The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Where find bridge for vintage Yamaha guitar? FG335 ii

$30 craigslist find. Picked it up in this condition. Check out the "crafty" solution to the cracked bridge. It was done by the previous owner. As ugly and rigged as it is, it works! That being said , it needs to go ha!

This guitar has a very different kind of sound.
It's hard to describe as I'm a bit of a newbe, but it's very mellow, and has lots of mid-range. I also have a few other vintage Yammys. FG 75, FG115, FG160, and FG200. This FG335ii sound is very unique to my ears.

I would like to replace the bridge and nut, but I haven't been able to locate a bridge with the proper string spacing.
I believe these vintage Yammys use 10mm string spacing. Anyone know where to source one that will work? I am not crafty enough to make a bridge out of a rosewood blank, so that option isn't on the table.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Anyone have any ideas about where to source one of these 10mm string spacing bridges?
Old 08-05-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

A luthier can make and install what you need... I got a
neck reset and a new nut and some other stuff for my
1970s plywood guitar for about $350... so you'd probably
have to care about the guitar to go that route...

https://www.stewmac.com/ is a place where people buy guitar
parts... have you looked there?

-Mike
Old 08-05-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumChi View Post
Anyone have any ideas about where to source one of these 10mm string spacing bridges?
Go to a local Yamaha dealer and ask if they get any repair parts in. If they do, they might have one for you. If not, they might have an idea of who to contact. If you call up Yamaha music corporate headquarters support or service they might be able to find you one to send you. You will still need to get that old one off and clamp it and glue the new one, unless you are planning to send it to someone.

Good luck!

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 08-05-2020, 08:13 PM

String spacing is not the only variable. It also needs to match the footprint, saddle location and pin hole setback to be a suitable replacement. Unless you stumble upon a repairman that has removed one from a Yamaha of the same model and vintage, I think it will have to be fabricated from scratch. It is not that bad for an experienced repair person.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
A luthier can make and install what you need... I got a
neck reset and a new nut and some other stuff for my
1970s plywood guitar for about $350... so you'd probably
have to care about the guitar to go that route...

https://www.stewmac.com/ is a place where people buy guitar
parts... have you looked there?

-Mike
Thanks for your response. A luthier can definitely make one for me, although I don't think it would be worth it for this guitar. I should probably call around and get some quotes, but I imagine a reputable luthier would charge a minimum of $100 for this. Whoever charged you $350 for a neck reset, new nut and some other stuff sounds like he has some very reasonable pricing.
Stew Mac doesn't sell the right bridge as far as I know.

Quote:
Go to a local Yamaha dealer and ask if they get any repair parts in. If they do, they might have one for you. If not, they might have an idea of who to contact. If you call up Yamaha music corporate headquarters support or service they might be able to find you one to send you. You will still need to get that old one off and clamp it and glue the new one, unless you are planning to send it to someone.
Thanks! Solid advice. I will be definitely try this route. I do plan on removing the old one and installing the new one myself. I've done a a couple of bridge swaps before.

Quote:
String spacing is not the only variable. It also needs to match the footprint, saddle location and pin hole setback to be a suitable replacement. Unless you stumble upon a repairman that has removed one from a Yamaha of the same model and vintage, I think it will have to be fabricated from scratch. It is not that bad for an experienced repair person.
Hmm I didn't think about all those other variables. Good point.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 AM

If that bridge is stable and you like the sound, I think I’d fix that nut and play it. Looks cool and tells a story.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm View Post
If that bridge is stable and you like the sound, I think I’d fix that nut and play it. Looks cool and tells a story.
The bridge is stable as it..it just looks like dog crap ha. Hmm I will definitely consider keeping it as is now that you mentioned it.
Now that I realize an OEM replacement piece may be near impossible to source, I've thought of another option. Maybe I can repair the current bridge. Remove the white crap he used for support, melt the glue off, and go from there. If the slot for the saddle is still in decent shape, I think I can make it work. I won't know until I remove all that crap that's on it.

Last edited by StrumChi; 08-06-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:52 PM

To go along with the last point, if you are going to take the bridge off anyways you could try and fix it up some and see if you can make it work. Take the stuff off that is on there and sand down some of that glue and see what you have to work with. You could maybe get away with gluing and clamping it if it’s split. Hard to tell the true condition with that stuff glued on it. That would likely be the cheapest option and would only cost you some glue, a saddle and time. But, I wouldn’t do anything until you get it off and see what exactly the condition is.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 08-06-2020, 08:56 PM

That picture traumatized me. That happens if the saddle is too high, am I correct?
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 PM

Ok saddles and glue are off. It appears the bridge may have cracked at the slot opening, and he tried to rig something to hold the saddle straight? Plus he may not have had a thick enough saddle ? That's all I could think off. I have a generic bone compensated saddle that fit right in, nice and snug for almost the entire length of the slot. Looks like if I can score some rosewood, I can fabricate a small shim for the other side, glue it in, sand and stain the entire bridge, it will be up and running!

New question: would it even be prudent to find a piece of rosewood for that small sliver of a shim that the bridge needs? Or should I just use whatever? I do have some spruce as well as other types of wood.

Last edited by StrumChi; 08-06-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:17 PM

Decided to use some two part epoxy to repair the missing parts of the bridge slot. I figure it will affect the tone somewhat, but hopefully the difference will be too slight to hear.
Not bad for a two part epoxy paste I had lying around. Was fully dry in one hour!

Next step is to decide on how to stain it. I do like the look of bare rosewood, but this epoxy needs to be hidden. A gel stain may be my only option.
Am also considering trying to "paint" the epoxy part, and then seal all of bridge with a poly. Dont want to hide that beautiful rosewood.

Last edited by StrumChi; 08-07-2020 at 02:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair