The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 10:04 AM

Default Martin 00045 replica?

I recently attended a music party, mostly ukeleles. Not being a "uke" player, I attended without an instrument. A kind aquaintence noted my lack of guitar, and handed me hers to play while she did the uke thing.
Wow, I was immediately impressed with the feel of this guitar, and while the sound was somewhat drowned by the large group, it sounded very nice to me. The neck had a "Martin" inlay, with some abalone around sound hole and frets. It was a 12 fret short scale peghead, and played like butter. No label visible in sound hole.
Anyways, found out layer it is a replica of a 30's 00045. She mentioned it had a story, but have not heard that yet. A little research shows there are several reputable makers that specialize in replicating these guitars. I'm not sure I'd want one with a faked "Martin" inlay, but the rest of the package was great.
Can these be had in decent quality for real-world prices? Not interested in the Chinese knockoffs.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2024, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
I'm not sure I'd want one with a faked "Martin" inlay, but the rest of the package was great.
Can these be had in decent quality for real-world prices? Not interested in the Chinese knockoffs.
Cheers
12 fret 000s can be had at "real-world" prices. But if you want all the bling properly done you're not going to find that cheap.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-23-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I recently attended a music party, mostly ukeleles. Not being a "uke" player, I attended without an instrument. A kind aquaintence noted my lack of guitar, and handed me hers to play while she did the uke thing.
Wow, I was immediately impressed with the feel of this guitar, and while the sound was somewhat drowned by the large group, it sounded very nice to me. The neck had a "Martin" inlay, with some abalone around sound hole and frets. It was a 12 fret short scale peghead, and played like butter. No label visible in sound hole.
Anyways, found out layer it is a replica of a 30's 00045. She mentioned it had a story, but have not heard that yet. A little research shows there are several reputable makers that specialize in replicating these guitars. I'm not sure I'd want one with a faked "Martin" inlay, but the rest of the package was great.
Cheers

You probably played a Chinese knockoff:
Un branded Chinese guitar with lotsa bling
Old 03-23-2024, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Sigma makes a pretty good looking 000-45. You would have to import one or find one that has been imported from Europe. I have not played one but folks seem to like them.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-23-2024, 11:29 AM

Maybe ask your friend for the story.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
This, exactly. Those kinds of guitars are all over eBay.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 03-23-2024, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfingers12 View Post
Since it had "Martin" on the headstock there isn't any doubt about that. I think the OP was looking for an alternative.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

Last edited by Mr. Paul; 03-23-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:01 AM

I feared as much - the knockoff thing. I must say, the feel was sweet. I'd certainly never cough up 4 digits for an imported replica untested. May look around for a "legit" replica that I can touch/play. Not that I have GAS, but curiosity is always a good thing.
Cheers
Old 03-24-2024, 10:20 AM

I've never seen a four-digit knock off. The one's I've seen online are 300-400 and I still wouldn't put that down for a knock-off.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Here are a few ideas. They're made in China, but more like homages than knockoffs and they are all really guitars. You'll have to break your four-figuee budget a bit, or lose the abalone bling and go for a more plain option.

* Sigma 000-45 (12 fretter, long scale)
* Eastman E40-OM (14 fret, short scale 000)
* Eastman E40-00 (12 fretter short scale)
* Blueridge BR-183, 283 etc (14 fret OM, long scale)
* Blueridge BR-371 (12 fret parlor, short scale)

Additionally if you want to get into vintage guitars, you can sometimes find 1970s "lawsuit era" Japanese copies of 45-series guitars. I have one of these, a Ventura, but there were many made by Takamine, Ibanez, Alvarez, and all sorts of others. Hard to find in good condition and at a reasonable price, of course.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cheers
Hi, are you saying that the guitar had a C.F.Martin & Co logo on it ?

Many American "boutique" or high quality makers build "knock offs" as you call them - both Martin and Gibson designed guitar shapes that have become international standards.

There is no "magic" that restricts high quality guitar building to the USA. See this :
Old 03-24-2024, 11:51 AM

I read Martin inlay. not Martin logo. so does that mean Marin style inlay? I've seen guitars that have looked like a Martin 000-45 or D-45 without the Martin logo for sale but I have never actually played one.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs150 View Post
I read Martin inlay. not Martin logo. so does that mean Marin style inlay? I've seen guitars that have looked like a Martin 000-45 or D-45 without the Martin logo for sale but I have never actually played one.
It was in quotation marks... "a 'Martin' inlay", which certainly seems to suggest that the word "Martin" was inlayed.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion