The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM

Aesthetics aside, I played birds that were ok and some good ones. However, two years ago I came across a True Vintage or Vintage bird that it was absolutely incredible to strum and fingerpick. This particular instrument's sound was in my head as to how a mahogany guitar should sound.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Aesthetics aside, I played birds that were ok and some good ones. However, two years ago I came across a True Vintage or Vintage bird that it was absolutely incredible to strum and fingerpick. This particular instrument's sound was in my head as to how a mahogany guitar should sound.
that's the one I have. Totally agree!
Old 02-24-2020, 03:29 PM

I learned to flat pick so I have something else to play in a bluegrass jam when there's another banjo, and have pretty much only played Martin-type dreds (surprise). My current is a Santa Cruz TR (circa 2000) that I absolutely love (surprise). This fall l inherited a 1967-68 Hummingbird natural from a relative who bought it new. That guitar has barely been played in its lifetime and lived destrung in its case, on a shelf. Objectively a mint example. So when it was gifted to me I strung it up, checked the setup (noticing the narrow neck), and started playing it. My first thought was 'now that's different.' Sound is more ....monolithic?...less articulate and more blended. Different
Old 02-24-2020, 04:58 PM

I love the short scale, but way too expensive for my needs. I’d sober but a j45, but my wife would love a hummingbird.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion