The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 10:50 AM

I really like the new cutaway styling.
I really Don’t like the sound port as it is visually disturbing.
I think it’s a gimmick to Try to sell a couple of guitars or at least to suck people into demoing a Taylor or two.

Do not interpret my post as anti-Taylor. Wonderful well built guitars for those that like the Taylor sound.

Blues
Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Musical minimalist

I've installed ports on a couple dozen guitars, and got the before and after effect each time.

Two things jump out at me - first, the directional issue. The ports that are most effective are pointed right at each ear for me in the playing position. You'd have to be a contortionist to get that one pointed at you.

Secondly, I would place a heavy wager that when recording and playing up the neck when your hand or forearm is over the port, there would be some slight changes in what the mic is hearing.

I'm assuming this would not be for me.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:16 AM

i haven't seen one in person, but from the LOOKS of it, not for me...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:18 AM

The latest Wood & Steele Taylor mailer has an interview with A. Powers explaining "a second smaller hole broadens the response. It extends the peak of the note." I'm sure they have measured it and I would assume one could hear it.

Not too pretty though, in my opinion.

Edit: He also states that a port on the side can make tuning a bit more difficult in his experience.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
Hint: It's in the cutaway - - - never seen one there, not sure what to think about it.
At first I thought it was somewhat Kevin Ryan-ish, but, just the opposite.
Hi TW

It's only mildly reminiscent of Kevin Ryan's aesthetic, and really not in the same class. I hope to play one of the Taylors with a side port soon.

It's kind of a lame takeoff of side ports adjacent to the neck we saw a couple decades ago on Classical guitars (who had side ports long before acoustic 6 string guitars). But the ones on Classical guitars are larger and more effective.

The purpose of side ports is to increase the ability to hear the guitar for the player, and I don't see how the Taylor version would accomplish it.

I had a side port added to my Kronbauer 13 yrs ago. I play the neck elevated so it's positioned for my ears/head.

I added one to a Recording King, and it is positioned between the player's head and the sound hole. It works well too…

Putting one on the lower bout makes little sense to me, but I'll reserve final judgement till after I play one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-22-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I haven’t tried it, and am not really wanting to. Taylor disappointed me a little this year. I’m tired of the hyping of new products and then on to the next thing. It’s like they are selling cars or computers. There was so much hype about the Grand Pacifics and then this year it’s like they’ve forgotten all about them. I don’t know, I just really am not fond of the silent satin finish and was hoping for some updates or expansion to the Grand Pacific line. It’s like they’ve already moved on. They will support the sound port until next year when they come out with something else new.
Can't believe in saying this but i agree with you and quite honestly I'm getting tired of Taylor marketing and tired of Andy Powers. I've been a Taylor nut since my first one in the early 2000's but I'm really turned off of them anymore. I did buy a 317ce GP and was very disappointed with it and it didn't last long. I'm also tired of hearing about their conservation horn tooting. I used to search for Taylor threads on this forum but now I'm all about the value and quality of Yamaha. Now i look for Yamaha threads.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-22-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine Foxy Lady or Purple Haze on an oversized acoustic....
How about Hey Joe?

https://youtu.be/CjLueBxbbn8
Old 02-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Maybe it’s to have an alternative mic option- further from finger/string noise.
Though you can probably plug it in...
Weird
Old 02-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2 View Post
The latest Wood & Steele Taylor mailer has an interview with A. Powers explaining "a second smaller hole broadens the response. It extends the peak of the note." I'm sure they have measured it and I would assume one could hear it.

Not too pretty though, in my opinion.

Edit: He also states that a port on the side can make tuning a bit more difficult in his experience.
Yeah. I saw this as well and through the BS flag. I think the port on the side is not there because of the location of Taylor electronics. He even says so. But the part about tuning, no, the guitars are to well made for that to be a problem.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

That sound port is in the wrong place!

Surely it should be here:

For me, the problem with Taylor guitars is that they just don't look like workhorse instruments - and that's sort of what I like.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I’ve played custom instruments with the soundport in the usual spot. Which is on the side facing up towards you. It acts like a personal monitor and gives the player more volume. You can argue about the overall merits but it does it’s intended job effectively.

This hole in the scooped area treble side pointing out.......not sure what it will accomplish. Besides hype and another thing for Taylor and guitar nerds like us to talk about. I am starting to feel the car salesman approach about change for just change sake. Feels like the golf industry with the newest latest greatest driver being hyped every year. That gets tiresome after a while
Old 02-22-2020, 02:34 PM

As the owner of a first gen GS model, I'll bet the new one sounds great! But I think the soundport/cutaway looks odd. Fortunately I'm not in the market for a new Taylor GS...
Old 02-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Feels like the golf industry with the newest latest greatest driver being hyped every year.

I get a kick out of the 20 handicappers that buy the next 500.00 driver. I'm still playing a Callaway Hawkeye 7 degree and doing just fine!

But make sure you go out and get that new Mavrick.....it will go 30 yds farther.....into the trees.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:49 PM

When I got the latest issue of Taylor's propaganda magazine and saw this I thought of the Ford Edsel. No way that appeals to me in the slightest. As for Mr. Powers and Taylor's relentless hyping of V class bracing, if I owned an X brace Taylor I'd be ticked off at how they're promoting V class. It's almost as if they've purposely tried to obsolete every guitar they made prior to Powers arrival.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I think it prevents the guitar from overheating with a "hot" picker / strummer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion