The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Interesting thread.
Ever since a bridgeplate failed on a 12 string during a concert, I've felt that the bridgeplate holding the ball ends of strings was a poor design.

I couldn't use the Mitchell's plat mate on my guitars as they don't seem to make a 2 & 3/8" string spacing, but I guess an engineer could make versions of them. Then, of course we'd have to investigate the tonal changes.

The mis-named "bridge-saver" methodology would seem more appropriate to e in saving the tonal quality of a "vintage" guitar, but I woder about the longevity of those little domes.

My oldest flat top is my '64 Martin D12-20, and I'd hate to have a bridgeplate failure on that like I did on my old D12-35!
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM

What happened when your bridgeplate failed?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 PM

Silly, that failure must have been dramatic. Did that guitar have slotted bridge pins or solid?

The Platemate installs using an adhesive strip, and that strip probably would deaden the sound somewhat. I'm curious what it would sound like if the strip wasn't used. Not using the strip would make string changing a little more complicated but not impossible.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 PM

Default ca to adhere plate?

if avoiding the cushioning effect that attends doublesided tape, how about using thickened or jelled ca glue to install a platemate? Knowing, of course, that is just about a permanent installation.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
if avoiding the cushioning effect that attends doublesided tape, how about using thickened or jelled ca glue to install a platemate? Knowing, of course, that is just about a permanent installation.
If I recall correctly - I don't think it's double sided tape like the roll foamy stuff. I think its was more like the 3M sheet adhesive that's a thin tacky film. Like the stuff I put a pick guard on with.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 PM

So here's another question. Remember, I'm worried about having 11 string holes in a row drilled through the top and bridgeplate.

I noticed that Breedlove and Greenfield, a factory maker and a very fine independent luthier, both use a pin-less bridge. The holes are drilled kind of like a classical guitar and have a recess at the rear so the ball ends don't stick out and look/feel ugly.

If I were to make a bridge like this I could put it right over the existing holes and not have to drill new ones. That would really ease my mind about weakening the top and bridgeplate.

My question is, what effect will this type of bridge have on the sound?

Obviously I'm making a big change going from 6 strings EADGBE to 5 strings FCGDA and narrowing the neck to match. So I don't expect the new manifestation to sound identical to the old. But I'm not changing the top thickness or bracing, so will having the strings pull at a very different angle totally ruin it? I know the notes will still sound, but will I lose volume in going to this kind of bridge? Or tonal balance or anything like that?

Or maybe it will be an improvement? Why do some luthiers/factories use this type while most seem to use pin bridges?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson T View Post
I put them in my Martin HD28 and D18, both bought new. I removed the one on the 28 at the first string change and immediately replaced it because it sounded better with it installed.
Hi there, sorry for hijacking this thread back from the grave but did you put a platemate on your new guitars straight away?

Noticed any tonal difference whether positive or negative effect?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2019, 07:23 AM

Great Idea. I would make my own as it seems simple enough. And Stewmacs
shipping costs just bug me. This particular item is 24.99 and it cost
9.99 to ship. It probably costs 55 cents to ship. Backending profits justs
annoys me. [/rant].
Ok it bugged me so much i looked for one on ebay.
So if you want to buy one heres a way to save some bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MusicianAtH...EAAOSwd3dZX9X7

Last edited by varmonter; 04-27-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Vibrations from the strings travel through the saddle and bridge into the guitar top, not from the ball end through the bridge plate into the guitar top. Any tone difference from a Plate Mate or similar mod or repair is just splitting hairs !

Last edited by Krash58; 04-27-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
Vibrations from the strings travel through the saddle and bridge into the guitar top, not from the ball end through the bridge plate into the guitar top. Any tone difference from a Plate Mate or similar mod or repair is just splitting hairs !
That's good to hear then. Well worth of a try IMO.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:55 PM

Default profits

Never mind 'backending profits'. In the case of the commercial product, a dime's worth of scrap metal gets six holes punched in it....and it becomes a guitar accessory.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:13 PM

I have them in my older guitars. At first I was just going to use them until I could have the plate repaired but then I loved how this improved the sound so they have been on those guitars ten years or more. Great product.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I have them in my older guitars. At first I was just going to use them until I could have the plate repaired but then I loved how this improved the sound so they have been on those guitars ten years or more. Great product.
What guitar brand and model exactly are you taking about?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Martin D-28 Martin D-41 Mossman Winters Wheat 12 String
Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Lets remove the fact that I and others have said that we feel it improved the sound and go off the job it was intended to do and that is preventing any more damage to your bridgeplate and that alone is worth it to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion