The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Help me pick a Martin

I've been doing some playing and comparisons to buy my first real Dread. I love the sound of the D-18 and the HD-28. However, I'm one of those that needs a 1 11/16" nut. I've really tried the 1 3/4" but it just doesn't feel right to me. I like the HD28v but I'm still not 100% on if I can take the V-shaped neck on a long term basis. My options as far as I can see them are:

1. Order a D-18 custom with 1 11/16" nut. But what if the one I receive doesn't sound great?

2. Make the drive to Nashville to try out Pre-2018 used HD-28's

3. Try to bond with the V-shaped neck of HD28v

Any recommendations?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I have grown to love the mod v neck—especially with the narrower nut. The (recently discontinued) HD-28V is the best standard Martin dreadnought in that price range in my opinion. You’ll hear a lot of praise for the new D-18 too, but you have to like the MLO neck and wider nut. A custom with a different nut width or neck shape is not significantly more expensive than the base model, in many cases, but you don’t get to play it first. If you’ve got a lot of cash to drop, the D-18 Authentic 1939 has all you want and more. What’s your price range?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:15 PM

If you are close enough to drive to Nashville and look for a few year old Martin with 1 11/16th nut, that's what I'd do.

I had a CEO-7 that I sold because of the V-neck, just didn't like it. Then, one day I found a 000-28VS with an even wider/bigger V-neck, and it is my favorite guitar of all time now. Point is, you might be surprised what you like after trying something. But Nashville's shops give you a lot to try, including 1 11/16th nuts.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Your cut-off point on a 1-11/16" D-18 is 2011. After that they have the wider necks.

To get a good feel for a 1-11/16" MLO neck, seek out a 15 or 16 series. They have the same neck as the pre-2012 D-18's.

I have a 2018 Ambertone D-18 Custom ordered through Maury's Music. The only structural mod was a swap to a 1-11/16th MLO neck. The additional cost was around $350 for the neck. With a healthy discount I paid a little over $2400, but it would have been less in a natural finish. I was originally quoted a 6 month ETA but it was delivered in just a little over 4 months, presumably because the custom changes were so simple.

Conventional wisdom is that the new D-18's are all consistent and very good. I've yet to hear about a dud D-18. I love mine.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:19 PM

You might check Reverb.com for customs with the 1 11/16 nut width. I recently found a Clay Hess D18 custom with the 1 11/16 nut locally.

Don't discount older D18s or D28s. My 72 D18 with a great neck holds its owns sonically with my D18 custom, despite it not having all of the "right" specs.

You have to take into account possible repairs with used guitars. I know several great luthiers who will inspect a guitar for not much money.

Nashville must have tons of great used guitars. I recently ordered a used keeper from Guitar Center Nashville.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Make the trip. There's no substitute for hands-on.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I have grown to love the mod v neck—especially with the narrower nut. The (recently discontinued) HD-28V is the best standard Martin dreadnought in that price range in my opinion. You’ll hear a lot of praise for the new D-18 too, but you have to like the MLO neck and wider nut. A custom with a different nut width or neck shape is not significantly more expensive than the base model, in many cases, but you don’t get to play it first. If you’ve got a lot of cash to drop, the D-18 Authentic 1939 has all you want and more. What’s your price range?
I'd prefer to stay under 3k.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopGT View Post
Your cut-off point on a 1-11/16" D-18 is 2011. After that they have the wider necks.

To get a good feel for a 1-11/16" MLO neck, seek out a 15 or 16 series. They have the same neck as the pre-2012 D-18's.

I have a 2018 Ambertone D-18 Custom ordered through Maury's Music. The only structural mod was a swap to a 1-11/16th MLO neck. The additional cost was around $350 for the neck. With a healthy discount I paid a little over $2400, but it would have been less in a natural finish. I was originally quoted a 6 month ETA but it was delivered in just a little over 4 months, presumably because the custom changes were so simple.

Conventional wisdom is that the new D-18's are all consistent and very good. I've yet to hear about a dud D-18. I love mine.
I've been leaning towards the custom order with one of the AGF sponsors. I would do the natural finish. I do love the scalloped sound of the new D-18s and I really like the idea of the warranty and purchasing new. In the back of mind I still have that thought about what if the one I get doesn't sound great?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Make the trip. There's no substitute for hands-on.
I'm going to go for sure. I'm only 4.5 hours away from Nashville. I just need to take a vacation day in the middle of the week so the crowds will be smaller.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'd prefer to stay under 3k.
HD-28V for the win.

If you want mahogany, you could definitely get a custom shop D-18 with a different nut width and neck profile. You could even get it with Adirondack or Alpine spruce at that price, if I'm not mistaken. You might even be able to squeeze in "Golden Era scalloped bracing" for that price. MIGHT.

But if you want rosewood, there really isn't a better Martin with your specs and price than the HD-28V.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
HD-28V for the win.

If you want mahogany, you could definitely get a custom shop D-18 with a different nut width and neck profile. You could even get it with Adirondack or Alpine spruce at that price, if I'm not mistaken. You might even be able to squeeze in "Golden Era scalloped bracing" for that price. MIGHT.

But if you want rosewood, there really isn't a better Martin with your specs and price than the HD-28V.
I'm considering it, however, I would prefer to stay more towards 2k than 3k. 3k is my hard limit. Maybe something will call out to me when I try out some at Carter's, Gruhn's, or Artisan. If not, then I'll head up to CME and Chicagoland stores.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm considering it, however, I would prefer to stay more towards 2k than 3k. 3k is my hard limit. Maybe something will call out to me when I try out some at Carter's, Gruhn's, or Artisan. If not, then I'll head up to CME and Chicagoland stores.
I wasn’t kidding! Check it out, for $2700 you get an Adirondack d-18 with GE Adirondack bracing and a one piece mahogany neck. That neck upgrade is several hundred dollars alone. If you’re willing to drop the 12/4 mahogany neck, you could get this same guitar with the neck and nut of your choosing at around the same price. I’d bet you could get it with the 12/4 mahogany for under 3k.

https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Ma...dirondack.html
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Have you considered/played/looked at a D-15? It's standard with an 11/16 nut. It's not blingy if that's your thing and the hardwood top isn't always everyone's sound (especially if you're leaning toward the Rosewood models you've listed) but I'll just say don't discount it. It's half the money or less than what you're looking for and they play and sound amazing. It's every bit a Martin I love the mellower, middy sound of all mahogany guitars and those 15 series are just really hard to beat for the bucks.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Second-hand guitars would fit you : you can get 1"11/16 neck easily, both on D-18s or HD-28s...HD-28V without a V neck, that would be strange...What do they have that you can't get from some HD-28s ? Some used guitars would be like new as the D-18s had a narrow neck till recently (2011 or 2014 - can't remember -), and in HD-28s' case till even more recently (HD-28s or at least D-28s)...There's nothing like playing the guitar first I believe, unless if you are pretty well-off, in which case Custom made could be even better...
I learned a lot and got much closer to know what I really wanted by trying 10+ D-28-ish guitars (including HDs, D-21, D-35s, DCPA1, D-18...).
Enjoy the search...

Last edited by Bernieman; 02-18-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM

If you're that close to Nashville, making the trip is the best choice IMHO. If you're going to take a vacation day, I would do a Friday and plan to stay over in case you need to go back and check on a few before you make your final decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion