The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Smile Beginner guitar for 6 year old ?

Any suggestions for a beginner (1st "real") guitar for a 6 year old ?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 AM

Ukulele.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:28 AM

Yamaha JR1.

EDIT: they cost $150 new but I'm sure you could find a used one for way less than that. At 6 years old I can tell you that I wasn't really mature enough to actually play on an entry level guitar and was decades away from being trustworthy with a Martin - and Taylor was just getting started them. I'm sure that had my grandparents lived, they wouldn't have wanted to spend a lot of money on a student grade instrument and with the bigger brands you pay extra just for the name on the headstock; the Martin LXK2 costs twice the price of the Yamaha; the Taylor GS Mini even more.

BTW, my son takes trumpet in band. We've rented one for 3 years now. A student grade trumpet costs nearly $800. Last I checked school band doesn't teach guitar though. Darn.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 02-24-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:17 AM

Default Agree

Ukulele. Easier and the child will succeed. And then translate the skill to guitar in about 3-4 years.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 AM

Martin LXK2
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-24-2020, 05:26 AM

I bought my 7 year old a cheap (£55) half-size nylon string from the local shop. It's small enough for her to play.

Lessons are the most important part.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Yamaha jr1 and put extra light strings on it.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:53 AM
Dan - Charter Member

I got a JR1 several years ago. Mine is ... OK, in terms of tone, but it's not great. You might try a few different samples. I put 10's or 11's silk and steel strings on it.

It definitely needed a setup; that would be especially important for a child.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM

A minority vote here, I'm sure...

6 years old? Look into those First Act acoustic guitars.
They're inexpensive, so those no crying if it gets damaged...Remember...6 years old.
...And they play like guitars.

If the motivating factor is that the kid wants a guitar, then get him/her a guitar.

This is not to disparage the uke recommendations at all. Just offering another alternative.

Incidentally, I have a First Act acoustic. Small for my hands of course, but definitely playable. I bought it as a camping guitar.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Ukulele.
This. I teach a lot of kids. A ukulele is the path to success for most kids under 8-9 years old. Any size is ok. Baritone is fine if the kid is certain to switch to guitar, but the other sizes tend to be more fun.

It’s just easier to get started playing music. There are exceptions, and some kids are determined enough to play guitar. But uke is a more certain path to joy and success at that age.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM

Here are a few ideas:

You might see if you can find a good deal on a lightly used Baby Taylor. I found them to have a tone that was closer to a larger guitar than the similarly-sized Yamaha, Martin, or Córdoba guitars. Also important — I thought the gig bag was the best of that group as well.

Don’t rule out electric. My daughter — who started playing a year or two ago at a similar age — tends to prefer playing a Squier Mini Strat to the Baby Taylor because the slimmer body, faster neck, and lighter strings are easier for her to manage. I think she also likes that it makes her feel like a rock or pop star.

Another cool option is the Loog guitars. Similar to a ukulele but even more simple. My friend got his little guy one of these and had good things to say.

Good luck and realize at that age it’s a battle for them just to hold the guitar right and form basic chord shapes. But seeing kids show interest in and play guitars at that age is pretty adorable and worth a little investment and patience!

Last edited by ataylor; 02-24-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The size of the child is a factor. That said, when s/he is big enough, one of the Taylor Academy series might be a good choice.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM

If the child wants a guitar get a guitar that fits them properly. That is the first step to keeping them interested.

I was in a local shop last summer. A young man came in with is mother. He appeared to be about 8 or 9. He was really wanting an acoustic guitar. Mom wasn't going to spend more than $50 tops. The poor kid with home with an inexpensive ukulele. Judging by his actions it will never be played and mom will say "See you won't play what I got you".

The shop had some Alvarez beginner setups for $199. I came real close to saying "Mom, how much you got"? Get this and I'll make up the difference.

The more I think about it the more upset I get with my self for not doing it. The first step to learning is you have to want to learn.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-24-2020, 10:49 AM

6 years old?

I'd suggest you consider a Ibenez piccolo guitar. It looks good, will play easily, and is tuned A to A. You and capo at the fifth and show your new "student" how to play, including chord forms, etc.

In a few years you can up the game with a Taylor GS Mini that will bridge the comfort gap until the pre-teen years.

What's in it for you? If the interest doesn't hold or there's a need for a larger instrument later these will make great couch guitars for you!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM

We got my daughter a 3/4 acoustic when she was 10. It was a good size for her but it was the ukulele that she got a few years later that really got her playing. Much of what she learned on uke she easily applied to the guitar when she went back to it. My vote is for the uke also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion