The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Very glad to hear it was so successful for you 1Charlie. This gives me hope in case the curcumin etc. effects ever diminish and my trigger finger returns.

DMSO, yes I forgot about that. I remember it gaining popularity in the 80’s.

Heads right through the skin to the joints iirc. Got to be careful with impurities, or so I remember from when it was popular years ago. Seems to carry them along with it. I’ll be doing some literature research on dmso later today then, thanks for the mention.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I did the cortisone injection route for about 2 years on my left hand. Finally reached my maximum number of shots and had the carpal tunnel surgery along with 4 tendon releases ( pinky not affected). I wanted to just get it all over with at once rather than stretch it out over a prolonged period of time. It has been almost 5 months now and I’m still in PT 1 to 2 times a week, as well as working on it myself every day for about an hour. My hand is still quite painful and making a fist is challenging. I have made great progress, but it is glacially slow. I’m finally able to play a little, but open position C and F chords are impossible. All guitar building is on hold indefinitely. If I had it to do over again I probably would.
I just wasn’t prepared for the lengthy recovery. The perils of being an old guy I guess. By the way, getting cortisone injection in my right hand tomorrow.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 AM

when I read the title of this thread, I assumed this was a thread about G.A.S. I have a "trigger finger" when it comes to impulsive guitar buying...

Wishing you fast healing so you can get back to playin'!

I enjoy your videos.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 AM

I often use a combination of mobilization, deep tissue release, acupuncture and microcurrent in my practice for these problems - with good success. The surgery solution is much more graceful than it once was, but there are still conservative alternatives.

I’m a chiropractor by training.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-24-2020, 12:32 PM

A little over a year ago I had trigger release surgery on my left index finger.

The joint had become painful, swollen and stiff on some occasions. I had early stage trigger finger. After two cortisone shots that gave partial and temporary relief, I elected for surgery.

One thing that I was NOT told was how important PT was for full recovery. After three weeks I didn't feel I was progressing so I started PT on my own. My surgeon (who was a fine technician) didn't seem remotely interested. I was very concerned since I had gigs coming up in three weeks. In this case, the surgeon was way off base and I won't be using them again.

After hand surgery it is *critical* to prevent the buildup of scar tissue. Scar tissue can limit mobility pretty severely, and is FAR harder to get rid of after the fact.

I am experiencing slight trigger symptoms in my left pinky and right index. As StephenT said, it can be challenging to find the necessary time to do the operation, but I will gladly do it again (now that I know how to manage the recovery).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion