The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 PM

Default nut files

Please recommend a reasonably priced set of nut files. This is for my own guitars and will be infrequently used.

Thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

When I was looking at nut files I found the "real" files and cheap files. From what I read about cheap files is that they will work for a person that won't use them very much. They won't last that long. I lucked out my son had some "real" nut files I could use.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2018, 05:39 AM

Last year I splurged on a basic StewMac set and I am so happy that I did. If you want to go cheap, you can use welding tip cleaners which are small ridged lengths of steel wire: they are sold for practically nothing (under $10) https://www.amazon.com/US-Forge-Weld.../dp/B000UVR0NO

I used these for several years until purchasing the StewMac files - pretty quickly, I realized that I had wasted a lot of time with them. They cut slowly and poorly; they don't leave a straight slot because they bend while filing. Seeing as a properly cut nut is one of the most important parts of your guitar's playability, the StewMac files are worth it.

best,

Rick
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM

This topic comes up often and what you will find is that people like myself have been using regular old needle files for 25 years now and those that swear by the tried and true nut files. You can get professional results with needle files if you pay attention to what you are doing. After a while it becomes second nature. But for someone who is not going to do this professionally it can be done with cheap needle files which you might use for something else in the future.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:58 PM

Ive also used the tip cleaners as files and have been able to complete 2 nuts from bone.

You can get away with the D A and E strings as they are thicker, but the thinner gauged tips will bend and will be rendered useless.

Going the cheap way, Ebay has about a $15 nut file set which will cover all but the high e string. Then Id advise buying a single 12 or 13 quality file (as Ebay does not have any thinner files than 0.016 (B string).
Youd be able to get it all for 30-40 bucks that way.
These things are expensive man, about $70 plus shipping to get those nice professional ones from Japan. Close to 100 from Stewmac.

Looking for a set of used files so if anyone has any, do PM me. 11-52 or 12-53.

Any other recommendations welcome. Do needle files exist in gauges thin enough for the high strings?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Do needle files exist in gauges thin enough for the high strings?
Before gauged nut files, people used needle files to create "V" shaped groves for nuts. Some needle files come to a knife-edge, suitable for even the smallest diameter string.

I slitting saw is very useful for the high e and can be used for the B. One inexpensive option is an X-acto knife handle and X-acto saw blade. They work very well for roughing slots in and for cutting slots for small diameter strings.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Before gauged nut files, people used needle files to create "V" shaped groves for nuts. Some needle files come to a knife-edge, suitable for even the smallest diameter string.

I slitting saw is very useful for the high e and can be used for the B. One inexpensive option is an X-acto knife handle and X-acto saw blade. They work very well for roughing slots in and for cutting slots for small diameter strings.
Found that V shaped slots caused string binding, and feel flat bottomed slots may generate unwanted buzz or lose some energy transfer.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Found that V shaped slots caused string binding, and feel flat bottomed slots may generate unwanted buzz or lose some energy transfer.
Neither has been my experience.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 PM

I've never had a problem using the knife edge needle file either. Just roll it so you can round off the bottom. But for the first two plain strings the V is almost perfect. Honestly I would not want to set up a guitar with exact gauge nut files anyway, I'm not even really sure if that is what is intended. I think all guitars should be set up for 13's unless perhaps its a custom and you know the guy wants to play with 11's. In that case I'd still make the firs tslot wider then 11.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:59 PM

The "knife edge" razor file doesn't come to a perfect point, there is a tiny radius there, and as others say, if you rock it back and forth, you can create whatever width you want. Been doing it exactly as Charles describes - slot with saw, finish if necessary with file.

I also don't buy the "energy transfer" thing. Most bridges have not slots for strings, yet there is no loss of energy transfer. Plus, what happens when you fret a note? There are no slots on the frets either.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I bought this set: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....e-set-3-files/. $54. Not as much as the Stew-Mac set, and seems fine. I am not a professional. I've successfully used these to touch up several nuts, and they've been much easier to use than makeshift substitutes.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:59 PM

I've successfully used the V shaped needle files and finished with the tip cleaners. That being said, I did it on my nylon guitar, where the strings are much thicker than on a steel or electric, at least the lain ones.

On my electric I use a plastic nut and the tip cleaners work just fine. Didn't seem to affect tone that much, at least to my ears.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone used the Grizzly files?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Nut-...yABEgKZ-vD_BwE
Old 05-21-2018, 04:29 PM

The Grizzly files are good quality and are also carried by LMI and are used by lots of professionals.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I bought this set: http://www.philadelphialuthiertools....e-set-3-files/. $54. Not as much as the Stew-Mac set, and seems fine. I am not a professional. I've successfully used these to touch up several nuts, and they've been much easier to use than makeshift substitutes.

+1 on these files. First Quality tools provide first quality results. Cheap is cheap and you can get along with cheap but the results are not the same. You spend a lot of money on guitars - what’s $100 for a full set of files that you’ll use forever?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair