The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

That has to be my favorite (I spelt it specially for you Juston!) purfling and back strip of all time. Such a great guitar.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

This thing again?. Ok, every time photos of this come up I'm going to have to say it, I love those purflings and backstrip!!!!.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
That has to be my favorite (I spelt it specially for you Juston!) purfling and back strip of all time. Such a great guitar.
I agree. I love the colours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
This thing again?. Ok, every time photos of this come up I'm going to have to say it, I love those purflings and backstrip!!!!.
Yeah, a big thank you to Howard Klepper is in order. He made these from scratch. John is currently working on making his own from scratch as well. It's not easy to find colors that don't look like a circus.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Yes, very attractive. Gives me some ideas, it does... :-)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Wow, this thread has over 69,000 views. Crazy.

It's funny how much what I wanted out of John changed in the course of the thread. I went pretty much all-traditional by the time the build was started. Playing various guitars at Schoenberg caused me to completely re-evaluate what I like in guitars. My beloved Brondel A-2c was my first vintage-style instrument.

I've also completely changed how I do commissions. I used to give builders super detailed lists of requirements, thinking they could custom-tune every single aspect of the guitar. I think that (rightfully) makes most of them very nervous. I will give input on aesthetics, dimensions, and wood, but for the most part I give no instructions at all about how the guitar should sound. I want them to do what THEY think sounds best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop