The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Default Stage-Readying your guitar

Before playing out with a guitar I like to have played it at least 15-20 hours -- by this, I am saying I do not play a new to me guitar out live before having become familiar with it--have a played-in (15+ minutes) set of strings on it, fresh battery in the pickup/preamp if so equipped, and a set of straplocks. (I prefer Dunlops). I also make sure to have favorite picks and capo to go with it. Also, I wipe down any major smears, etc. And of course, I tune it.

Just curious what any of you do to get your guitars stage-ready.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 PM

I put on a fresh wound G string which is almost always dead, no matter how old the rest of the strings are. I check my picks, my capo and my tuner to make sure they are on station. That is about it for the guitar.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Other than check the strings and put on new if needed, any of my guitars I play onstage are ready at all times.

Re: batteries - I refuse to have batteries in a guitar due to witnessing and experiencing a few trainwreck situations.

If I got a new guitar that I intended to take on stage, I would first put (at least) a month on it, get it setup to my liking, install my choice of SBT.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 PM

I saw a concert with Lorrie Morgan the other day and during an impromptu song, she was without a guitar. She ask someone to giver her one and she was handed a 12 string. She played it like she has been playing one all along and it belonged to her.

As for being stage ready, we can't all be as professional as someone like Lorrie Morgan so I would be like you and make sure I was totally comfortable with my guitar, hoping that an impromptu song wouldn't come up and someone would hand me an unknown 12 string to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion