The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FYI Eminence will sell you a "broken-in" version of any of their guitar/bass speakers factory-direct, for a $20 upcharge over MAP...
Gotta give em' credit $20 more for used, or should I say relic'ed ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
FYI Eminence will sell you a "broken-in" version of any of their guitar/bass speakers factory-direct, for a $20 upcharge over MAP...
Very cool. I would have thought that some 160+ IQ from MIT would have figured out a way to build a lets say "pre-flexed, broken in "speaker support by now. These companies would buy them by the box car make life easier for everyone.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Fender has so many great amps and so many differing types of users that there is no way of saying one of them is the best and just as with guitars, the best is the one that you think works for you.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Just watched the video of the reissue of the '62 Fender Princeton Chris Stapleton signature model. Salesman said they had Eminence create the speaker for this amp. So there you go...Eminence sounds like the way to go for good out of the box amp. This one sells for 2K wow!!!.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
...Eminence sounds like the way to go for good out of the box amp. This one sells for 2K wow!!!...
When I bought my Bugera V22 in early 2010 the first mod I performed was to trash the OEM Celestion wannabe (BTW I wouldn't be so quick to do this with the new Infinium version - the factory Turbosound speakers are quite good if you're looking for a less aggressive British tone) and replace it with an Eminence Swamp Thang - big difference right out of the box...

Loaded some good-quality glassware, did a mild rebias...

Broke it in myself - took about 75-100 hours before it really came into its own...

Turned my 22W practice/small-gig amp into a blue-check Ampeg B-12XT (60W 2x12" Portaflex) tone-clone, that'll handle a 600-700 seat house with no problem and still power down to lease-friendly levels (using it on a coffeehouse gig this Saturday) - and at a still-hefty ~50 lbs. it's nevertheless half the weight of the Ampeg...

IME Eminence has the tone-per-dollar market covered, whatever your preference...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 02-15-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-15-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Very cool. I would have thought that some 160+ IQ from MIT would have figured out a way to build a lets say "pre-flexed, broken in "speaker support by now. These companies would buy them by the box car make life easier for everyone.
Weber offers free break-in on any speaker they sell, or you can just lightly brush the surround on any new speaker with acetone to pre-soften it.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Weber offers free break-in on any speaker they sell, or you can just lightly brush the surround on any new speaker with acetone to pre-soften it.
Or you can follow Celestion's guidance, which I've found to work very well.

"Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to warm up the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for up to an hour, using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing.

This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way there."
Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Best depends on what you want.
(I seem to be happiest with more marshally sounds)
This. Silver face, black face, tweed Fenders all sound great but in different ways.

Although it may not be "the best" I think the Black face Deluxe Reverb has the combination of great tone and gigging volume that I would ever want or need.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Different timbres, different features, different volume capabilities, different contexts, even I suppose different cosmetics mean that there's no "best."

For me, even saying "favorite" might vary day to day or song to song. But if forced to choose, I'd say the black panel Princeton. But that's just me.

That pair of reviewers have always loved the Bassbreaker, I assume because they like the "British voiced"/Marshall sound.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The up side is. like with the TV's of days gone by, the new ones dont have to be serviced or repaired.
No they don't, we just throw them away if they have a problem. As far as the vid is concerned, I liked amp B, mostly because I thought the sound of A may have been a little bright. But with a little EQ they could have sounded the same.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
No they don't, we just throw them away if they have a problem. As far as the vid is concerned, I liked amp B, mostly because I thought the sound of A may have been a little bright. But with a little EQ they could have sounded the same.
Interesting, you're the only person to take the 'Pepsi Challenge' and that speaks volumes.

Amp A, the solid state amp, can be found 'used' for under $99. In addition Amp A can also be programmed (up to 100 profiles) to sound like other amps, with or without effects. It's essential a computer with a PA.

I don't know how much Amp B (the Eric Clapton Tremolux) goes for these days, but it can't be cheap...or lightweight!
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Yup. Concur. Back when the wiring was done with — well — WIRE......before the cheap printed circuit boards made the amps very hard to modify, service, or repair.
I always find such comments interesting. Help me understand. I am writing this on a computer which virtually has no "wires" in it... printed circuits. The processor is essentially a printed circuit holding multiple BILLION transistors in some the size of my little fingernail. People marvel at the technology and wait for the next big (aka 'small') thing... 7nm features (wires that are only seven 1-billionth of a meter in width.

These circuits on a computer are great but to have them on an amplifier is a negative? A wire carries electrons from point A to point B. If the wire (or printed circuit) is of the correct size to carry the designated load it has done its job. Now what it is connecting too is another story. Is the cap, resistor, diode, tube, transformer, etc. the correct component? To me it had better be as that is what is creating the "whole package". But the wire? I don't see how that really comes into play. Educate me; seriously (I'm not trying to be confrontational), I really would like some insight.

Thanks in advance for your input. :-)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM

I’m very happy with my Fender DRRI ‘65. Best amp I’ve owned. I don’t have the luxury of playing an authentic ‘65, so I’ll settle for a PCB amp with nice tubes. I know several other guys who play in regular bands and tour. They play the same amp. We shared a stage recently at a benefit and 3 of us in consecutive bands were able to use the same back line! Everybody sounded good!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Although it may not be "the best" I think the Black face Deluxe Reverb has the combination of great tone and gigging volume that I would ever want or need.
I own a few really nice amplifiers, but I can say without a doubt, That everytime I plug into my '64 Deluxe Reverb I get lost in one of the best clean tones I've ever heard in my life, and I've been gigging full time for most of my adult years and I'm 60 years old. It's not because I have any special leaning towards vintage amps, as most of my amps are newer. I have a Victoria Regal II, TopHat Club Deluxe, Dirty Girl Reverb, and a recent custom built Marshall 18 Watt style amp that all sound good, actually they all sound great, but nothing has a clean tone like that Deluxe. And a louder gig volumes the overdrive on the Deluxe in phenomenal! And I've never heard any Fender reissue get close to that tone. And as for PCB amps, I'm sure some sound great, but most techs don't like to work on them, I know I don't!

As for the best Fender amp ever made, I'll stick with any of their classic vintage amps for the tone and the build quality that "I" prefer.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
... as for PCB amps, I'm sure some sound great, but most techs don't like to work on them, I know I don't!

That is certainly one thing for point-to-point. Sooner or later an amp needs some work. Replacing caps, or whatever - and some like to modify amps. I have no idea if currents move any different in PCB vs. wires.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars