 06-05-2020, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the Gotoh SD90. These should replace my crappy ones with not plugging and re-drilling. And Gotoh says that they'll be smoother than an open gear tuner.

I have the Schaller Grand Tune's on my J-40. They are stellar but they'd require plugging and re-drilling.

The new Gotoh's will go on as soon as they get here!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion