The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 06:11 AM

Default Palming the pick

This guy alternates between flat picking and fingerpicking all through this video. Yet I never see him lay down the pick. It is almost like a magic trick. There is one frame that you can see the color of the pick.
Do any of you do this? Tell me how. Thanks

https://youtu.be/6Z8uz8QTeWI
Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 AM

I hybrid pick a song or two, but I don’t think that’s what he’s doing. It looked like he slides and keeps the pick between fingers while he finger picks. I think his method actually slows him down. If you want to see/hear how great hybrid picking can sound, check out Clarence White. After listening to Clarence White, I bet you start hybrid picking. Haha
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

You were in the right place to start with - YouTube. Different (pick) strokes for different folks, variations on a theme:

Old 03-30-2020, 08:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

As a four-finger picker (I took classical lessons in college) I don't seem to be able to pull palming off but I am able to pull a pick out of my mouth really quickly. BTW, my picks practice social distancing to the max. In one band I had a song where I did leads and fills and I went between bare finger picking on the right and slide on the left to using a pick on the right with bare fingers on the left and back twice, each within two measures.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I do it all the time when playing on stage, folks watch and say they are amazed, I have no idea how. For me it's subconscious.

Last edited by stephenT; 03-30-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

The best way to start getting proficient at this is to just keep a pick in your hand all the time and don’t lay it down when you need your fingers to perform a task. You’ll be amazed at how quickly palming a pick will become second nature.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I do it all the time when playing on stage, folks watch and say they are amazed, I have no idea how. For me it's sub-conscience.
I'm glad you don't feel guilty!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Never! But thanks for the correction, my post was precoffee. Not "sub-conscience",.. subconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm glad you don't feel guilty!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Never! But thanks for the correction, my post was precoffee. Not "sub-conscience",.. subconscious.
I enjoyed the original version.

I've palmed the pick for a few songs. I find it easier with a triangular pick, because I can use whatever playing surface presents itself.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM

Roger McGuinn and Neil Young are good at this.

Hard as I've tried, I just can't get it down. Wish I could though because it would open up a lot of opportunities!
Old 03-30-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
As a four-finger picker (I took classical lessons in college) I don't seem to be able to pull palming off but I am able to pull a pick out of my mouth really quickly. BTW, my picks practice social distancing to the max. In one band I had a song where I did leads and fills and I went between bare finger picking on the right and slide on the left to using a pick on the right with bare fingers on the left and back twice, each within two measures.

Bob

Did you wash your hands between measures?[emoji6]
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
The best way to start getting proficient at this is to just keep a pick in your hand all the time and don’t lay it down when you need your fingers to perform a task. You’ll be amazed at how quickly palming a pick will become second nature.
Exactly. I do this when I play solo sometimes, although since I'm not a dazzlingly accomplished fingerpicker I don't make it a big feature of my act. Where I tend to use this technique is on song introductions, typically on slower or mid-tempo songs, where I fingerpick a sort of abstract, moody intro, but then start using the pick once the song really kicks in and I have to sing.

I'm much better with a pick than I am as a fingerpicker.

whm
Old 03-30-2020, 05:45 PM

So my first try lasted 27 seconds before the pick flew of to Neverland! Seriously, I can’t find it. Lucky I have 200 more Barbourville Vision Center Picks. We are only seeing sick and hurt eyes, so very few patients, and fewer opportunities to talk guitar.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:01 PM

I tend to do this in a jam situation. Using fingers when someone else is leading a song so as not to play louder than them and going to a pick when I lead. Never thought it was out of the ordinary.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Did you wash your hands between measures?[emoji6]
If you can’t wash hands between measures, make certain to wash when moving from Bar to Bar. It’s a cruel world out there

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion