The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Fender Dealer?

Looking for Fender dealer recommendations (especially AGF sponsors). I'm thinking of picking up a new Telecaster Pro Maple at some point over the next few months, and if there is a forum sponsor who carries Fender, I want to be sure to consider them.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Well, since this AGF, I don't think there are too many Fender dealers here.

IMO, all electric guitars are fungible. One is as good as the next, once you choose your model. I'll buy them used and new on Reverb , I've bought from Music 123, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, AMS, Sweetwater. I might have bought one from ZZounds.

My advice is find the one that you think looks the best, and then find the best price.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
IMO, all electric guitars are fungible. One is as good as the next, once you choose your model.
You must be in the legal field, as "fungible" is pretty much attorney speak. That aside, I respectfully disagree with your above statement. One might pick one's "model" to be a Fender Telecaster, for example, but there are many variations of Teles, and to say they are all interchangeable is an oversimplification.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

For instance, every Standard Telecaster will be pretty much the same. Other than color, there isn't any real difference. They typically sell for $599. Search around and you can find one for much less.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Chicago Music Exchange is a Fender dealer, and an AGF sponsor. It's also a great guitar shop with an amazing selection of electric guitars.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Chicago Music Exchange is a Fender dealer, and an AGF sponsor. It's also a great guitar shop with an amazing selection of electric guitars.
Thanks! My research over the weekend led me to that same conclusion, so I reached out to them last night. I have purchased guitars off of them before, and they were quite responsive and receptive when I reached out.

I'm trying to get a handle on the MAP vs. "best street price" for new Fender USA electrics, and it appears there is very little wiggle room. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, it seems that Fender USA Strats & Teles hold their value pretty well. It is hard to fine used examples of the Standard and Pro series Teles in very good/excellent condition that are much less than 70% of MAP. With a difference of just a few hundred dollars, it's hard not to go new.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Thanks! My research over the weekend led me to that same conclusion, so I reached out to them last night. I have purchased guitars off of them before, and they were quite responsive and receptive when I reached out.

I'm trying to get a handle on the MAP vs. "best street price" for new Fender USA electrics, and it appears there is very little wiggle room. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, it seems that Fender USA Strats & Teles hold their value pretty well. It is hard to fine used examples of the Standard and Pro series Teles in very good/excellent condition that are much less than 70% of MAP. With a difference of just a few hundred dollars, it's hard not to go new.
Go on Reverb and make an offer on a CME item. They are pretty good about responding.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
You must be in the legal field, as "fungible" is pretty much attorney speak. That aside, I respectfully disagree with your above statement. One might pick one's "model" to be a Fender Telecaster, for example, but there are many variations of Teles, and to say they are all interchangeable is an oversimplification.
I also believe that mushroom pizzas are fungible.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Go on Reverb and make an offer on a CME item. They are pretty good about responding.
Gmountain, this is exactly what they recommended!

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM

make your list of dealers provided above. call them. eliminate the highest priced ones and keep calling until you get the price you want. don't rule out big box stores in person-money talks. you should have done this prior to the holiday. now you can focus on july 4.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
For instance, every Standard Telecaster will be pretty much the same. Other than color, there isn't any real difference. They typically sell for $599. Search around and you can find one for much less.
I am not that experienced, but I don't think that is entirely right. To my mind, I have felt differences between one guitar and another, sitting side by side in the store and may have been made in the same run. It is not as great as the variation between acoustics, but I don't agree that every guitar of the same model Telecaster will play or sound the same.

Some of that is probably set up, but I don't know if it all is. Some are just put together better, or have slightly better or worse pick ups or what not.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Some sponsors with Fenders

http://briansguitars.com

https://wildwoodguitars.com

http://www.morganmusic.com

http://www.capitalguitarsonline.com

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=369815
Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am not that experienced, but I don't think that is entirely right. To my mind, I have felt differences between one guitar and another, sitting side by side in the store and may have been made in the same run. It is not as great as the variation between acoustics, but I don't agree that every guitar of the same model Telecaster will play or sound the same.

Some of that is probably set up, but I don't know if it all is. Some are just put together better, or have slightly better or worse pick ups or what not.
Not to mention one may weigh 8 lbs 9 oz and the next "identical one" may weigh 7 lbs 3 oz
Old 06-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

If I'm interested in a Fender with the grain showing through, I tend to shop with places that display pictures of the actual guitar. I want to purchase a guitar whose grain is pleasing to my eye. I purchased my Standard Telecaster recently from Music Farm who gave me the 15% discount I requested after Sweetwater nickel and dimed me and gave me some guff about including their 55-point inspection (which I've found to be spotty at times), tax-free and a manufacturers' warranty. The sales rep specifically said that they provided those "valuable" services rather than "race to the bottom" with companies like Musicians Friend.

My Standard Tele is an amazing MIM guitar, and I had Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups installed. It's all the electric guitar I'll need and sounds terrific through my Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-05-2018, 09:18 PM

I'm also shopping for an American Tele. The parallels and originals look sweet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars