The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 11:49 AM

Default martin 000rs1 or sigma 000m15

hi all, as the title says, im after a bit of advice and opinion on the martin 000rs1 and the sigma 000m15.
a few years back i had a martin 00015 that i loved, but foolishly got rid of, and have regretted ever since!
i cant afford to get hold of another 00015 at the min, as even used prices are too high, but i have been looking at the above two guitars in the hope of getting something close.
i can get hold of the sigma for less than half the cost of the martin.
the martin in the shop near me has a solid wood neck, even though most of the web sites ive looked at say they have a stratabond neck. did they change at some point? its definitly labelled inside as a made in mexico 000rs1.
i managed to play them both back to back, and to be honest i was a little shocked at how good the sigma sounded, very close sounding to the martin, if anything i think it had a slightly sweeter sound than the martin, but the neck on the martin felt slightly nicer to hold, i think it was a little wider too.
has anyone got any direct experience of the sigma and the martin, and can say why the martin is worth paying more than double the cost of the sigma, or is the sigma really that good? im not too worried about the name, or the fact the martin comes with a case.
also, if anyone has an opinion on the all solid sigma s000m15 over the lam back and sides of the 000m15? its a bit more expensive, but would the solid back and sides be that noticable?
thanks
dan
Old 01-04-2016, 12:46 PM

I don't have any comment on the comparison of those two, but I can state that my DRS1 (a 2014 model, I believe) has a Stratabond neck.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:55 PM

The Sigma is a fine guitar despite its price point 😀
Cort L1200P
Cort L300VF
Guild M-120
Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM

I had a Sigma 00015M guitar about 2 years ago. To be clear it was this model:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=247

I'm a picker and strummer primarily and I found the top would overdrive too easily and it would sound muddy in that state.

And sometimes I would think how tinny it could sound yet in other ways it was good to noodle some blues leads from it.

I get the impression the Martin 00015M is more liked by finger pickers than flat pickers.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am more of a finger picker, mostly blues stuff, so I guess that's one of the reasons I like this style of guitar. I prefer the slightly warmer sound of mahogany too.
I really liked the sigma, fantastic guitar for the money. I'm really struggling to find a reason to justify the extra 500 for the martin! Yes the neck felt sightly better, but not 500 worth!!
I guess now, I'm just wondering if its worth spending a little more and going for the all solid sigma, my local shop hasn't got one in stock to try.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Just to add my Sigma was a very well made guitar with good tuners and bone saddle/nut. I only sold it because we don't have much space to keep acoustic guitars in cases.

Otherwise I would have kept it for a different tone.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-04-2016, 02:09 PM

For what it's worth...the Martin includes a hard-shell case. Also note that the Sigma is NOT an all solid wood guitar. It has a solid top and laminated back and sides as is with most of their models.

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=247

I have 2 Sigma's and they are very well made and sound terrific (including the solid top / laminate back & side models). I wouldn't say they are as good as Martin's but they come very close.

Sigma's are harder to find (in the US anyway - not sure where you are located). They are also branded Kindred Guitars in the US, so being able to try one out is unlikely.

If I was making the choice...I'd probably go with the Martin. But you probably wouldn't be disappointed with the Sigma. For the price they are certainly worthy of consideration.
Martin MMV
Martin D Custom
Martin DCPA5K
Martin LXK2
Sigma DR-42K
Sigma 000-42R
Gibson SJ-200
Epiphone EJ-200
Blueridge BR-180
Blueridge BR-73
Blueridge BR-60K
Ovation 2071 Ultra
Ovation CC65
Takamine EG363SC
Takamine EG460SC
Takamine G440C
Takamine G72CE
Taylor 214 ce DLX SB
Taylor 254 ce DLX
Fender CN-240SCE
Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM

I had the Sigma 00015m and for the money it was great. But I have played the Martin and prefer it. Is it worth 500 more? Only you can decide that. You may want to try the all solid sigma - S000m15 which sits in between the 2 price wise. I've never found one locally to play.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 PM

The current DRS and 000rs models have a hardwood neck.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM

no question the martin. as for stratabond I believe the drs has 1. not a big deal would still take the martin anyday
Old 01-05-2016, 04:09 AM

The Sigma 000-15-M and 000-15-SM are very good guitars. The all solid has a slightly more "open" sound to it. I've tried some Martin guitars that have the "stratabond" neck. I found the material to be heavy, and cheap looking.
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 01-05-2016, 04:10 AM

thanks everyone.
based on what you are saying, the martin would probably be the better guitar, but why!
having played the two together for a short while, i honestly couldnt say that the martin was £500 better than the sigma.
yes the neck felt slightly better in the hand, and it comes with a case, electronics, and is all solid wood, but the sigma was not that far off in reality, and imo the sound was slightly sweeter.
is there a reason that the martin would be worth me spending an extra £500 on? i need to be able to justify the extra cost to my wife!!!
they both look as well built and finished as each other, to her its just two brown guitars that look the same!!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrockin View Post
thanks everyone.
based on what you are saying, the martin would probably be the better guitar, but why!
having played the two together for a short while, i honestly couldnt say that the martin was £500 better than the sigma.
yes the neck felt slightly better in the hand, and it comes with a case, electronics, and is all solid wood, but the sigma was not that far off in reality, and imo the sound was slightly sweeter.
is there a reason that the martin would be worth me spending an extra £500 on? i need to be able to justify the extra cost to my wife!!!
they both look as well built and finished as each other, to her its just two brown guitars that look the same!!

I too preferred the Sigma over the Martin 000-15m. It truly is a great little guitar. If it were me I would go with the sigma. I would own one but the mahogany sound doesn't suit my playing style.
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 01-05-2016, 06:11 AM

I have a Sigma dread that lives at church, and a Martin 000-RS1 at home. If I had to choose between them, it's definitely the Martin for tone, feel, playability, looks, comfort, and the residual value of the used instrument. Not every low end Martin would beat my Sigma, but of the 2 guitars available to me, this is how it works out. You've got to prioritize between the instruments available to you. Which one makes you smile?
2016 Godin S & P Woodland Pro Folk
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M ‘Burst
2019 Taylor BE 517e WHB Mahogany
2019 Taylor LTD 512ce / Cedar-Koa
2022 Gibson Original L-00 Sunburst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R / Rosewood
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrockin View Post
thanks everyone.
You've already answered your own question. Get the Sigma, save some money, and have fun.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion