The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Default best martin within 3000 range (new)

was wondering which martin within the 3000 dollar range would be best. which one is brighter and has that feel it in the gut sound. i want one that will make me get goosebumps whenever i play it. i know that the best way to figure this out is to play them but the store by me doesnt have them in stock, they have to be ordered. i like how the hd35 is really bright and responsive. any other suggestions. thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 PM

If you are attracted to the HD35, I assume you are looking for a dred. Consider the custom D-28s offered by the Mandolin Store. Adi top/IRW backs, low profile neck etc.
If you are thinking something a little smaller, OM-21 Special or OM-28V have a lot of fans.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 PM

HD-28
HD-28V
M-38
OM-28V

OO-28V

From large to small. I believe all of these can be had for $3000 new. Yes, there are some custom models from various brick & mortar dealers that work well. Gruhn Guitars in Nashville has an HD-28V variant with an adirondack top and a 1 3/4" nut.

It really is all in the playing - the hand on the neck and the ears to the sound are subjective and everything that brings pleasure - my favorite is not his favorite. I have a Marquis - a little out of your price range, but only by a couple of hundred dollars. Marquis models come new in D and OM sizes.

Good hunting.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 PM

I think a HD-28V, M-38 or if you prefer hog, a D-18V, all very nice guitars, very loud and bassy.
Smaller body, I'd go OM-28V (if you like V neck) and OM-21 special or a 16 series OMJM. Again if you prefer hog, I'd love a OM-18V or a 00-18V. Others may have more experience in other Martins. Good luck
Old 11-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Since you haven't had an opportunity to play them, the criteria for my recommendations will be based upon models that: 1) I like; 2) are exceedingly and broadly popular; 3) retain their value well; and 4) are easy to resell. Based on that criteria, my internal computer comes up with the OM-28V and the HD-28V. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 AM

might not be what what your looking for but im a huge fan of the m36. its a great guitar
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 AM

The sound of the HD-28 is awesome! Go play some guitars!

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 AM

This may be the best buy in a $3K Martin if the style appeals. Bargain compared to the other models with similar features. Please buy it so I won't have to.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...s/HD28LSVA.htm
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Look into D-28 Marquis and also pre-owned HJ-38 Steffan Grossman.

But here's my recommendation... get a good Martin dread (say D28, D35, D18GE, etc.), then send it to Bryan Kimsey. He can transform the already very good Martins into really great guitars.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/music/lutherie.htm

I own a 'Kimseyfied' 1976 D-35 that sounds as good and as loud as any guitar I've ever played.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM

As someone who has owned over 30 Martins let me give you my opinion, just means I'm old and have a few bucks, but all "opinion" are worth the same, priceless to the giver, not so much to everybody else................

To me, the best Martin dread(s) in that price range are the HD-28MP and D-18GE. From you description I think the GE is too dark/fundamental, and rosewood will give you the sound you describe. The Madagascar Martins I have owned were just a little bit more, top to bottom than the EIR Martins, even up to Marquis level.

The HD-28 MP is a terrific guitar and quite a bit less than the earlier Madagascars. Sitka over Madagascar, 1-3/4" nut with the performing neck profile (wonderful playability), boned saddle/nut, scalloped braces, Iveroid versus white Boltaron binding (warm grained cream color instead of stark white, Iveroid is used on higher end Martins), Herringbone purfling, and a Geib case.

I've played two, they are just terrific guitars and really have an edge on HD-28's in a cleaner low end and a bit more harmonics/overtones.

All the standard Martin dreads are pretty nice guitars, to me the Madagascars fall into the special category. Highly recommended by an old fart who has a lot of Martin miles under his belt..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Depends on whether you want traditional or contemporary. In the contemporay arena, I would recommend the Series 1 in the Performing Artist series. I am thoroughly pleased with my GPCPA1, which has a MAP price of $2,999 , but can be had for less. You've already heard from others here about the great models in the traditional series.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
Depends on whether you want traditional or contemporary. In the contemporay arena, I would recommend the Series 1 in the Performing Artist series. I am thoroughly pleased with my GPCPA1, which has a MAP price of $2,999 , but can be had for less. You've already heard from others here about the great models in the traditional series.
+1 on the GPCPA1, it will sound good strumming, flatpicking or fingerpicking and the electronics are the best sounding Ive ever heard

Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 08:30 AM

I am beginning to understand why Martin makes so many models...ha!

Bottom line: all models in your price range are great. You should probably go on a road trip and play a few to figure out what trips your trigger.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I respectfully disagree that it's traditional verus contemporary, Martin Aura models are stage guitar, acoustic electrics, they are meant to be plugged in, and are braced and voiced for that function. Terrific guitars, I've been playing an OMC-Aura on stage for 8 years, and the new performing artist models have even better electronics, but they are not standard Martins and don't sound like them.

Traditional Martin acoustics and Aura/Performing Artists is comparing Apples and Oranges, buy what suits your needs. Unplugged my Aura and Performing Artists models do not sound as "rich" as standard Martins, they can't, the bracing and voicing is in consideration of their intended function, on stage plugged in.

Acoustics and acoustic/electrics are different animals..................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Although I have tons of experience with many different Martins I still don't feel qualified to advise the OP based on the info he has given us so fa. At this point all we know is he has three grand and is looking for a Martin with a brighter tone with "that feel it in the gut sound", and one that will make him get goosebumps whenever he plays it.

Rob, how about a little more info like playing style, body size and neck shape preferred, and if you will be playing plugged in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion