The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Spanish Cedar - Tonal Characteristics??

I am considering Spanish Cedar or Mahogany for my upcoming John Walker build (00 or NL body style) and am searching for insights regarding the tonal characteristics of Spanish Cedar.

I have read the specs available and that SC "is like mahogany," but wonder if anyone who has an instrument w/back and sides made of this wood, or who has built one (and presumably played it,) can add further insight to this comparison? How are these woods similar or different tonally?

Luthier likes them both! I can decide based on visuals if it really is a toss-up but thought I'd try to mine the experience banks further if possible ; )
Old 05-08-2020, 02:22 PM

I think that it is similar to Mahogany in terms of hardness and workability but have no idea how if or how it might sound different. I have a luthier built uke and it has Spanish Cedar as neck material and Khaya for the body. The Khaya looks very very pretty and I am not sure if you can get similar chatoyance from cedar.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Hoping Paul (Guitars44me) will chime in here--he just had a J Kinnaird custom made from spanish cedar...

Here's the link to the build thread...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=spanish+cedar
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Yes thank you! I read through that build thread. I hope so too; John Kinnaird input would also be great! As well as anyone else out there...?!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure you know this, but Spanish Cedar has historically been used for necks and for kerfing. Martin used it for necks--interchangeably with Mahogany--in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My 1898 Style 3 mandolin, for example, has a Spanish Cedar neck. But, Paul's (2nd?) latest Kinnaird aside, I've never heard of it being used for back and sides. I'm sure it'll sound very, very similar to Mahogany if 150+ years of guitar makers' treating it that way is anything to go by.

This being the AGF, you may get some answers about the most minute differences from Mahogany ... but that probably says more about that specific guitar (the that person's ears) than it does Spanish Cedar as a whole. I don't think there are enough guitars out there with Spanish Cedar back and sizes to extract any generalizations about the tonewood as a whole. I'm ready to be proven wrong, though
Old 05-08-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
I'm sure you know this, but Spanish Cedar has historically been used for necks and for kerfing. Martin used it for necks--interchangeably with Mahogany--in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My 1898 Style 3 mandolin, for example, has a Spanish Cedar neck. But, Paul's (2nd?) latest Kinnaird aside, I've never heard of it being used for back and sides. I'm sure it'll sound very, very similar to Mahogany if 150+ years of guitar makers' treating it that way is anything to go by.

This being the AGF, you may get some answers about the most minute differences from Mahogany ... but that probably says more about that specific guitar (the that person's ears) than it does Spanish Cedar as a whole. I don't think there are enough guitars out there with Spanish Cedar back and sizes to extract any generalizations about the tonewood as a whole. I'm ready to be proven wrong, though
Good points!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

I think I’ve built 6 guitars with SC and it’s a drop in for Honduras Mahogany tonally only a tad lighter in weight. It’s very close in weight and density to African Khya mahogany which works equally well. It’s pleasantly aromatic too if you happen to be a sound hole sniffer? I love it for necks too.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile Here I am....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I think I’ve built 6 guitars with SC and it’s a drop in for Honduras Mahogany tonally only a tad lighter in weight. It’s very close in weight and density to African Khya mahogany which works equally well. It’s pleasantly aromatic too if you happen to be a sound hole sniffer? I love it for necks too.
First I totally agree with Tim McKnight. It is measurably lighter in weight than Mahogany. And of course Mahoganies are about the lightest wood going for guitars.

My newest JK is 1/2" bigger than the former ones but no more heavy at all.
Mine sounds remarkably like my Second JK custom which is mahogany back and sides with the WRcedar top. Of course Both sound fantastic, as do all John's instruments I have heard. But the new SC/WRC is even more so in all respects.

I was fortunate to score quarter sawn straight grain almost 10 year old SC wood with a lovely figure. If you are looking for the wood sets, I can certainly recommend David at Terra Tone Wood. He really went way out of his way to help me and John. JK bought one of his sets, as well.

For such a BIG axe it weighs much less than one would expect. Smells great too

For the next I am having John use SC for linings, end and neck blocks (laminated with Padouk) and the neck as well. I want light necks, thanks!!!

If you like Mahogany gits from your Luthier you should like SC and your shoulder will too!

I hope this helps

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 05-08-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:33 PM

I too have a spanish cedar sitka OO made by Steve Kinnaird. It is very light and very nice. I would put it in the Mahogany family for sure. This particular guitar is very balanced and works well for all styles in my opinion.

I will definitely defer to Tim McKnight for sure or other luthiers, but I like it and it does smell great.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:16 PM

Spanish Cedar is just a tad heavier than Sitka (29 lb/ft3 as compared to 27) and a hair harder. Not giving anyone ideas, just saying.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:44 PM

Martin has already used it in their own guitars.
http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Mart...rondack-1/1091

Very nice
Old 05-09-2020, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

As has been said, SC is so much like Mahogany tonally that you might be hard-pressed to discern the subtle differences. It IS lighter in weight, and loftier in aroma. It can be straight grained and rather plain, or in rare samples can be stunningly figured.
This set was a once-in-a-career find for us, supplied by Terra Tonewoods:

IMG_3197.jpg

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-09-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Many thanks to all for the info. The weight factor is appealing. Terra has some very nice (to my eye) sets at present. OTOH John has some beautiful bee's wing figured mahogany too. Talk about your first world dilemmas...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop