The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

This guitar is delivered, and before it left I took a few pictures with my new camera. I was in hurry and didn't look at the pics till today. Sadly, they are less focused on the guitar than I expected. Less sadly, I will get another chance soon. Here is a link to the guitar's page on my site.

And one of the better focused pictures:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM

Bruce, you do this so seemingly easily, the only thing that would be outstanding here would be if you forgot to put a back on.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

The basic moves of lutherie have become a no brainer for me. The challenges are in the subtleties of tone and balance, and these challenges are not trivial at all. They are what keep me going.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanks for sharing the build, Bruce. It looks very nice. It would be nice to hear it as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Thanks for sharing the build, Bruce. It looks very nice. It would be nice to hear it as well.
Thank you very much for that, Charles. The owner has said he’ll post on the guitar eventually, and I hope he does.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Just beautiful.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Looks fantastic! I agree.

May I ask, what size and make frets do you use on your classical guitars?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwood22 View Post
Looks fantastic! I agree.

May I ask, what size and make frets do you use on your classical guitars?
Depends on who I'm building for, as there are many things such as frets which I consider of minor consequence; too minor for me to impose my will! Personally, I am a big fan of Jascar EVO frets, and all of my recent work uses their #74 (I think) which is a medium wire .080 or so wide by .038 or so tall.

I do still have several guitars worth of the wire that was used in the '60's which is quite malleable, yet out wears the modern nickel/Silver wire by several times. It is quite difficult to impossible to install them flat enough for modern tastes, however, and I expect to die with the same amount I have now.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Depends on who I'm building for, as there are many things such as frets which I consider of minor consequence; too minor for me to impose my will! Personally, I am a big fan of Jascar EVO frets, and all of my recent work uses their #74 (I think) which is a medium wire .080 or so wide by .038 or so tall.

I do still have several guitars worth of the wire that was used in the '60's which is quite malleable, yet out wears the modern nickel/Silver wire by several times. It is quite difficult to impossible to install them flat enough for modern tastes, however, and I expect to die with the same amount I have now.

Thanks. I am building my first classical right now and am sweating all of the details... perhaps I just need to channel some instinct and not worry. As you say, there are more major elements that will determine whether this build works or not!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwood22 View Post
Thanks. I am building my first classical right now and am sweating all of the details... perhaps I just need to channel some instinct and not worry. As you say, there are more major elements that will determine whether this build works or not!
FWIW I find that classical players, like most classical makers, are steeped in tradition and tend to like the softer frets. Classical strings will not wear out frets nearly as much as steel strings do.

That's a fine lookin' guitar Bruce, I'd love to play that thing.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have had a well intentioned “expert” tell me that EVO frets are hard on nylon strings; that the strings will quickly become frayed. After 2 years of regular play, surely over 200 hours, on a single set of strings on my personal Flamenco guitar I finally changed my strings and see no sign of fraying at all, though there is a bit of wear. I have to suspect that the frets in question by the “expert” must have been poorly surfaced, which wouldn’t have had anything to do with their metallurgy as the EVO wire polishes very well and quite easily.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:39 PM

That's good to know. I am becoming more and more fond of Evo as time goes on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical