The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Smile Woohooooo....

My WORD, what a beauty!

I do not know how it could be any prettier!!!

I really like ALL the amazing details.

Amazing stuff! Congrats!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-14-2020, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Oooooh my dear....

I love how all the parts come together.. can't decide what I like most...if at all that neck is just mindblowing a touch more than the stunning everything else. A piece of art!
Any indication on the voice already ?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 AM

Default Amazing and inspiring work!!

As I said. Amazing! Beautiful work and pictures. Is it hard to inlay all if that abalone? This and your previous ebony guitar from Hatcher 16’ is amazing. I love how you put the abalone to frame the guitar. I would love to be able to do that. Wow. Thank you for showing off your workmanship.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
That's funny that you luthier chose Claro. I suppose it seems more exotic when it comes from another country.
I use LED lights for my photos. They come in different temperatures which set the tint between yellow and blue. 5000k is supposed to be neutral which is what my photo lights are and that is what a got for the shop lights.
Jim here. I'm a long time lurker on the custom shop boards and love to read the threads. You make some wonderful guitars, and it's a joy to watch and learn about the process.

I just thought I'd impart some useful information that I learned about domestic LED lighting, as it can be an absolute minefield to navigate (sorry if you already know). The most important thing to look at is the CRI or colour rendering index. If you want a really accurate light, you need to be purchasing bulbs with a CRI of 90+. They are always more expensive, but it makes a massive difference both in professional and residential use. The temperature of the bulb is the next consideration, which you obviously know.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Absolutely stunning, Mark!

The continuous line of the backstrip and laminated neck is a particular highlight. The woods, the ab purfling, and the overall lines are just wonderful.

Congrats on another winner!
Thanks Nemoman and thanks for the comments along the way. I’m very happy with how this one is coming along. I really like everything about the torrefied quartersawn, curly, Sugar Maple. I like the look, sound, workability and even the smell of it! I see myself making more instruments with this wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark...simply beautiful! What a gorgeous piece of work!
Thanks Treenewt! This was a lot of fun putting together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
My WORD, what a beauty!

I do not know how it could be any prettier!!!

I really like ALL the amazing details.

Amazing stuff! Congrats!

Paul
Thanks Paul, I just got a request for one more detail which will be a nice finishing touch for next week when I do final setup, I’ll be installing blue Paua dots on those Black Ebony bridge pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
I love how all the parts come together.. can't decide what I like most...if at all that neck is just mindblowing a touch more than the stunning everything else. A piece of art!
Any indication on the voice already ?
Thanks Lonzo, My first impression of the voice is I got just what I was hoping for, a little more overtones than I would normally get from Maple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapdog View Post
As I said. Amazing! Beautiful work and pictures. Is it hard to inlay all if that abalone? This and your previous ebony guitar from Hatcher 16’ is amazing. I love how you put the abalone to frame the guitar. I would love to be able to do that. Wow. Thank you for showing off your workmanship.
Thanks Rapdog! With the overall monotone of the wood coloring a little sparkle does add a nice accent.
It’s not really harder to put in the abalone, just a couple more steps.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-14-2020, 12:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayvis View Post
Jim here. I'm a long time lurker on the custom shop boards and love to read the threads. You make some wonderful guitars, and it's a joy to watch and learn about the process.

I just thought I'd impart some useful information that I learned about domestic LED lighting, as it can be an absolute minefield to navigate (sorry if you already know). The most important thing to look at is the CRI or colour rendering index. If you want a really accurate light, you need to be purchasing bulbs with a CRI of 90+. They are always more expensive, but it makes a massive difference both in professional and residential use. The temperature of the bulb is the next consideration, which you obviously know.
Thanks for that Jim! I didn’t know that. It seems the more you learn, the less you know! That was quite illuminating (sorry for the pun)

Steven Wright
Old 08-15-2020, 08:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back to the Tree Josie small jumbo

Let's get back to progress on the Tree Josie small jumbo.
Once I start cutting wood and have the beginnings of a guitar to look at there are typically a lot more decisions made.
We've decided to go with The Fiddleback Tree wood for the binding and likely the bevels:

That opens the door for selecting trim woods which will set the color pallet we'll work from.
One wood I suggested for the center of the rosette is this Maple burl wood:

This burl in particular has the vein type figure like a miniature version of The Tree tortoise shell figure.

We are also going to bring some red in with dark red Amboyna Burl.
This picture shows the general color scheme:

Here are two picture to show the beginnings of the rosette. First a mock up of the rosette circle:

This second picture is to give an idea of scale:

This is just the beginning of this rosette. There will be more details before we're done.

We've also decided to do the top purfling in the same dark red Amboyna Burl purfling.

More to come!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-20-2020, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Moving Along with the Tree Josie

The Maple I was using for the center of the rosette wasn't holding up well when cut to size and wet. The figure wasn't showing as well as it should of so I got a new slice from this big ol' Maple burl and replaced it:

We also worked out a 3D ornament that will sit at the bottom under the strings. It's kind of an Art Deco keystone shape:

The center is red burl bordered with leaves of Fiddleback Tree and The Tree

Here it is in place with the new Maple rosette center:

Steven Wright
Old 08-20-2020, 04:41 PM

The aesthetics of your builds have always impressed me. How can you top yourself? Well, with that 3D art deco piece, you've topped yourself. That rosette with the art deco piece is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-20-2020, 08:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

That keystone is soo cool. Dave
Old 08-21-2020, 03:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
The aesthetics of your builds have always impressed me. How can you top yourself? Well, with that 3D art deco piece, you've topped yourself. That rosette with the art deco piece is absolutely fantastic, in my opinion.
Thanks DanR, It seems on every build when the guitar is still somewhere between ideas and reality there comes a point where the two connect. In this case, it is this little keystone figure. It gets easy from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
That keystone is soo cool. Dave
Thanks Carpinteria, My client and I brainstormed to reach the final version of this one. I think it works. The 3d will help it show up under the strings and the strings will help to protect it and keep it out of the way.

Thanks for the comments!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 08-22-2020, 09:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Ready to Ship

The quilted and bearclawed Sitka and roasted Sugar Maple Piña parlor guitar is ready to ship. Charlie Chronopoulos came over to record a parting soundclip. I'm very happy with the characteristic Maple sound that comes through as well as the added sparkle brought with the roasting process. Give it a listen!

Thanks for viewing!

Mark

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-29-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Wow!
..it sounds BIG. Very warm and shimmery to my ears - matching her looks !
Thanks for the sound sample..
Old 08-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Stunning looks and sound on that Pina...I love it!
Old 08-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Sounds great, incredible sustain and prominent bass....another maple guitar blowing the stereotype out of the water.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop