The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Guest 928

Default Re: Waiting

I see that the Awaiting thread has reached its maximum message load, and I got the last word. Given the give and take on this forum I know that there really is no such thing as the last word, so to continue the chat I've graciously reopened the conversation. You're welcome.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Evan, I know we are all interested in Jim's progress. Never good to see another Forum member suffering. Plus he puts on some pretty good sound clips he makes with his CF guitars....
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks Evan, I know we are all interested in Jim's progress. Never good to see another Forum member suffering. Plus he puts on some pretty good sound clips he makes with his CF guitars....
Suffering... part of the healing process? It's all good, John. I had a bit of a setback on Saturday: seems I pulled (felt more like a "pop") a muscle while exercising. So, off the cane, back to the walker, and a reduced exercise schedule since then. I am guessing the PT guy will OK me for the cane again tomorrow, so I hope to get back on schedule.

While this current hip situation is occupying most of my time, I come to this forum for the music/guitars discussion. I don't wanna be one of those old guys who talks about his ailments.

On an unrelated subject, I suggested that Mark and I call our duo the Gimpy Hipsters.

Time to go make some music.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Guest 928

Let us know how the caning goes. Any pictures?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Let us know how the caning goes. Any pictures?
For full disclosure, I have a couple canes... my favorite (well, the one I use the most) is wood. Great, now I have to go look to see if anyone makes a carbon fiber cane.

Yep, they do. Of course, they are more expensive than wood.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 PM

My kayak paddles are carbon fiber.

Awkward for a caning (good for paddling).

“There’s no end to what I don’t know”
Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

In the better of two worlds, I'd rather be caned with wood than carbon fiber.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I don't wanna be one of those old guys who talks about his ailments.
My buddies and I have taken to calling that an "organ recital".
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

In the better of these two threads, there would be no caning. Not even a cane mutiny. Ice cream instead of sugar cane. Joan found a carbon fiber cane with flames. That’s hot.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My buddies and I have taken to calling that an "organ recital".
You are twisted, my friend; I appreciate that quality.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
For full disclosure, I have a couple canes... my favorite (well, the one I use the most) is wood. Great, now I have to go look to see if anyone makes a carbon fiber cane.

Yep, they do. Of course, they are more expensive than wood.
Well at least you don't have to humidify it. Get well soon Captain.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

My recuperation is moving along. I credit some of that to the carbon fiber cane Joan bought for me (besides the CF weave, it has flames). Yesterday was my last in-home PT session. I am driving again, and have been cleared to try riding a bicycle, if I can get a leg over it. No boating yet (falling risk), and getting back on the scoots will be a while.

I am walking with a cane, up to about 1/3 of a mile on each of my 3 times daily walks. Doing my exercises 3 times daily, as well. No more pain meds, other than the occasional ibuprofen. Yeah, it still hurts; but that is getting better, too.

My Honey has been a champ through all of this. To make my life easier, she brought one of my guitars into the living room and put it on a stand... "Now you can pick it up and play whenever you want." I am good with getting into my music room, but she said she likes having one guitar in the living room. Who am I to argue with that? Being able to play has also made a difference in heading back towards "normal." (That is a relative term.)

Six weeks today. Seems like it has been a tough haul, but glad to see some significant improvement in the last two weeks. Last update on this... I don't want to be one of those guys who talks about his maladies.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 06-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Oh no...you got maladies too ?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
My recuperation is moving along. I credit some of that to the carbon fiber cane Joan bought for me (besides the CF weave, it has flames). Yesterday was my last in-home PT session. I am driving again, and have been cleared to try riding a bicycle, if I can get a leg over it. No boating yet (falling risk), and getting back on the scoots will be a while.

I am walking with a cane, up to about 1/3 of a mile on each of my 3 times daily walks. Doing my exercises 3 times daily, as well. No more pain meds, other than the occasional ibuprofen. Yeah, it still hurts; but that is getting better, too.

My Honey has been a champ through all of this. To make my life easier, she brought one of my guitars into the living room and put it on a stand... "Now you can pick it up and play whenever you want." I am good with getting into my music room, but she said she likes having one guitar in the living room. Who am I to argue with that? Being able to play has also made a difference in heading back towards "normal." (That is a relative term.)

Six weeks today. Seems like it has been a tough haul, but glad to see some significant improvement in the last two weeks. Last update on this... I don't want to be one of those guys who talks about his maladies.

Best wishes,
Jim
Jim,
Sounds like you're through the worst of it. Hang in there, you'll be back to normal in no time! It sure is nice to have a supportive wife when you're feeling down, especially one that supports guitars!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Jim,
Sounds like you're through the worst of it. Hang in there, you'll be back to normal in no time! It sure is nice to have a supportive wife when you're feeling down, especially one that supports guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber