The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 PM

Default 2006 musicians friend Ltd 414ce rosewood label

Hello all... I’m sure I’m nuts.
What brings me here? I’ve been thinking of modifying my 2006 Taylor Ltd 414ce rosewood with es1 electronics (AA battery).
I’ve never liked the es sound that much and am just fed up now that I’m playing more again. I’m researching all kinds of options... even modifying the system as is and bypassing the neck pickup.

But that isn’t why I am posting.

While inspecting it I noticed the label over the neck bolts is missing... with some paper remnants and glue. I also noticed one of the clips on the circuit board was chipped.
I’ve never let anyone borrow the guitar and I have been the only player since I bought it new in dec 2006. But I can’t imagine never noticing this before... especially the label.
I contacted Taylor... the serial numbers are all good and registered to me. The block stamp matches the paper serial number label visible in the soundhole with the model on it.

This is a musicians friend Ltd model from that year with rosewood back and sides and maple binding.
I ordered two at the time and played them side by side and settled on the one I have had since (and returned the other after just a couple of days).
So... Taylor didn’t have a record of any repair but said someone must have taken the label off at some point.

I can’t figure it out.

Have any of you ever seen this before? Is it maybe musicians friend that did something all of those years ago before I bought it?
Was this originally going to be an 814ce and the blemish on the back (yeah... small blemish) made them go with a satin finish and put on the 414 neck instead and sell it as a musicians friend Ltd?
Maybe it had been trialed by someone else, returned, and musicians friend techs did an adjustment on it?
I even thought maybe the label just fell off but I would have found it.
I’m quite OCD about my musical equipment... I just can’t figure this out.

It is a great guitar and Taylor has offered to send me a new label so that’s nice of them.
12+ years and only now is this bothering me... I must be crazy.
Of course we rarely look inside our guitars up near the neck block so it is possible it has been this way since I bought it.

Last edited by lostape; 02-20-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 PM

THat is bizarre. The answer for your pickup question is K&K mini
Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone ever worked on the guitar? You need to peel the sticker if you want to access the NT neck removal bolts. Either someone was messing with that or the sticker adhesive wasn't good and it fell off.

Look around inside maybe the sticker curled up and fell inside (and maybe even stuck to something so it isn't flopping around).

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 AM

No work on it that I know of and I bought it directly from mf new.
I searched inside... no sign of the label.
So weird.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion