The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2020, 11:45 PM

Default Ibanez Joe Satriani guitars

Does anybody here play one of these? School me, thank you.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:38 PM

Although i am totally enamored with the look of these guitars(like a softly melting marshmallow Stratocaster) I couldn't get comfortable with the really flat radius neck.

Like most popular guitars, there are different series and price points, and with that come different hardware and electronics. How much horse power do you want to buy, the car guys say.

If it weren't for the neck I would have at least the lower end model, but that and the fact i am no shred guitarist and don't have the skills for such a beauty like that doesn't make sense for me.
I hope it works for you!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Although i am totally enamored with the look of these guitars(like a softly melting marshmallow Stratocaster) I couldn't get comfortable with the really flat radius neck.

Like most popular guitars, there are different series and price points, and with that come different hardware and electronics. How much horse power do you want to buy, the car guys say.

If it weren't for the neck I would have at least the lower end model, but that and the fact i am no shred guitarist and don't have the skills for such a beauty like that doesn't make sense for me.
I hope it works for you!
Thanks for the reply. I play all of my guitars pretty badly, as for shredding, mine's in reverse. I had a 2015 Gibson SG with the flatter neck and I loved it, (just not the robot-tuners). Really excited about the sounds this guitar can make, even in slow motion.....
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Thanks for the reply. I play all of my guitars pretty badly, as for shredding, mine's in reverse. I had a 2015 Gibson SG with the flatter neck and I loved it, (just not the robot-tuners). Really excited about the sounds this guitar can make, even in slow motion.....
I just checked the 2015 Gibson SG specs ... I didn't realize (or I had forgotten) that it has a 10" - 16" compound radius, unlike the standard Gibson 12". I'd like to have one of those!

I just checked 4 of Satriani's Made in Japan signature models on the Ibanez website and all of them have a 9.8" radius and a thicker neck than the Wizard neck found on most Ibanez guitars (https://www.ibanez.com/eu/artists/detail/183.html).

Are you looking for the $$$ Japanese model or something less expensive?

This site lists all of Satriani's Ibanez models through the years. There are a couple dozen. I checked a JS100 and it shows one year a radius of 15.7" and the other production years it was 9.8".

https://www.joesatrianiuniverse.com/...ez-js-guitars/
Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, I saw on another thread that you had one with a “sustainiac” neck pick up on order! Did you take delivery yet? That’s going to be a blast(think Schools Out/Alice Cooper)

I saw Satch play at Starland Ballroom in NJ, must be ten or twelve years ago and he was blisteringly hot. Him, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson were on tour at the time.
It was guitarmagedon that night.

Best of luck with your new axe!
Old 01-11-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, I saw on another thread that you had one with a “sustainiac” neck pick up on order! Did you take delivery yet? That’s going to be a blast(think Schools Out/Alice Cooper)

I saw Satch play at Starland Ballroom in NJ, must be ten or twelve years ago and he was blisteringly hot. Him, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson were on tour at the time.

Thanks! I ordered the one with the sustain-iac....I ordered the Japanese model, (expensive), I've been so into Gibson, Fender, PRS, Gretsch, Dan-O. This should be really fun and different.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wow, that must have been some show. Satch has a wonderful sense of melody - I love EJ, but I think Satch might be my top choice among those 3. Ej for tone, Satch for listenability of his playing.

I respect Vai's talent, but I don't enjoy his playing at all.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I ordered the one with the sustain-iac....I ordered the Japanese model, (expensive), I've been so into Gibson, Fender, PRS, Gretsch, Dan-O. This should be really fun and different.
Sweet. What Satriani model is it? How long before you get it?
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM

I was very lucky to be able to play a friends JS2410 just a couple days ago. It was awesome. It did everything. It simply sounded phenomenal.. superb quality...fit and finish was impeccable, comfortable neck. Incredibly versatile in terms of the tones it will put out. Merle Travis and the Scorpions on the same guitar....very cool. That said, my only complaint was although it was awesome, I really didn't think it was $2500 - awesome. (I thought the red color was ridiculous, but that's just old-school me)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post
I was very lucky to be able to play a friends JS2410 just a couple days ago. It was awesome. It did everything. It simply sounded phenomenal.. superb quality...fit and finish was impeccable, comfortable neck. Incredibly versatile in terms of the tones it will put out. Merle Travis and the Scorpions on the same guitar....very cool. That said, my only complaint was although it was awesome, I really didn't think it was $2500 - awesome. (I thought the red color was ridiculous, but that's just old-school me)
They are expensive guitars. If it didn't have Satriani's name on it the guitar would probably sell for $200-$300 less I'm guessing.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I just checked the 2015 Gibson SG specs ... I didn't realize (or I had forgotten) that it has a 10" - 16" compound radius, unlike the standard Gibson 12". I'd like to have one of those!

I just checked 4 of Satriani's Made in Japan signature models on the Ibanez website and all of them have a 9.8" radius and a thicker neck than the Wizard neck found on most Ibanez guitars (https://www.ibanez.com/eu/artists/detail/183.html).

Are you looking for the $$$ Japanese model or something less expensive?

This site lists all of Satriani's Ibanez models through the years. There are a couple dozen. I checked a JS100 and it shows one year a radius of 15.7" and the other production years it was 9.8".

https://www.joesatrianiuniverse.com/...ez-js-guitars/
Hi Dru: I ordered the JS 2480, but it will be a month or two before I get it.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yowza! That looks like a whole lotta fun to me. Muscle Car Red...geez!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Sweet! Looking forward to your review. It's going to be a keeper.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 PM

Thank you!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars