The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 PM

Default TC Helicon Play Acoustic to PA Question

I ordered a TCH Play Acoustic and be here tomorrow! Reading manual.... I know I'm a geek!

Connections?
What is the easiest and best sounding way ....
to connect the outputs of the TC Helicon Play Acoustic to my Maui 5 PA?

I want to use both Guitar and Mic outputs of the Play...

I guess my question is:

DO I plug both R and L outputs of the Play into the MIC and GUITAR inputs on top panel of Maui5? ... The Play only has XLR outs.. IF SO ... I would need to get a XLR to 1/4" cable to plug guitar into the Maui5,

OR .. DO I just go into the inputs on back of Maui5?

Lastly, the Maui5 has some built-in EQ and compression stuff...
I am wondering if it Will "mess" with the Play's output and sound weird?

"An automatic multi-band EQ processes the entire frequency range and optimizes the system sound. An automatic compressor is activated to increase the bass at lower volumes and create a more powerful sound. As the volume increases, the bass boost automatically reduces. "

THANKS!!
Jake

Photos of maui 5

Last edited by JakeStone; 07-07-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 PM

Jake, I can't remember if we discussed this, but the output from the Play Acoustic is two balanced XLR connections. The mic should go into your mic channel and the guitar could go into either of the line inputs on the sub. This will give you independent guitar and mic volume control on the speaker. The XLR to 1/4" adaptor will cause an impedance mismatch and negate any benefit of a balanced signal. You'll need to keep the mic gain on the PA pedal low-ish and the level on the mic channel low to avoid clipping. You'll have two preamp stages in series, which is fine with the right gain staging. There is a mixer control menu, and guitar digital gain setting, in the pedal to help get the levels and gain correct. Have fun!
Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 AM

Thanks Dave - OK that makes sense to plug the guitar from the Play into one of the XLR inputs (on sub) ..
Old 07-07-2017, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Your Maui5 is similar to the BoseL1c I use. I go first into a Fishman LBM (2 channels, one guitar, one mic), then run a direct line out from that to the L1c.

I had been using the TCH Gxt for years, and you can run one line out; with that, it was into the mic channel on the PA (prior to adding the LBM). I do use the XLR to 1/4" with the Play Acoustic, so you have it correct.

I added the Fishman Loudbox, thinking it might be good for a really small situation, but found I had more EQ running into that first, then to the Bose - it was less expensive than the T1 Tonematch and gave me another small amp to boot. Just putting that out for an option instead of a typical mixer.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 AM

Thanks Capt Jim.

So signal is Guitar>Play Acoustic> L and R outputs > Mic and Guitar channels on LBM .. Then out to the Bose .. Right?

I can try the setup you mentioned too... using my Marshall AS50D amp... But prob be overkill for the small venues. But nice to have if outdoors or somewhere I need more sound... esp for monitoring .
Old 07-08-2017, 11:27 AM

As a followup post to my Original question..

I've had some time to play with the Play Acoustic... Into My Maui 5 Sound System. I'm sure things will change when in a Live situation.

Finally figured out what is working best (for now)... Guitar and Vocals.
- Setting the Play Acoustic Output to Mono.
- Connect LEFTOutput from Play to the Hi-Z input on the Maui 5. (using XLR to 1/4" adapter).

Sounds Awesome!

Side note: It didn't sound good when I connected the single XLR cable into the Mic input...
Way to Hot and mic was so sensitive..
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Side note: It didn't sound good when I connected the single XLR cable into the Mic input...
Way to Hot and mic was so sensitive..
You can easily adjust mic input gain on the TC Play by adjusting the rotary control on the side of the unit. That helps controls your hot mic issue. Control vocal output level is also controllable within the Setup menus.

Good to hear you like it!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
You can easily adjust mic input gain on the TC Play by adjusting the rotary control on the side of the unit. That helps controls your hot mic issue. Control vocal output level is also controllable within the Setup menus.

Good to hear you like it!
Yep thanks.. I went through the setup again earlier today and now using the XLR input and works excellent.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Jake, I can't remember if we discussed this, but the output from the Play Acoustic is two balanced XLR connections. The mic should go into your mic channel and the guitar could go into either of the line inputs on the sub. This will give you independent guitar and mic volume control on the speaker. The XLR to 1/4" adaptor will cause an impedance mismatch and negate any benefit of a balanced signal. You'll need to keep the mic gain on the PA pedal low-ish and the level on the mic channel low to avoid clipping. You'll have two preamp stages in series, which is fine with the right gain staging. There is a mixer control menu, and guitar digital gain setting, in the pedal to help get the levels and gain correct. Have fun!
I have TCH into a Maui 5 too. I currently have the TCH set to stereo, and i have both mic and guitar into the line inputs on the sub. It sounds ok, but the volume level for each now needs be controlled on the TCH. Problem is, i do not see a level for the mic (separate from the gain knob). There is a separate level for the guitar, but not for the mic. Am i missing something? The only thing i see for the mic is a low/ high boost, but not a level setting. So, i was thinking of taking your advice above, and putting the mic to the mic channel on the Maui 5 instead and leaving he guitar in the line input. This will help with independent control for volume, but how should i then set the output on the TCH (stereo, mono, or other?). Thank you in advance! Jim
Old 12-16-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3299 View Post
I have TCH into a Maui 5 too. I currently have the TCH set to stereo, and i have both mic and guitar into the line inputs on the sub. It sounds ok, but the volume level for each now needs be controlled on the TCH. Problem is, i do not see a level for the mic (separate from the gain knob). There is a separate level for the guitar, but not for the mic. Am i missing something? The only thing i see for the mic is a low/ high boost, but not a level setting. So, i was thinking of taking your advice above, and putting the mic to the mic channel on the Maui 5 instead and leaving he guitar in the line input. This will help with independent control for volume, but how should i then set the output on the TCH (stereo, mono, or other?). Thank you in advance! Jim
Set the Play Acoustic to DI Out. This puts mic to one output and Guitar to another.

You are correct. The only control you have for the mic is the gain knob and the adjustment for boost. The guitar output is used mainly for balancing the signals/outputs of the mic and guitar.

Balance Between mic and guitar is best achieved at the Maui inputs.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 AM

How exactly do you do that? I would like to just route the vocals from the Play Acoustic to my powered speaker and the the guitar signal will come from a guitar effects unit. I like the idea of totally separate signals from the guitar and vocals, but the Play Acoustic needs a guitar signal to track harmonies. I have to split the signal before it hits the Play Acoustic though so I get a second signal going to my guitar effects chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Set the Play Acoustic to DI Out. This puts mic to one output and Guitar to another.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How exactly do you do that? I would like to just route the vocals from the Play Acoustic to my powered speaker and the the guitar signal will come from a guitar effects unit. I like the idea of totally separate signals from the guitar and vocals, but the Play Acoustic needs a guitar signal to track harmonies. I have to split the signal before it hits the Play Acoustic though so I get a second signal going to my guitar effects chain.
You can use the Guitar DI output to go to your guitar effects chain (XLR to 1/4"). That way, the guitar is feeding the harmony cues, but you can choose what effects (if any) are provided by the Play Acoustic.

An easier and less expensive solution would be the TC Electronics Gxt pedal - it gives you the harmonies, but there is a Guitar Through output where the guitar is not affected at all by the pedal, just being used to cue the harmonies.

If you feel the need to split the signal before the Play Acoustic, you can use an A/B/Y pedal, but that seems like extra complication.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:57 AM

I know this has been brought up a million times....but WHY didn't TCH include a guitar thru on the Play Acoustic???

But even if I choose to go through the Guitar DI Output like you suggest
and turn off all the guitar effects, it's still coloring the sound. It's not a clean thru signal.

I noticed there is a setting on the Play Acoustic's BodyRez settings called "flat eq". I wonder if that's the same as setting the Body Rez to zero? I'll have to try that setting and see what it does.

And yes you are right....the GXT pedal would be a cleaner solution if I didn't already have the Play Acoustic. Maybe I will put it up for sale? I really only use it for harmonies anyway. I am wanting a simpler setup with easy to adjust knobs for on the fly tweaking. The PA is great but I don't like all the deep diving into menus that these "all in one" pedals all have. Think I would prefer a simpler pedal board with just 3-5 pedals that are easy to tweak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You can use the Guitar DI output to go to your guitar effects chain (XLR to 1/4"). That way, the guitar is feeding the harmony cues, but you can choose what effects (if any) are provided by the Play Acoustic.

An easier and less expensive solution would be the TC Electronics Gxt pedal - it gives you the harmonies, but there is a Guitar Through output where the guitar is not affected at all by the pedal, just being used to cue the harmonies.

If you feel the need to split the signal before the Play Acoustic, you can use an A/B/Y pedal, but that seems like extra complication.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I really wish they'd had a guitar thru output as well. And that it were 9v.

I'm currently using a different set up, but thought about adding the Play Acoustic as a multi effects unit in my chain, simply for the delays and reverbs. But not having a 1/4" out and being 12v... Oh well.

That being said, when I want the bodyrez and all of the other effects etc.... This pedal is an amazing all in one solution.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 12-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Yes, I am one of the lucky ones that still have a Play GTX. It was the first in the Play Acoustic format. It is exactly as the Play Acoustic (without Bodyrez) but has a guitar thru. I am using it now with the Zoom A1 four.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification