The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Humidification

Guess I can't delete.

Last edited by thingthatisdone; 03-30-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatisdone View Post
What are your thoughts?
That this has been debated endlessly. Do what makes you happy.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatisdone View Post
I live in northeast US. According to my hygrometer, the humidity is often around 5% throughout the winter.
Are you sure it is 5%? I live in Maine in a house with in-floor heat. And the driest it gets, according to my device, is about 20%, which is desert-like. I have a small study with a humidifier which keeps the space at about 45%, including my lovely Larrivee.
David
Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

There's nothing wrong with asking an old question. There are always new people joining, maybe with other experiences and insights. I, too, don't recall humidity being a big concern back in the 1970s when I bought my first guitar as a starving student. And I didn't notice any big effects when living in a very dry location (Arizona) or a very wet one (Washington). But, that guitar was kind of a tank - a Gibson Jumbo knockoff made by Ventura. And I unfortunately didn't have the time to think so much about guitar minutiae.

Fast forward to present, I've read many of the old threads about humidity on the AGF. You'll find people ranging from those that don't do anything to those that try to control humidity to less than 1%. Best practice seems to be to try to land in the 40-55% range.

Now, being retired, having more time on my hands, nicer guitars, and a tendency to nerd out, I've been paying more attention to humidity. I live in the northwest US where humidity can go below 30%, but often is near 100%. I've been recording the humidity inside my house for the past few months and its ranged from 37% to 50%, with no attempts on my part to control it. I've never noticed sharp ends on frets, reported to happen when humidity gets too low, or the stuffed-full-of-wet-rags sound that is said to happen when it gets too high. But I have found fret-buzz starting to happen when it gets below 40% or so. So, I'm now working on making a separate room with humidity control where I can put my guitars during the extreme times. Otherwise, I like having them out where I can grab them.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-30-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

In general, it is uncommon for the rH in the U.S. to go below ~20% rH. This agrees with what Deliberate1 has posted, but is also in line with a variety of posted averages from around the country.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-cities.php

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c486.html (this indicates 30; both of these are "averages", some places do get down to 20's%, see next).

Trying to find the source for this comment but it matches other sources I've read (if I can find one of those others...):
"Yuma, Arizona is the lowest recorded average humidity - averaging under 50% for a high and 22% as a low. The next-lowest humidity is Tucson, Arizona. That city posts average high humidity of 57% and a low of 26%."

Of course, rH changes throughout the day, so everyone resorts to averages (and these are typically monthly, yearly, etc). So you can get a specific daily reading that is lower. But nowhere in the U.S. is there a 5% average ("throughout the winter").

Here's another reference for Yuma (a table of monthly averages; the low is June), since it is considered one of the drier places. Point is, you may be experiencing a low rH but I don't think you are experiencing 5% rH....

You can check a variety of cities here. You have to click on one, then scroll down and click on the "complete weather history" option.
https://www.cityrating.com/relativehumidity.asp

On the other hand, the rH inside your home may be getting pretty low, with wood or radiator heat.........

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

Last edited by birdsong; 07-08-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
...the rH inside your home may be getting pretty low, with wood or radiator heat.........
As you point out, the outdoor humidity levels aren't all that relevant. What matters is the environment in which one stores one's guitars. For most people that is indoors subject to heating and/or air conditioning and other daily activities, all of which can significantly change the humidity level from that of the outside air.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion