The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2023, 05:24 AM

Default Recording King "Tonewood Reserve Elite" guitars

What do you think about those guitars ? especially the RO-342 (000 format).
What about the tone, playability ?

Did you compare against Eastman guitars ? I currently have Eastman E20D-TC, a wonderful guitar.

999 EUR seems a very good price, they are beautiful guitars and I'm really tempted to make the jump.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:02 AM

Default Recording King

I have an RD-328. It's pretty good. Need's a set-up but anything in that price range is going to need one. I'm a mutiple Collings owner so a little bit jaded but that said, I really like the RK. So figure about $150 for a set-up and fret level. You're going to need a case or gig bag as well. So, you've now got about a grand invested but still cheaper than an Eastman. Off-hand, I don't know of a solid wood acoustic that compares at that price range.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyson View Post
I have an RD-328. It's pretty good. Need's a set-up but anything in that price range is going to need one. I'm a mutiple Collings owner so a little bit jaded but that said, I really like the RK. So figure about $150 for a set-up and fret level. You're going to need a case or gig bag as well. So, you've now got about a grand invested but still cheaper than an Eastman. Off-hand, I don't know of a solid wood acoustic that compares at that price range.
I know that your RK has an aged adi top but is your RK on the bright side ?
At which other brand would you compare the tone ? Is it more on the Martin side or Taylor side ?

For what its worth I plan to use the RK for fingerstyle.
Thx
Old 04-12-2023, 12:58 PM

I bought an RO-328 a month ago and I just have to say that I am very surprised at how good it sounds. it has a relatively wide fretboard with a V shape, but I've already gotten used to it. It's a very resonant and balanced guitar with good bass for a 000. Even though it's different woods, this one beats the Martin 00018 I had, you get an incredible amount for the money. The finish could of course be better and I have changed the tuners to some groovers, but for the money it is liveable. It should be said that I contacted Recording King and asked about the red spruce they use and here they told me that a few years ago they ran out of their "aged" woods, they now call it select woods and that they now use a higher grade of red spruce in the new guitars instead.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:27 AM

You are going to have to do a bit of set-up on those RKs, but they are excellent guitars. I played the dreadnought and concert 328 models not long ago, and they were both killer.

I like Eastman a lot as well, so I would be more than happy with either one.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
. It's a very resonant and balanced guitar with good bass for a 000. Even though it's different woods, this one beats the Martin 00018 I had, you get an incredible amount for the money. The finish could of course be better and I have changed the tuners to some groovers, but for the money it is liveable. .
Well that's quite a statement to write that you prefer the sound of what must be the cheapest all solid guitar on the market to the sound of what many would consider to be an aspirational guitar costing 4x as much! Or was it more about the fretboard width?
Old 04-13-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Well that's quite a statement to write that you prefer the sound of what must be the cheapest all solid guitar on the market to the sound of what many would consider to be an aspirational guitar costing 4x as much! Or was it more about the fretboard width?
You are possibly one of those who believe without hesitation that all guitars are good as long as it says Martin on the headstock and guitars cannot be good because of a lower price. I have had several Martins, so my assessment is based on a good experience. Let me just say that guitars are not necessarily better because the price is higher, Martin can be a good example of that.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
You are possibly one of those who believe without hesitation that all guitars are good as long as it says Martin on the headstock and guitars cannot be good because of a lower price. I have had several Martins, so my assessment is based on a good experience. Let me just say that guitars are not necessarily better because the price is higher, Martin can be a good example of that.
Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
And thank you for your comprehensive contribution to the topic.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:52 AM

I’m a Martin person and respect there guitars and history. I bought one of these guitars just to have one. It looked great and was a good price. Now I can’t put it down. The projection and tone is great. I love the guitar.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe View Post
I’m a Martin person and respect there guitars and history. I bought one of these guitars just to have one. It looked great and was a good price. Now I can’t put it down. The projection and tone is great. I love the guitar.
Yeah, people should try one before they reach say Eastman prices.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:44 AM

Default Recording King RD-328 And RD-342

I purchased an RD-328 several months ago from Chicago Music Exchange ($679 new) and, after about three weeks' "break-in" time, it sounded very nice indeed, far better than anything else in the price range. I also just purchased an RD-342 on 04/02/23 ($1089 with a nice hard case) via Reverb from eVillage Music on Long Island. I have to say that it is also very impressive as well as gorgeous. I own five Martin guitars (including an HD-35) and I can't put the RK down! I honestly feel that RK has replaced Eastman as the best value on the market. (Eastman has raised their prices quite noticeably, but are still a very good value.)
Old 04-14-2023, 10:12 AM

It seems to me that there are those that wish to bash certain brands for a variety of reasons, where it's built, the type of finish, name on the headstock.

I have a variety of guitars and they ALL do their job, most of them are much higher in cost.

I have an RD-310, Adirondack/Mahogany all solid woods, it's a great guitar and has surprised a number of folk who I've let play it, it's about seven years since I purchased it from Elderly's in Michigan and has only gotten better over that time.

I'm perfectly happy with it.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:25 PM

I have two RK’s and they make good guitars at reasonable prices, but I just can’t get used to that “V” neck on my RD-318. Sorry, but the low oval spoiled me.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstyle_me View Post
I know that your RK has an aged adi top but is your RK on the bright side ?
At which other brand would you compare the tone ? Is it more on the Martin side or Taylor side ?

For what its worth I plan to use the RK for fingerstyle.
Thx
It's a bit bright but the Bass end is amazing. Mid range really cuts. More Martin than Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion