The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 PM

For me, I found the audio to be worthwhile. It gives us a chance to hear how the different strings sets sound. It might also be helpful for you to be able to go back and refresh your memory on how the strings actually sounded.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

In 3 weeks time all the strings will sound the same. The Retros will be the exception.

The trick to doing the string comparisons will be in having the microphone/recorder in the same position for all of the recordings. Most important is having the same output gain for all of the recordings.

If the recordings don't have the same output gain its all useless.

You should also play the same thing for every clip.

Also, I suggest joining Soundcloud and upload each clip there so we can listen to them all as they appear over time so we can go back and forth between clips to compare.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Also, I suggest joining Soundcloud and upload each clip there so we can listen to them all as they appear over time so we can go back and forth between clips to compare.
What's wrong with where I put that one?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
What's wrong with where I put that one?
People will have to download each of your files and then open each one up and flip back and forth to listen. On soundcloud they would be all listed in one spot and all the user has to do is click on the play button. They will be able to stop the recording and start another to compare and so on. Soundcloud gives you a fairly large chunk of room for free.

Here's my page: https://soundcloud.com/barry329

I only use it for guitar and string demos. I only have maybe 4 real tunes on it now as I shifted over to Reverbnation for my covers and originals.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
People will have to download each of your files and then open each one up and flip back and forth to listen. On soundcloud they would be all listed in one spot and all the user has to do is click on the play button. They will be able to stop the recording and start another to compare and so on. Soundcloud gives you a fairly large chunk of room for free.
Oh, you want an index page. Good idea. I can do that on my own without Soundcloud.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Oh, you want an index page. Good idea. I can do that on my own without Soundcloud.
By jove, Watson, I think you've got it!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM

Update on String Set A.

Their tone has settled in. They're okay for flatpicking but too muddy and thuddy for fingerpicking. In different light I noticed some specks of black discoloration on the wound strings, but that could be material that has scraped off my pick.

I'm going to retract what I said about tension and stiffness, though. After playing these for a while, I can say they're definitely a bit stiffer than the other strings I've had on this guitar. Em-form barres take more effort than I'm used to, and my calluses are getting torn up.

So, current grades:

Construction quality: B
Volume: B
Tone: B-
Playability: C

If I had to choose between this string set and D'Addario EJ17, I'd take the D'Addarios.

I'll play them for a few more days and see if my opinions change.

Also, I'll be setting up a web page to index these observations, including the sound clips.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM

String Set A has come off. I decided I didn't like them well enough to leave them on any longer. String Set B was installed tonight. They seem louder and more forward, but I'm leaving them to settle in before trying to form any opinions.

Should I reveal now what String Set A was, or save it for the web page I'll be setting up?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
String Set A has come off. I decided I didn't like them well enough to leave them on any longer. String Set B was installed tonight. They seem louder and more forward, but I'm leaving them to settle in before trying to form any opinions.

Should I reveal now what String Set A was, or save it for the web page I'll be setting up?
If you know what each set is after you take them off...then by the process of elimination, you will start to know what you may have strung up. That is, if you are trying to still keep it as a more of a “blind test.”
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 10-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
If you know what each set is after you take them off...then by the process of elimination, you will start to know what you may have strung up. That is, if you are trying to still keep it as a more of a “blind test.”
I know that. Mentioned it earlier, and explained why I'm doing it this way:

Quote:
This is not a completely blind test, because as I get closer to the end of the series, I'll know more and more about which strings I am not playing. But if I were to keep all the brands secret from myself until I'd tested all of them, it'd be harder to associate my gut experiences with the brands afterward; I'd be relying on descriptions that would be up to a year old. Plus which it would be very frustrating for readers if I were to log on every few weeks and say "String set X sounds like [whatever they sound like], come back next year to find out what they are."
Old 10-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I know that. Mentioned it earlier, and explained why I'm doing it this way:
Ah, I see...I missed that post. Anyway, it's always fun trying new strings. It will be interesting to see what you think about the Savarez set, I use those strings and like them very much!
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
Ah, I see...I missed that post. Anyway, it's always fun trying new strings. It will be interesting to see what you think about the Savarez set, I use those strings and like them very much!
Well, as coincidence would have it, String Set A was the Savarez set.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM

I've added four more string sets to the test:

The Black Diamond have already earned a black mark (ha!) for sloppy labeling. The package variously refers to the set as regular phosphor bronze or coated phosphor bronze, depending on where you look, and the specifications on the back of the pack list the 3rd string as plain steel when it is actually a wound string.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Well, as coincidence would have it, String Set A was the Savarez set.
Too bad they didn’t work out for you. Like I said, I like them a lot but we all have different tastes. Looking forward to hearing your experiences with the rest of the string sets.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 10-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Update on String Set B.

I inspected them when installing them. They seemed perfect; no corrosion or uneven areas. The wrap at the ball end was done neatly. Ball ends are all unpainted metal (unlike String Set A, which had two each of red, yellow, and green color coded ball ends). Installation was uneventful, except that I've decided I don't need to do the Martin Method on the plain strings, and in the process discovered I'm awkward using the normal method.

I've been playing them for three or four days now. The tone has settled in. They're definitely louder than the previous set, and brighter in tone. Sustain is good. I've heard better bass out of this guitar with other strings, but not by much. Playability is about average, neither especially flexy or especially stiff.

So, current grades:

Construction quality: A
Volume: A
Tone: B+
Playability: B

I would be okay with using these strings on a regular basis unless something comes up later in the test that I like better.

Here is a sound clip:

https://xec.net/share/STE-006.wav

I know I promised to index these. Can I have a show of hands for who's interested in that, before I go through the effort?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion