The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Default Keeping chisels safe

Hello everyone!

I was making a work bench for myself to keep my workspace de-cluttered (at least that's the thought).

I was making a little chubby to keep my chisels in, the thought being having them rest in a little box on cedar so that the edge won't get worn at all. But, I've also heard it's good to keep tools in sand mixed with a little oil to keep the rust off and keep things sharp. But, I know sand is abrasive, and can scratch.

So, would putting chisels edge first in a bit of sand be a good idea? Or would it do more harm than good?
Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM

I’ve not heard that putting tips in sand/oil would prevent damage, but it probably would. It’d be messy, though.

I like tip protectors. When I’m done using an edge tool and not ready to resharpen it, the tip cover goes back on. Tip covers are cheap at woodworking shops, and when I can’t find one, I make one out of Sugru, the moldable plastic.

The key thing is to remember that while steel is hard, the dimensions of a sharpened edge are surprisingly tiny and as such are prone to damage from relatively innocuous contact. So protect your sharpened edges - tool roll, tip protectors, sand/oil, whatever - and your tools will stay sharper.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:52 PM

Personally, I'd never store my chisels in or near sand. The backs of my chisels are polished to a mirror shine at 8000 grit. Typical sand would scratch them.

I store my most used chisels in a wall-mounted rack that I made by drilling some holes in a 2 x 4. One of those sets I've had for more than three decades. I found that a light dusting of lacquer has kept the rust off of them in the areas that don't see sharpening.

I've also found that a leather roll eliminates rust on steel planes and chisels. I don't know why it does, but it does. It also protects them when not in use. My favourite is this one: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...ases&node=4108

I haven't found treated "plane socks" to work particularly well, but better than nothing.

You can also lightly dust surfaces with a rust retardant, such as GlideCote, or similar: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...urface-sealant. I've found GlideCote works pretty well.

I also don't want oil on my hand tools. The oil transfers to my hands and to my woodwork. I don't want that.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I make one out of Sugru, the moldable plastic.
I have some, but have never thought of using it for that. Good idea.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I would never store them in sand.

As far as keeping them from rusting, look at light oil or keep them coated in paraffin. That will seal them from oxygen. Also remember you want to keep your chisels very sharp so that means frequent sharpening. Keep a leather stroupe close and use it often.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

To keep rust off my turning tools, I rub the ends with paraffin (wax) or if I dont have any handy, I'll use a crayon. It's harmless, removes itself upon first use and keeps moisture from touching the metal. I imagine this would work on my chisels as well.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-23-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Personally, I'd never store my chisels in or near sand. The backs of my chisels are polished to a mirror shine at 8000 grit. Typical sand would scratch them.

I store my most used chisels in a wall-mounted rack that I made by drilling some holes in a 2 x 4. One of those sets I've had for more than three decades. I found that a light dusting of lacquer has kept the rust off of them in the areas that don't see sharpening.

I've also found that a leather roll eliminates rust on steel planes and chisels. I don't know why it does, but it does. It also protects them when not in use. My favourite is this one: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...ases&node=4108

I haven't found treated "plane socks" to work particularly well, but better than nothing.

You can also lightly dust surfaces with a rust retardant, such as GlideCote, or similar: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...urface-sealant. I've found GlideCote works pretty well.

I also don't want oil on my hand tools. The oil transfers to my hands and to my woodwork. I don't want that.
I’ve padded on shellac - Gene Clark did a class on that in Healdsburg > 20 years ago, and it turned out to be a great idea. Lacquer works too, as you noted. I like tool rolls and protective tips because I have a tight shop and it allows for storage in a drawer.

And yeah, Sugru is awesome stuff. It works to make better handles on finger planes, too.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I hang my everyday chisels in a rack, and keep my specialty chisels lined up in a drawer. I have never given any consideration to oxidization, nor have I seen any.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:32 PM

Rust? Never seen that on any of my chisels or planes. I work in a very tightly controlled shop though. I use water stones too but make sure to towel dry them off when done.

My chisels are either on a bench with nothing else around them or on a magnetic bar rack where the tip hangs free.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:50 AM
Charter Member

Traditionally, the japanese used camelia oil wiped on their edge tools and swords to keep them from rusting. A bamboo knuckle, with a roll of cloth jammed in, filled with camelia oil, was wiped across freshly sharpened edges. Its non-toxic, food safe ( if not modified ) and works as well or better than most other materials. Worth considering -
Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 AM

In the Mid-Atlantic I have spent years in a shop in a damp basement and years in a shop in a not-so damp basement and have not yet seen any rust. I might let them go for 6 months to see if there is a problem. I hang mine like Charles does on a 1 X 2 with holes and slots to get them in and out easily.

One very old craftsman I knew in the 70's kept a softball sized ball of sheep's wool in his shop and when he was done with a tool he would wipe it with the wool. The lanolin in the wool lightly coated the tool. All of his tools were shiny shiny shiny with no fingerprints or rust rash anywhere - most looked brand new.

You can make custom, form-fitting covers for all your chisels and gouges easily. Wrap blue tape around the tip backwards - sticky side out - a couple of wraps. Go up the blade about 1-1/2". Dip the tip in liquid tool handle rubber a few times, let dry, slide the cover off the tool and snip a clean line with a pair of scissors. Voila - tight fitting protection.

I think sand is not a good idea

Ed
Old 02-26-2020, 07:54 PM

For my smaller chisels, I use the plastic foam wine corks (not the true cork corks). Just jam 'em in. No worries yet.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:52 AM

I too keep my chisels in the often-used 2x2 with holes drilled with Forstner bits. If you have a shop where humidity is a problem then store them in a drawer with a diaper pail deodorizer block (or other camphor source such as "moth balls". That creates an environment in which to store your chisels that displaces oxygen so rust can't form.

The MUCH greater potential source to chisel edges in the everyday work environment is placing them on a work bench and having them roll off and hit the floor.

If my chisels don't come with a flat surface on the handle then I give them a few seconds on the belt sander. It's saved a LOT of work for me.

The only place I think sand is appropriate is in the closed bag that I use as a fret buck for necks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair