The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 AM

Default 解脱 (Jie Tuo) fingerstyle arrangement

Hi,

I put up my VERY simple arrangement of the chinese pop tune, 解脱 (Jie Tuo), last friday. It was originally sung by Zhang Hui Mei.
I tried several approach but the simplest, thumb slap and keeping the melody line going, seemed to work best. I tried to bend some of the notes in the melody line, but ended up pushing the guitar up instead, Oh well.....
The URL is below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXeQIFqhgD0

Any comments is welcome as usual.

Tomo
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Tomo, it is always a pleasure to watch your videos. I don't know the original, but this sounds like a nice song. The thumb slap technique is most effective when it keeps a steady beat. In this song, you tend to skip beats, and although the slaps are in time, they do not keep the beat for the listener. Later in the song you do more, but I think it would be better sounding if you employed the technique in a steady beat throughout the song.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Bob,

Thank you for pointing that out. I thought there was something missing in the beginning of the song that I can't quite put my hand on it.
Listening to it again after you pointed that out to me, now I can see that I am missing some beats in the verse of the song.
Thanks again.

Tomo
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Very pretty playing.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Nicely played, and a pretty arrangement. Think I agree on the slaps, too - there should be a place for less, but I think this would be better with a more regular beat.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 AM

Very nice Tomo. I agree with Bob regarding the thumb slap, especially when they are the only percussion in the song. Possibly when they are part of a full arrangement of instruments with other percussion, then they can accent a steady beat held by another instrument. In the section when you held the beat with them, they sounded very good!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 10-20-2010, 11:28 AM

Thank you all for your nice comments.
This is what I like about being in forum like this, the listeners who are guitarist can tell you what's working and what's not.
Until Bob pointed out that I had irregular thumb slaps in the beginning part of the song, I could not figure out what was missing even though I was less than satisfied with the overall flow of the song.
I will work on it again and perhaps post another video to replace this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell