The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Waterloo WL-14X compared to Collings C10-35?

While I truly love my 2 Waterloo WL-14s, I do look down occasionally and think there isn't much bling to it. (I can see how Kalamazoo owners of the 1930s were tempted to add some 'stuff'. I had an old Gibson de-stuffed by my luthier).

So does anyone own both the Waterloo AND the glossier, way more expensive Collings C10-35? Just interested how the glossy compares to the plain Jane.... sound, necks???

BluesKing777.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I have owned three Collings (never a C10, all OMs) and two Waterloos but I can tell you there's no similarity other than excellent craftsmanship and place of origin.

Collings are like brightish high end Martins (sort of) and Waterloos are sort of like Kalamazoos, sorta kinda,..

I sold all the Collings over the years but still have the Waterloos, but that's just my taste.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:30 PM

I am interested in the C10-35, apart from being the same size as the Waterloo WL-14s, because of the blurb from Collings....

C10-35As the newest addition to our acoustic line-up, the C10-35 brings a new voice to one of our favorite body sizes. This limited-production model features specially selected ultra-lightweight tonewoods, non-scalloped Adirondack bracing, a long cutthrough saddle, and other vintage-inspired features for an entirely new C10 experience. Like its big brother, the popular CJ-35 model, the C10-35 produces dry punchy tone with a snarly attack and incredibly even response in a compact and comfortable package.

Snarly attack!!!

That sounds like me.

And there is a blacktop version in a shop near me! Currently doors are closed, obviously. Steve James use to play a C10..

BluesKing777.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:42 PM

Would love to see a comparison of the bracing patterns in the C10-35 and the WL-14X. The WL-14X has non-scalloped bracing too.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:50 PM

I just watched this old video and have to say I like all the models....

But of interest is the blacktop C10-35 that is also at a shop near me.

C10s in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42vJWLSlSrE

BluesKing777.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 AM

I had both, just sold my WL-14X about a month ago. Both great guitars, but the C10-35 has a fuller sound. I almost said richer, but that makes it sound more refined than it is - it’s really an in-your-face beast. Very loud and punchy. I love mine. (Mine has a Sitka top.)

Regarding the neck - my WL-14X had what is called the “smaller” neck, the rounder C shaped one, not the V neck. I don’t know why they call it smaller. Measured around the “C” at the nut, my Waterloo was almost an eighth of an inch (7/64ths) larger than my C10-35. And the C10-35 neck is fairly meaty. I used to have a C10 Deluxe G (long scale, maple b&s), and although I sold it before I bought the C10-35, I’m sure the standard and deluxe C10s Have a less meaty neck. I also had a 1937 (best guess) Gibson L-00 for almost 35 years, which I also sold before buying the C10-35, I have no doubt that the C10-35 is louder and punchier than my L-00, and it was a good sounding one. As you can see I’m extremely impressed with my C10-35.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 AM

I've played a couple of Waterloo WL-14s, both of which were lovely instruments, but the big V neck didn't do it for me after only 10-15 mins of play. That said, I'd love to try a small neck ladder braced as the ladder braced WL-14 I tried sounded soooo good. I do, however, own a Collings C10 spruce/mahogany deep body, which is one of the most versatile guitars in my collection. Sounds a bit more refined than a WL-14 though and the neck profile is completely different too: it's only a 1 11/16" nut, but with the medium C neck, it feels as comfortable as some of my 1 3/4" nut guitars for fingerstyle. Wish I could play 'Rollin' Down The Highway' like the guy in the AMW video though!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM

Thanks for those nicely considered replies!

I really like the big V neck on the Waterloos I have. And I assumed they were dovetail neck joints like old 30s guitars until yesterday. That is a surprise and guess what - I didn't know any difference!

The AMW video sorted out a bit of my confusion...I also wrongly assumed all C10s were mahogany/sitka, but the video shows it is the 'customisable one'. And I had to have 2 of the Waterloos in X braced and ladder braced (X for standard tuning, ladder for open G slide), so I am starting to see that I might prefer that cooked maple or rosewood over adi or...or...

BluesKing777.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
...I am starting to see that I might prefer that cooked maple or rosewood over adi or...or...

BluesKing777.
I feel the same about other flavours - I was very tempted to go after a short scale maple I saw on the bay, which went for a song, but didn't dare risk the wrath of the domestic bank manager.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:44 PM

I would love to try a maple baked apple with walnuts...

I was surprised by the sound of the black walnut model at the end! But I also know that what I hear in my head is probably mahogany/sitka with adi bracing.

So yes, the Waterloos could be the gateway drug, Bill - one mahogany/sitka followed later by a maple baked and a...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (I am lucky to have a row of L-00 and 00 size guitars, including a 37 L-0...))

Here is the C10-35 in a mahogany/sitka non scalloped adi braced build - I don't play one single thing like Josh Owen in the video, but I have played this guitar, I think, for about 15 seconds while this guitar salesman fed me guitars to try while he smelled blood! It has sat at the shop for quite a while now and I just remember thinking it was superb but very expensive. But I played about 15 guitars that day looking for something else entirely different....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkcMiUTSpv4

BluesKing777.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

This has been a great thread and I thank those who chimed in. I am a recent owner of a used Waterloo WL-14XTR and I'm in love. Mine has the V neck and that profile suits me just fine. The Collings C-10 has always been something that I'd love to own if only they were not so expensive. But I just turned 60 and a guy only goes around once!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 PM

Yes, we only go around once!

Lunchtime, working from home, I played my Waterloo WL-14 X braced for 1/2 hour - bare fingers fingerpicking. Then I grabbed my Martin CEO7 and played similar things to compare and then in the spirit of all that, grabbed my hand build custom Cargill 00.

Result? They are all the same size guitar, similar V necks but sound very different. Derrrrhhhhhh!

But memory of playing the Collings C10-35 puts it in a very similar vein to my Cargill, though the Cargill is Gabon ebony back and sides with Italian spruce top.......a truly sensational guitar now that it is fully broken in after a few years of play! (un-scalloped tall braces the key to the similarity, possibly?)).

Those 3 are definite stayers, but a couple of other lazy guitars will make way for the Collings, depending on the world.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion