The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-19-2020, 06:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Spire problem

In the last couple days, after using my Spire linked to my recent iPad, the Spire shuts itself off repeatedly after only being on for about 10 - 15 seconds. A "problems" screen pops up with something about an issue with IPads. There are some suggestions which included dumping all the devices that my iPad recognizes, then reinstalling them, including the Spire app. I really don't want to do this as it would require lots of digging up forgotten passwords, etc.

Another option it said was to reboot the iPad. That seems to work but i might take two or three times of rebooting for it to again sync. This is a major PIA because I use the Spire with my guitar students to record and send sound files and the time it takes to repeatedly reboot takes away valuable teaching time.

What is confounding is the fact that the Spire has worked fine for about three months and I've done at least 50 or more recordings with it.

If anyone else has this problem or better yet, a solution I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Gene
Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I haven't run into that issue. My Spire gave me the "Whoops!" message last week and dumped a nearly finished project. I found that there was a firmware update that I had missed. No issues since that.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Jim - how did you install the firmware update? I thought about reinstalling the Spire app on my IPad but I'm afraid I will lose the recordings I've already done if I do that. Thanks!

Gene

capecodacoustcs.com
Old 02-20-2020, 06:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just submitted my problem to them via their contact page. I will post what they say when I receive a response.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

The firmware update is loaded from your iPad to the Spire unit. All pretty seamless. I have projects on the Spire app that I am working on, but once done, I transfer that to my MacBook Pro (and a backup hard-drive) for archiving.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The firmware update is loaded from your iPad to the Spire unit. All pretty seamless. I have projects on the Spire app that I am working on, but once done, I transfer that to my MacBook Pro (and a backup hard-drive) for archiving.
Jim - I did the update and my overall procedure is exactly like what you do including the MacBook Pro, with a few steps in between as noted below. I did have some great back and forth with someone from the company and they were helpful although he said they'd never heard of this problem. Everything went fine for a few sessions but then it happened again last night. Rebooting my IPad made it right BUT.... as I said initially, I just hope I don't have to do this every day when I teach as it would be a major PIA. We'll see what happens today (I've been trying to do at least one recording per day for the last month or so for my own use).

The guy from the company wanted me to send them the log (?) so they could look at it.... I have no idea how to do that.

Also, it seemed to happen when I turned on the Spire before the IPad. I've been trying to make sure the IPad is on before turning on the Spire. Time will tell if this contributes to the problem.

As a side note, after I send my projects to my MacBook Pro I download the sound file, then move it into a simple editing program called Amadeus Lite (free), use that to trim the beginning and end to eliminate the count-in and get the appropriate amount of fade at the end, boost volume if needed. I also change it to a WAV file and save that as that is necessary for the next step, which is.....

(I know I could send myself a WAV file via the Spire, but the email I use - yahoo mail - does not allow that large a file to be attached to an email)

I have subscribed to emastered.com which I love - it does an amazing job of automatically adjusting compression, EQ, stereo depth, volume, clarity (as needed). I upload the WAV file to emastered because that is what they want, it is just dragged into the site when it's opened, then have it sent back to me as a MP3. That file is emailed back via a setting on emastered, download, and save each project to folders.

This results is a digital record of everything I've done and I love it! FWIW, the results with emastered.com are as good or better than when I used to send my raw files made with older recording equipment to professional online mastering services that were costing me a LOT on a per-song basis. I know I could do the mastering myself if I had top-notch software, speakers, etc. but alas I don't have those things at this point.

Gene

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD