The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Default Martin Sealed Tuner Replacement

I wanted to swap the Martin-branded sealed tuners on a Dread Junior I just purchased for an open back alternative. Photo attached of the tuners in question.

Has anyone replaced these with (or know of) an open-back tuner option that would be a direct match with the existing screw hole location on these particular tuners?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 AM

Most open back tuners do not have a front nut that threads into the tuner. They have press-in bushings. As a result, they require two screws on the back.
Gotoh has one model of open tuner with the screw-in bushing, but it still has two screws on the back. You could just install the lower screw, but then you will have an empty upper hole on the tuner.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Most open back tuners do not have a front nut that threads into the tuner. They have press-in bushings. As a result, they require two screws on the back.
Gotoh has one model of open tuner with the screw-in bushing, but it still has two screws on the back. You could just install the lower screw, but then you will have an empty upper hole on the tuner.
Understood, I'm prepared to work with conversion bushings and drill the second screw hole.

I was mainly just trying to find a set that would let me use the existing screw hole to make alignment a no-brainer, rather than have to fill the existing one and re-drill.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 AM

Most Grover repros are close enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair