The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM

Default Martin Neck Profile Question

I found this chart in an issue of Sounding Board.

Anyone know what H1 and H2 represent?

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM

I would assume that H1 is the total thickness of the neck, and H2 maybe thickness of the neck minus the fingerboard. The difference between the two is roughly what most of the fingerboards I've seen are thick, that lead me to believe that that's the case
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Guest 1928

I'm uncertain what the H2 measurement represents. However, modern Martin fretboards are about 0.225", sometimes up to 0.250". If you add 0.225" to the H1 measurements you end up with numbers that are pretty close the necks I've measured.

So, H1 + 0.225" will give you the approximate thickness of the finished neck and fretboard.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Martin Neck Profile Question

Thanks guys. Anyone else know for sure?

Looking at the numbers, it seems odd to me the dimensions would be identical for both the Low Oval and Modified Low Oval neck profile.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Thanks guys. Anyone else know for sure?
Yes, I agree. Adding a guess at the fretboard thickness doesn't really add up across the board. It's kind of close but not consistent and why don't all the necks have a H2?. ....Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 06-25-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:45 AM

H1 and H2 are commonly used designations regarding harmonics measurements. H1 is the first harmonic or fundamental tone and H2 the second harmonic or first overtone. Not sure that's what Martin intended to designate here though.
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post

Looking at the numbers, it seems odd to me the dimensions would be identical for both the Low Oval and Modified Low Oval neck profile.
The low oval looks to be very slightly V shaped, whilst the modified low oval looks slightly rounder, but if the measurement is thickness then they can be equal..

Washburn Mg40 natural alder
Tanglewood les paul copy with twin humbuckers
Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 AM

Yes, the measurements do seem to concern thickness. Here's some related information from the UMGF (post #15 found through the link below):

"AKA Frosty:

The custom OM-21 is an ergonomic winner for me! I probably have average hands, but like a lot of room in both left and right string spacing for all of the alternate/Slack Key I do. I like a thick neck which I think helps me focus on position technique and leads me to spread my fingers out a bit more. I do some thumb wrap around when playing blues, but not a great deal. On the medium sized OM body it all makes for a wonderful combination for me...

I think that the "full thickness" is its own "stand alone" shape description, on par with but different than all of the other named shapes. See pages 32 and 33 of Martin's Sounding Board Newsletter Vol. 33 (June 2012) at:

http://www.martinguitar.com/images/d...ter/Vol_33.pdf

for a description of the neck shapes that Martin offers that is slightly different than the webpage info you pasted in your message.

Part of the complication here is that the H1 and H2 measurements that Martin provides are not always for the same fret for each neck shape, and the Full Thickness does not have an H2 measurement. I was able to use the measurements to narrow down what I was looking for. I wanted something that was wide both at the nut and where the neck met the body, but not something that had a huge flange from nut to neck/body. The Full Thickness seemed to fit that bill in terms of dimensions, but the proof was in the playing. Caused me to alter my custom order a week after signing and turning it in to the dealer (I was not charged a service charge for the change and it didn't delay my order.)

Curtis"

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...2#.U6wNm9q9KK0
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:31 PM

Just found this helpful thread.
From other research on the umgf I learned what the H2 measurement is.
H2 = thickness of the neck, not including the fretboard, measured at 0.5 inches to the left or right of the midline of the neck. H1 is measured at the midline.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion