The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
I want to install these in my guitar room. Is it absolutely necessary to screw them into a stud or are there some anchor screws strong enough to hold guitar if they go into the dry wall?

Thank you
CA
Ideally you would want to install into a stud no doubt about it. However, it's not always possible which is presumably why your asking. In my case all of my hangers are into a stud except one (my experimental hanger). I used the wall anchors supplied with the hanger and hung an electric guitar that I don't care about which weighs 8.5 lbs. It's been hanging there for over 2 years without issue. After seeing that I'm not too worried.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM

I wish you all well as far as hanging a guitar on the wall -
we read about this time and time again about a guitar that fell to the ground
and was pretty much destroyed or damaged -we don't know why this happened
maybe someone bumped into the wall or a cat jumped from a table etc ,
if you have kids running around -stuff happens.
all i can say is that its home is in the case -If I'm worried about that I buy a better
case-- I just don't take chances- Sorry about changing the discussion -
I'm not a fan of looking for a decent repair person !
Peace-
Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
maybe someone bumped into the wall or a cat jumped from a table etc ,
if you have kids running around -stuff happens.
all i can say is that its home is in the case -If I'm worried about that I buy a better
case-- I just don't take chances
Rambunctious cats are the reason I store my guitar in its gig bag, in a closet the cats have difficulty getting into. If I had a room the cats weren't allowed in, wall mounts or a floor stand would be more feasible for me.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I finally figured out how to post pictures here, so here is my setup. As someone mentioned awhile back, the folks at String Swing are fantastic. I ordered these angled hangers direct from them. I used T-nuts through the back of the 1x8 so the hangers are held on with machine screws. The 1x8 is screwed directly into 4 different wood studs. There are a total of 11 hangers on this rack.

(My acoustics stay in their cases for humidity control here in Colorado)

Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM

Is that an EC-256 distressed? It looks fantastic. What pickups did you put in it (doesn't look stock)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post
I finally figured out how to post pictures here, so here is my setup. As someone mentioned awhile back, the folks at String Swing are fantastic. I ordered these angled hangers direct from them. I used T-nuts through the back of the 1x8 so the hangers are held on with machine screws. The 1x8 is screwed directly into 4 different wood studs. There are a total of 11 hangers on this rack.

(My acoustics stay in their cases for humidity control here in Colorado)

Old 03-30-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Yes it is. They are one of the best deals going, especially after swapping pickups/electronics. I think I paid $230 used for it. It’s amazing how much attention to detail ESP puts into even their lower end guitars.

As for the pickups? I do a LOT of modding to multiple guitars, and it’s been so long since I did this one, I’d have to pull ‘em to look. But, if memory serves, I think they are some hybrids I put together from a couple Duncans. Bridge might be a ‘59 bobbin paired with a Custom bobbin. Neck might be a 59 with a SH-2n? Sound wise, the guitar can hang with the Custom Shop Historic R7 next to it.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post
Yes it is. They are one of the best deals going, especially after swapping pickups/electronics. I think I paid $230 used for it. It’s amazing how much attention to detail ESP puts into even their lower end guitars.

As for the pickups? I do a LOT of modding to multiple guitars, and it’s been so long since I did this one, I’d have to pull ‘em to look. But, if memory serves, I think they are some hybrids I put together from a couple Duncans. Bridge might be a ‘59 bobbin paired with a Custom bobbin. Neck might be a 59 with a SH-2n? Sound wise, the guitar can hang with the Custom Shop Historic R7 next to it.
I bought an EC-1000 about 15 years ago. I'd prefer an EC-256 with upgraded pickups because of the cost/value aspect. Back then I like the bling of the EC-1000 but now I think it's too much.

That's an R7? Wow - fantastic! You should post that in the Electric Guitar sub forum.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:06 PM

I’ve been in the construction trades for nearly 25 years. High quality dry wall anchors will securely hold a guitar if installed properly. Anchors are rated by weight. Guitars are not very heavy.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
I’ve been in the construction trades for nearly 25 years. High quality dry wall anchors will securely hold a guitar if installed properly. Anchors are rated by weight. Guitars are not very heavy.
You must not play Les Pauls...
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 PM

I use two 100lbs dry wall anchors - same amount that holds my TV up - let’s be real the Taylor 814 is way more important lol
Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 PM

Default Mine are holding nicely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You must not play Les Pauls...
Well, I do. I have what must be the heaviest Les Paul on the planet at just under 11 pounds. Anyway, I have 10 hangers on my wall that have been there going on 25 years now. None of them are in the studs (you'd think I would have gotten lucky with at least one!). The Les Paul hangs there, as does a heavy resonator Banjo. Also a Fender Jazz Bass which is on the extra heavy side. Never had any problems, even through the earthquake we had in the early 2000's. All are hanging with (two each) standard plastic anchors rated at 50 lbs into drywall. Don't overthink it - life's too short!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion