The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Finger Dexterity

Hi Guys
Learning Bach's Minuet ll in G.
I was doing well but then have got to a point were i'm finding it very difficult to hold a certain chord almost impossible, my fingers don't seem to stretch far enough apart? The notes im trying to hold are, D Third fret B string and
G third fret Bottom E string, my Teacher uses His little finger on the D and the next finger [Ring I think] on the G, he insists I must use these fingers.
I told him about the struggle but he said I must not cut corners using the middle finger instead of the Ring, our hands are also exactly the same size which seems bizarre to me!
Its been a couple of weeks plus and still no progress, this is stopping me finishing the piece and its so frustrating! The problem arises at the eighth Bar, whats even more frustrating is im now very fluid from bar 1 to 7 but this is stopping me moving on, I've tried every technique with the left hand to over come this with no result, it seems my Two fingers just wont stretch far enough apart...Are there any exercises or anything else I could try, practice appears to be getting me nowhere.
Any help VERY much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM

A common fingering for a first position "cowboy" G major chord is to finger the high E string on the third fret with the baby finger (fifth), the low E string at the third fret with the fourth finger and the fifth string with the third finger at the second fret. A "worse" stretch than the fingering you are trying to obtain.

There are many, many dexterity exercises. You could ask your teacher to suggest one that would help you practice this stretch. Unless you have some specifics that prevent it, with sufficient work, the fingering he is suggesting, and you are trying to achieve, should be doable. It is not an uncommon fingering or stretch.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Charles.
Just been looking on line for some finger exercise gadgets.
I do own a thing called a 'Flanger' FA-10P Extend-o -Grip. It appears its ok for strength but maybe not dexterity/stretching. Just found a kind of rubber hand/ finger exercise aid, looks as though it may help...can only try.

Thanks again Charles.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'd recommend just finding exercises you can do that don't involve contraptions or devices. I've heard some stories... But I think it's really just a matter of doing certain things over and over again until the muscles know what to do without being told. If you can't physically make your fingers hit those positions then that's probably another thing entirely. Good luck and keep up the hard work!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Stretching Exercises

Google "essential hand stretches for guitarists" (it's on youtube).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY
Do these each day for a couple weeks before you play and the stretches will be easier and your fingers will move better.

Last edited by Ct20; 02-19-2019 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM

For what it's worth, the mentioned Cowboy G Major too me six months to do, and nine to do it reliably. I started by using my right hand to get my left fingers in place, then let go with my right hand while pushing/pulling/flexing my left as hard as possible to keep the fingers from moving out of place. It was indeed truly impossible for six months, but every week I saw my hand being able to get a fraction of a mm closer to where it needed to be. Give it half a year, and a few hundred hours... That's unfortunately what it took for me.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:22 AM

Thanks a good idea, i'll try that, Thanks!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:07 AM

What I prefer to do is concentrate on the particular technical challenge I'm facing.

I find that more useful than specific "Dexterity" or "Stretch" or what have you exercises.

I find that carefully planning my LH fingering is essential. Otherwise it's tempting, when seeing something that looks like a "C Chord," to put my hand in Cowboy C position, rather than figuring out where I need to be next and fingering accordingly.

It's a bit like playing pool. Where's the cue ball going to wind up?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM

That's a good way of looking at it. just to note, i'm useless at Pool!....:}
Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Looks like the first measure should start out with that fingering (if I am looking at the right piece of music). Anyway you will most likely get a handle on it soon.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-26-2019, 02:15 AM

Cheers Rick,
hope so!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefinger View Post
Hi Guys
I was doing well but then have got to a point were i'm finding it very difficult to hold a certain chord almost impossible, my fingers don't seem to stretch far enough apart? The notes im trying to hold are, D Third fret B string and
G third fret Bottom E string, my Teacher uses His little finger on the D and the next finger [Ring I think] on the G, he insists I must use these fingers.
I told him about the struggle but he said I must not cut corners using the middle finger instead of the Ring, our hands are also exactly the same size which seems bizarre to me!
Its been a couple of weeks plus and still no progress, this is stopping me finishing the piece and its so frustrating! The problem arises at the eighth Bar, whats even more frustrating is im now very fluid from bar 1 to 7 but this is stopping me moving on, I've tried every technique with the left hand to over come this with no result, it seems my Two fingers just wont stretch far enough apart...Are there any exercises or anything else I could try, practice appears to be getting me nowhere.
Hi,

Could you give me the exact Bach number (BWV) that you are referring to?
I can't find that one, but I may be looking in the wrong place. You're saying minuet II in G, but I'm not finding it. Is it G major or G minor?

Thanks,
Louis

I found it, so forgive the post.

Thanks.

Last edited by LBrandt; 03-02-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefinger View Post
Hi Guys
I think you're referring to Minuet BWV Ahn 114 (Anna Magdalena Notebook). In any event, for many pieces in which G on the 6th string and D on the 2nd string are plucked together the ring and pinkie fingers of the left hand are the most efficacious to use from a technical perspective. By training these fingers to play the root and 5th of the G chord you'll be opening a myriad of musical doors. Persevere and you'll be amply rewarded in the long run. Your teacher is right to insist that you use ring and pinkie in this context IMHO.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:04 PM

I jumped the gun with my previous post so here's an exercise that might help.
Set your 3rd finger on the 3rd fret of the 5th string (C note). Now play a one octave plus a major 2nd 1st position C scale ( up C D E F G A B C D down C B A G F E D C) while keeping your 3rd finger down on the 5th string throughout the scale. The ring and pinkie fingers are forced to make a 4 string stretch, one less than the requirement of the piece you're working on. When you're comfortable with this exercise add a two octave 1st position G major scale, holding your 3rd finger down on the 6th string G note throughout. Not only will you be able to play a host of classical guitar pieces when you've mastered these exercises but you'll be able to play Lyin' Eyes by the Eagles too!

Last edited by Trevor B.; 03-03-2019 at 12:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical