The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Don't hold your breath. These are super skinny necks without hardly the slightest V. I'm sure many will like them, but if "chunky" or "v neck" is what you were hoping for, you're going to be disappointed. (I've played 3 of them at the Martin factory.)
I own 3 Martins with "V" necks, and I thought the new MD guitar neck profile was very comfortable. More so than the MLO necks they're putting on all their standard guitars now...
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Dang, I’d love to find a dealer like that two hundred miles away! Living in a relatively rural area I have to travel more than 100 miles just to find a GC with a mediocre acoustic selection. Even then I’d be lucky to find the model I want to try...much less two or three of the same model so I can a/b them.

I’m sure you know you’re one lucky dude.
Yes, but here’s the beauty for you....Mark wants a long term relationship with you too! He’s a straight shooter, will give you his best price right out of the gate, higher than market trade-ins and a generous return policy. Give him a try!

BTW, I have no business relationship with Reno’s other than as a customer that wants them to thrive and be around for me for at least the rest of my life.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcaleca View Post
I own 3 Martins with "V" necks, and I thought the new MD guitar neck profile was very comfortable. More so than the MLO necks they're putting on all their standard guitars now...
Good to read this. Proof is in the playing.

What did you think of the sound?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Good to read this. Proof is in the playing.

What did you think of the sound?
I thought they were really good. I don't know if it's the VTS, or the Adi bracing, but there was just a little more overall tone.. If I had the money, I would buy one..
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 AM

I’ve been hoping to hear this from an Authentic owner...

I do not own an Authentic. If we consider A’s the top-of-the-food-chain at Martin (price certainly puts them there), then MDs are now the step on the ladder just below them. The “Deluxe” part of the formula adopts the critical top specs of VTS spruce with VTS bracing adhered with protein glue while the “Modern” features are unique tone-contributing items.

Given this wonderful options package for a bargain of an upcharge, the MDs should have much of the tone characteristics of the Authentics with their own unique little twist. It seems to me to be a fine, well-thought out package. I’m impressed and frankly should be coming from below on the Martin price/quality ladder. It’s nice the see someone already swimming in Authentic waters give the MD formula an endorsement.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Given this wonderful options package for a bargain of an upcharge, the MDs should have much of the tone characteristics of the Authentics with their own unique little twist. It seems to me to be a fine, well-thought out package. I’m impressed and frankly should be coming from below on the Martin price/quality ladder. It’s nice the see someone already swimming in Authentic waters give the MD formula an endorsement.
I’ve owned Authentics and I’ve played three of the new MDs.

While I agree the price on the MD line relative to the upgrades on them reflects a bargain (especially if you’re keen on the aesthetic choices), the claim that these guys even approach the tone and feel of a Martin Authenic is wildly off base, in my opinion. The construction differences are numerous: Sitka vs Adirondack top, vintage scalloped bracing vs authentic bracing (that one is enormous), shelf stable fish glue on top bracing vs hot hide glue entire guitar, regular gloss finish vs authentic thin finish (underrated tonal factor, for sure), adjustable neck rod vs fixed Tbar, larger carbon fiber bridgeplate vs smaller maple bridgeplate that is “tucked” under the x braces, skinny neck vs chunky neck (well, on most Authentics, not all), generally beefier construction vs overall lighter construction. (They do both have mahogany necks, which is a cool fact people often neglect about the MDs.)

Even though I don’t like the skinny new MD necks, I really like the sound and overall look for the money. I think they represent a great value and addition to the Martin lineup, but they’re not even in the same ballpark as the Authentic line. That’s not to say all players will prefer Authentics to MDs, or visa versa! That’s just to say these two families of Martin guitar really sound and play quite distinctly from one another. Just wanted to make that clear for other readers, in my opinion (of course).

Last edited by zoopeda; 02-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I do not own an Authentic. If we consider A’s the top-of-the-food-chain at Martin (price certainly puts them there), then MDs are now the step on the ladder just below them. The “Deluxe” part of the formula adopts the critical top specs of VTS spruce with VTS bracing adhered with protein glue while the “Modern” features are unique tone-contributing items.

I own two Authentics, but I haven't had an opportunity to play the new MD OM-28, which would be closest to my OM-28 Authentic. The MDs seem like excellent instruments that I would expect to sell well, but I'd be surprised if they compared closely to the Authentics. There is a tonal balance in the Authentics that I don't hear in Standard Series Martins, or even for that matter in the 000-18 GE that I used to own. To my ear Martins, particularly EIR, have tended to sound slightly bass heavy, but not the Authentics. Every note, no matter where it's played rings out with complete balance and clarity. But the street price for an OM-28 A is probably about $2000 more than the MD, so I think they will definitely fill a price/value niche.

I'll also give a +1 for Reno's Music, while I'm at it. I'm a local and Mark sold me both of my Authentics. Prices are as low as you'll find anywhere, and service is great. I think he's very fair with trades, and he will wave his consignment fee if you wish to sell directly and purchase another guitar from him. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately…), the 1843 Di Goni Authentic didn't call my name this year.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I got a D28MD. It’s big and bold and brash but for the music I play I actually prefer the D42 2018 that I had previously auditioned. I think I am going to go back to that instead. It could just be the particular guitar of course.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:03 PM

When I said they sound really good, that comparison would be to my 000-28EC. I have a great EC, and the 000-28MD was as good, or a little better than the EC, as was the OM-28MD. The D-18MD was nice, but no where near my D-18A. The Authentics are in a different league. But I will say the MD's are a step up in tone than the Standard line, and as I said, the neck profile (to me) is far more comfortable than the MLO which is on the just about every Martin now.... Just MHO, YYMV, etc, etc...
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion