The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 05:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Go to the Iridium for jazz.

bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
Similar minds..
The Sam Ash on 34th by Penn Station is a good one too. Right across the street is B&H Wearhouse, the Disneyland of electronics IMO.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/
Not to quibble but those of us who toil here daily think of it as the B&H SuperStore. :-)

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 02-24-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

You simply must go to Carmine Street guitars because its the most unique and interesting guitar shop in the world. Wander back far enough to find Rick Kelly and/or Cindy Hulej and ask if you can go in the workshop in the back. They make guitars out of the construction timbers of some of the oldest buildings in the city. It's an awesome place to go cuz nothing is anything like it.

Rudy's in SOHO is amazing, but the opposite in just about every way ;-)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
You simply must go to Carmine Street guitars because its the most unique and interesting guitar shop in the world. Wander back far enough to find Rick Kelly and/or Cindy Hulej and ask if you can go in the workshop in the back. They make guitars out of the construction timbers of some of the oldest buildings in the city. It's an awesome place to go cuz nothing is anything like it.

Rudy's in SOHO is amazing, but the opposite in just about every way ;-)
The people at Rudy's (especially the manager Gordon) are among the very finest folks around. But they drastically changed the setup recently and 90% of the acoustics are now Taylor (own room) and Martin (own room) and the luthier instruments are squeezed in a tiny makeshift. It's still a mecca for electrics though.

To me, the only special place left for acoustics is Retrofret. (I bought my L-0 there). They are also super warm and knowledgeable. I recommend playing one of their Larsons!
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
The people at Rudy's (especially the manager Gordon) are among the very finest folks around. But they drastically changed the setup recently and 90% of the acoustics are now Taylor (own room) and Martin (own room) and the luthier instruments are squeezed in a tiny makeshift. It's still a mecca for electrics though.

To me, the only special place left for acoustics is Retrofret. (I bought my L-0 there). They are also super warm and knowledgeable. I recommend playing one of their Larsons!
Just to be very clear - I wasn't being remotely critical of Rudy's. Rudy's is an insanely beautiful showroom, designed beautifully, huge amazing selection and the museum of Archtops is something else, as are the photos...it's incredible. Carmine Street guitars is a tiny, over-packed dark place with a 1' layer of dust over everything...and that's it's charm. It's worth going in to see why.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

If you just want to go around and play some guitars then the stores in ihe City are great. If you actually want to buy a guitar, you've got to hop on the Long Island RailRoad and come out to Music Zoo in Melville;

https://www.themusiczoo.com/

It's by far the best guitar store in the area; custom Martin's, custom Taylors, Gibsons, Lowden, high end Yamahas and tons of electrics. All in a modern, clean, well designed store. They honor all internet prices. It's worth the trip out from the City.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion