The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 10:06 AM

Not really sure why it’s hard to pick your best sounding guitar.

I can pick the best sounding guitar from any group of guitars. It’s just my opinion and there’s no threat to the rest of them, another player would have a different opinion than I.

I have only one guitar, the best of the lot from over 40 years of playing. I knew it was from the first E chord.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM

I suppose "best sounding guitar you own" is quite subjective. But I love the sound of my 1977 Martin D-35. It has IRW sides and back and a spruce top. It has that quintessential Martin tone which makes my ears and my soul happy. It is a joy to play and hear.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Easy for me: 2019 Martin Custom Shop D-1 all-mahogany 12-fret dread based on the discontinued Martin D-1 Authentic. Sublime.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Hands down, no questions asked it is my 1942 Gibson J50...low end which would make any pre-War Martin D28 run for cover, saturated mids and a crisp upper end. It bursts out and blooms right out of the starting gate and then quickly gets out of its own way. Then throw age into the mix with a parched dryness, hair trigger response, and a clarity which comes with the passing of the decades.
Pure poetry.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:10 AM

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread and hearing a bit about everyone's favorite guitars. There's some real exotica here and some lucky owners! I'm even impressed by the pedestrian stuff some people mentioned, sometimes you just get a good one and it ends up near the top of the list.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The one I just built at The Henderson School for the Appalachian Arts currently holds that position. I'm amazed it sounds so good. No blowing my horn as I had A LOT of help. Wayne, Spencer, Josh, and Marty are amazingly gifted luthiers who helped every step of the way. Thanks Guys!
This is super cool, a guitar that you built yourself. Now that's a special relationship! Reminds me of Brian May's Red Special...dude couldn't afford to buy an electric guitar so he and his dad built one themselves from scraps they had lying around and then he uses that guitar to create some of the most iconic rock music of the 70's and 80's...just blows my mind.

Anyway, congrats on your build!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion