The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Tassie #3 - Morty

CS-03 Morty (2019)

hi all, I wanted to thank you for your encouraging comments. AGF has been a fantastic source of motivation for me - not easy to capture that with words.

Maybe the next best thing would be to share with you how AGFs members' posts and explanations fan that kindled flame to keep me moving, stretching past my comfort zone? Thanks a lot

So for this next build, adding one or two components to the mix seemed to be a good idea: Arm bevel and a lattice-type patterned sound hole. One of my guitars is a beautiful & warm Samick Classical nylon-string from the late 80's, which came with such a soundhole. It didn't detract from the sound at all and had always impressed me with its unique look.

Blackheart Sassafras was my choice for back & sides, a Tasmanian timber with amazing variety in patterns. Its tonal qualities have been described on AGF as being somewhat close to that of warm Maple/Walnut or expensive cardboard. Not too risky then, for this noob. Coupled with Bunya Pine (Qld) for the soundboard, I figured they would compliment each other. One of the Bunya boards has some darkish blue/grey hues and spots - adding a bit of character to this apprentice' guitar.

As I sawed the boards for the back & sides and the Sassafras came out so nice, I reckoned this might be a good opportunity to create a sibling pair of guitars. One with lattice-style sound hole & bevel, the other one would receive the bevel too, as well as giving me a chance to ... uh .... tackle a Venetian Cutaway?

For the first stages of shaping sides and joining the backs, these two could advance in sync.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Geez Chris, it's like you jumped into the pool for the first time and found out you're a champion swimmer .

These look great already, so I'm looking forward to more images!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

I love that sassafras, beautiful wood!
Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

These both look awesome--looking forward to seeing them develop!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
These both look awesome--looking forward to seeing them develop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankelsey View Post
I love that sassafras, beautiful wood!
Thanks Nemoman & morgankelsey,
yeah - I thought that, by appearance alone, this Sassafras almost declares its calling to become part of an instrument. It came with an interesting story too, circumstances combined in such a fandangled way. Really.

A brother of a mate of mine is a timber-getter, who had an order to supply Sassafras veneers to a company who builds drum kits. The company which should have cut veneers butchered a few of the logs into unsuitable planks instead, which he then took back. A few months later, as I showed pictures of CS-02 to some workmates, one of them said - hey, if you're after nice wood why don't you contact so-and-so, he's often getting timber for some instrument companys. Eventually I managed to track him down and asked him if he had any leftovers he could let me have to hone my craft? FFS!!! he said, lucky you called me!! Just this moment I'm in the shed, about to cut up these boards for firewood! What do you want to have them for? Guitars? Sure, I'll drop 'em off at your place this arvo ....
A few hours later he backed his ute into our driveway, had a quick look at CS-01 & CS-02, then I helped him carry the Sassafras into my shed. Wow!
I made him a little knife with Sassafras handle & carved leather sheath as thanks for his generous gift.

Then of course, a fair bit of head scratching began of how to best salvage decent backs & sides from slightly warped and previoulsy unloved planks ... I was very glad once I worked out how and managed to get there, phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Geez Chris, it's like you jumped into the pool for the first time and found out you're a champion swimmer .
These look great already, so I'm looking forward to more images!
Thanks colins - that's very kind of you!
I'd say during those years of study of forums, books, dvds & youtube - when contemplating if I was willing to jump in & pursue luthiering in earnest, one of the stand-out factors for me was the 'Can-Do' attitude of many luthiers. Their many innovative approaches and fantastic results. Much treasured kick-*** advice though, came from a luthier who said: If you could achieve a great result by doing the right thing from the start - why wouldn't you? That's the kind of language I need and understand.

Last edited by Chris Shute; 08-13-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Continuing with bracing top & backs, but after that - things got a bit out of hand

Similar to the saying 'If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right', one of my passions is that if I set out to, say - design a lattice-type soundhole, I almost always feel I'd be wasting the effort if it's not intricate or in danger of drifting towards blandness. As much as I appreciate simple, clean and elegant lines, this sound hole offered an occasion to be playful. Since our family enjoys Latin-American food, vibrant colours, stuff we romantically associate with lifestyle as seen on tv - we thought why not pick a theme to celebrate that? Sure .... so, how about ...

Día de los Muertos. Colorful Calaveras - Sugar Skulls. That could look cool ...

I became so engrossed in designing and creating the sound hole, didn't take any pictures during the making of it.
Overshot the target a bit.
Why not give the main skull some company too?
Tumbling ghostly skulls?
Sure.
Done.

Then it was time to add the Arm Bevel in Blackwood (reddish), Radial Purfling in Blackwood (dark/light variegated) plus a Sound Port appeared out of nowhere ...

Last edited by Chris Shute; 08-14-2020 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow...I think Chris is putting us on about being a newbie.
Those look great.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-14-2020, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Wow...I think Chris is putting us on about being a newbie. Those look great.
Thanks Steve - you think so? Nice. It made my day to read your compliment.

Let me assure you though - what I'm showing really are my first creations. Virgin territory for me. Telling fibs about that sort of thing would soon bite me in the proverbial anyway. Really not worth it!

I'd say my results are definitely more an indication of the caliber of craftsmen who (in my case) are setting examples worth aspiring to. Besides that, photo cropping is my ally and the rest is just exacting work to keep me moving forward ...
Old 08-16-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

For the skulls inlay I chose crushed shell which I'd seen other luthiers utilize before. As the effect of the blue ghostly skulls tumbling towards the main skull and blue shell circle around the sound hole came together, the idea of adding something more fun & lively to the finger board could be nice. What more suitable than a dancing skeleton, also inlaid with crushed shell and resined in?

The neck is made from Tassie Oak with Myrtle centre, fingerboard is Tassie Blackwood (dark), headstock veneer is Tassie Blackwood (reddish) same as the arm bevel. After fitting the neck and bridge, the guitar was finished with shellac.

Last edited by Chris Shute; 08-16-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:50 PM

Bl**dy h*ell Chris!! This looks fantastic!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 08-17-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Bl**dy h*ell Chris!! This looks fantastic!
Thanks Zandit75, I probably got a bit too enthusiastic with scattering those skulls & skeleton around, but I felt it worked out ok.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop