The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I bought the original for a mint 47' Gibson ES125! Fortunatly no damage. When I got the replacement I put it aside in a sit and wait mode. Sorry for your damage. Thanks for the heads up. I think I will ask for strings this time.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 AM

This whole Humidipak fiasco must be a small nightmare for PW. After all the problems they had with goop leaking out of the first batch of humidipaks, and now they relaunch the product only to have it bleach and discolor case interiors. So now what - a new recall and redesign?

Such a shame, cos the concept of product is so great. If it worked properly I'd have it in every one of my cases.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 AM

Morning update: D'Addario has offered to reimburse me in full for the cost of replacing the case.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
*mahoganut*

Default RH where you are having problems??

jalbert and aaronsdb - I'm wondering what the RH is where you are. I haven't had any bleaching problems, but my house ambient RH has been 49-52% for the last several weeks, so my Humidpak set is most likely absorbing rather than releasing moisture.

I've taken them out (duh!) but wondering if that's the answer for why my case did not show any sign of discoloration.

Thanks,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
jalbert and aaronsdb - I'm wondering what the RH is where you are. I haven't had any bleaching problems, but my house ambient RH has been 49-52% for the last several weeks, so my Humidpak set is most likely absorbing rather than releasing moisture.

I've taken them out (duh!) but wondering if that's the answer for why my case did not show any sign of discoloration.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil, the recent relative humidity in Philadelphia has been comparable to what you are experiencing. Most of my cases were stabilized at around 45% when I put the new humidipaks in. It may be that the Taylor cases have a different fabric as opposed to the TKL green lined cases.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM

By the way, for what it's worth, I called TKL on my dime to let them know what was going on with the Humidipak and their cases, mistakenly thinking that they might want to advise Bourgeois and Collings or anyone else shipping the green lined TKL cases with their guitars that there is an ongoing problem with the Humidipaks.

Wrong!!! The TKL customer service representative told me there was nothing they could do about it and it wasn't their problem. When asked to speak to a supervisor, she hung up on me.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Unhappy

Is anyone else having this problem? I never had any problems with the Humidipaks before the recall, and haven't noticed any discoloration with the new one thus far, but now I'm a little gunshy. It's a shame, because the paks work so well for me.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfloyd View Post
Is anyone else having this problem? I never had any problems with the Humidipaks before the recall, and haven't noticed any discoloration with the new one thus far, but now I'm a little gunshy. It's a shame, because the paks work so well for me.
According to the D'Addario representative, he has had "several" calls with this problem. At least two here; however, it only seems to be affecting the green "crushed" interiors in the newer archtop TKL cases.

I am with you. I love these things because they do work great a keeping the humidity perfect; however, I now have four guitar cases that have been seriously devalued. I can't even imagine what I would be feeling if it had discolored the interior of my guitars.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Wow, no bonus round for TKL! Looks like someone should take a closer look at their customer service training.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
jalbert and aaronsdb - I'm wondering what the RH is where you are.
It's 53% right now. Usually in the 50% to 60% range.

Anecdotally, the problem appears limited to TKL cases with green crushed velvet interiors and the reformulated Humidipaks. (I didn't have any problems with the original ones.)
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Schmerkoffs!

Take a plastic travel soap case,

drill holes in it,, and cut a sponge to fit

dampen the sponge with distiled water

and re dampen before it gets dry..

whalaa, problem solved,,, you

dont have to send money for planet waves

to try their latest failed attempt at a weird humidity system.

my 2 1/2 cents,, usual disclaimers apply..

Rick
Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Winning!

whoa this ain't looking good for D'Addario.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Cool Caution to Martin Geib Owners

I was reading this last night and was concerned because I really liked this product before and had just recently received 5 new sets of the revised paks.

I check all my Taylors and found no damage to the cases so I felt relieved.

Seems to be only a problem with green lined cases.

THEN I remembered my Martin Merle Haggard Limited Edition in the safe.......#@!&^.....you guessed it....when I opened the case I was stunned to see the beautiful green lining "bleached" to a sicking orange color directly over the sound hole and the entire headstock pocket........(VINTAGE GEIB STYLE / GREEN CRUSHED LINING)

Sent a notice to D'Addario (Mark) and removed all paks from all guitars again......I have promised to send pic today......

****** MARTIN OWNERS : REMOVE HUMIDIPAKS AT ONCE !!!!! *****

Let's see what happens next!

Last edited by Mama Tried; 09-16-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM

Oh man, who are the rocket scientists designing this stuff?

If those things are bleaching out fabric I sure as heck don't want them anywhere near my guitars.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Tried View Post
Seems to be only a problem with green lined cases.

THEN I remembered my Martin Merle Haggard Limited Edition in the safe.......#@!&^.....you guessed it....when I opened the case I was stunned to see the beautiful green lining "bleached" to a sicking orange color directly over the sound hole and the entire headstock pocket........(VINTAGE GEIB STYLE / GREEN CRUSHED LINING)

Sent a notice to D'Addario (Mark) and removed all paks from all guitars again......I have promised to send pic today......

****** MARTIN OWNERS : REMOVE HUMIDIPAKS AT ONCE !!!!! *****

Let's see what happens next!
Sorry, I know exactly how you feel with four bleached cases of my own. Even though there is apparently no bleaching going on in other than the TKL green lined cases, I would not feel comfortable leaving the Humidpaks in any case/guitar until the situation is resolved.

It is impossible to know if any other chemical reactions are going on that might effect the guitar or its finish. It is a shame because the Humidipaks work great.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]

Last edited by aaronsdb; 09-16-2008 at 08:36 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion