The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 03:34 PM

Fantastic information Mark, as always!
Just wondering if you intentionally left out information regarding the neck block? You have a photo there, but no text. I'm very curious about the metal discs mounted there.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-08-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Mark, I found your comments on the acoustic effects of the internal blocks to be very interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting them. I’ll begin my 44th guitar build at the end of the summer and look forward to incorporating your ideas into it. Thanks, Dave
Not even close to building 44 but you point well taken. We all can learn so much from what some of the masters on this site share and explain their thinking on different aspects of this great craft. Think I will start looking for the 5/8" bit I have somewhere in the shop.

Bruce,
Old 07-09-2020, 04:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Attaching the back,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Mark, I found your comments on the acoustic effects of the internal blocks to be very interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting them. I’ll begin my 44th guitar build at the end of the summer and look forward to incorporating your ideas into it. Thanks, Dave
You're welcome Dave, I'm glad you found it helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark,

Thank you very much for taking the time to articulate your thoughts behind those small yet not insignificant parts of your builds. That was extremely helpful and thought provoking for me!
You're welcome Treenewt, guitars are wonderfully complicated there really is a lot to think through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Mark, I love these posts because I always learn something. I've considered weight and contact points before, but never wave phasing. Absolutely fascinating. And, as ever, thank you for the fabulous images
Thanks for your comments Erithon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Fantastic information Mark, as always!
Just wondering if you intentionally left out information regarding the neck block? You have a photo there, but no text. I'm very curious about the metal discs mounted there.
Yeah, there was a ton of information I left out about the neck block. As to the metal disks they are just hole covers. I think it looks a bit more finished that way and it becomes one less place to collect dust. Thanks for commenting Zandit75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Not even close to building 44 but you point well taken. We all can learn so much from what some of the masters on this site share and explain their thinking on different aspects of this great craft. Think I will start looking for the 5/8" bit I have somewhere in the shop.

Bruce,
Glad you found that helpful Bruce!

Thanks everyone!

With the sides all set up it is time to set up and attach the back:

With the back glued and trimmed we can get the first view of what the guitars' body will look like:

Thanks for following along
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Architecture

..is what this perspective reminds me of... statics, load bearing, load deflection (?), almost like standing in a big old structure, i.e. a church, but looking up... you see something quite similar... maybe far fetched but thats what came to mind

Beautiful to look at, both from the in- and the outside, technically and aesthetically.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back On Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post

..is what this perspective reminds me of... statics, load bearing, load deflection (?), almost like standing in a big old structure, i.e. a church, but looking up... you see something quite similar... maybe far fetched but thats what came to mind

Beautiful to look at, both from the in- and the outside, technically and aesthetically.
Thanks for commenting Lonzo, It is funny how the focal length of a lens can change our impression on how large something is.

Here I am gluing the first round of top braces:

After the braces are all on I voice the top and then it is ready to be glued on, closing the body:

Here we have the top on and trimmed:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Looking good, Mark! That bearclaw is outrageous, and the Sapele--WOW!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I second that...one of the most spectacular bearclaw tops I've seen. It looks like it's a bracing pattern!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Thanks Nemoman! It is off to a good start. Now it's a matter of how to trim these outrageous woods

Quote:
I second that...one of the most spectacular bearclaw tops I've seen. It looks like it's a bracing pattern!
Thanks Treenewt! It is a very unique set and it's a challenge to fit it into a guitar design and make it look like it has always belonged there!

I've struggled for months trying to figure out the best way to trim this wood combination. Both the top and the back/sides have a variety of strong colors and figure. I usually try to contrast the color or figure which serves to accent the overall shape of the guitar and bring visual clarity and definition to the instrument as a whole.
With this guitar I feel going with, say Black Ebony, looks like I'm putting a wild animal into a cage. I decided to take an untrodden path with this guitar. I am going to contrast it with itself. You may have seen the Sapele sapwood trim I've already placed inside the cutaway, I am doing the same with the end graft:

It all won't be as simple as that. There is more to come!
Thanks for following along

Mark

Old 07-11-2020, 11:52 AM

I love that idea Mark! When you're working with material that beautiful to begin with, why not?!
Old 07-12-2020, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Default A joy to watch

Each time I think it won‘t get any better.. and then there is another Hatcher that proves me wrong... keep it going, such a joy to watch those great woods and what you make of them.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Update on Torrified Hard Maple Piña

Quote:
I love that idea Mark! When you're working with material that beautiful to begin with, why not?!
Thanks Treenewt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Each time I think it won‘t get any better.. and then there is another Hatcher that proves me wrong... keep it going, such a joy to watch those great woods and what you make of them.
Thanks Lonzo!

Here is an update on the flamed and torrified Hard Maple Piña, it is sealed, filled and the first gloss coat has been applied:

Old 07-12-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

That neck is beyond stunning, Mark. Such rich figure nicely weighted by your center strip.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:23 PM

One almost never sees a neck match the back so perfectly. I really like that. Many otherwise fine builders fail to consider how neck and B&S appear next to each other.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
That neck is beyond stunning, Mark. Such rich figure nicely weighted by your center strip.
Thanks Erithon! I like a figured neck. Having the center strips also help keep it stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
One almost never sees a neck match the back so perfectly. I really like that. Many otherwise fine builders fail to consider how neck and B&S appear next to each other.
Thanks Bard! It's an easy match when the neck is made from the same board as the B&S. Another advantage of re-sawing!

Back to the Red White and Blue Piña. I chose to go with Sapele binding on this. Since the sides go from the red Sapele up to the much lighter sapwood I am reversing that for the binding:

Old 07-13-2020, 06:17 AM

I was wondering which way you’d work that color fade. I dig the reverse! Nice way to highlight the beauty of that set!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop