The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Default lighter gauges

My guitar is a Goodall 28" scale baritone. James sets his up for medium gauge strings tuned D-D. I play mostly CGCGCE and have recently been playing the same intervals in B flat with this set of mediums 13-56. I don't notice any floppiness or buzzing etc. with the smaller strings tuned down. Maybe it's the setup and nut that are causing the issues?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
My guitar is a Goodall 28" scale baritone. James sets his up for medium gauge strings tuned D-D. I play mostly CGCGCE and have recently been playing the same intervals in B flat with this set of mediums 13-56. I don't notice any floppiness or buzzing etc. with the smaller strings tuned down. Maybe it's the setup and nut that are causing the issues?
Steve, that's really tempting to try when I do my next string change! Might go and get myself a set of 56s

Colin
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 AM

A couple of you mentioned scale length, which is good. But scale length and tuning should be at the start of this discussion. I'd have to say that given the plethora of baritones with scales ranging anywhere from 27 to 30.5" I don't know that D'Addario's baritone set could be considered "standard." D'Addario gets huge props for offering a set at all.

The shorter your scale the heavier you have to go relative to the scale and pitch in order for the strings to behave well. Longer scales require heavy gauges, too, but the relative change isn't as drastic. Both require more relief than a standard guitar -- those low strings swing a bigger arc.

Pound for pound, gauge for gauge, I think you'll find that John Pearse's phosphor bronze strings have slightly higher tension than the D'Addario's and will behave better in these lower tunings. They also have more available gauges than D'Addario, particularly for the low strings. Lastly, the Pearse are a warmer sounding string relative to the D'Addario's which are more strident in timbre.
I get it that folks are shy about ordering custom sets, but you'll find that John Pearse will happily put a gauge schedule on your account and you simply order that set.

If you don't like how the strings feel or behave, try increasing them a gauge or two. You probably don't need to do all the strings. Try balancing the tension on the strings so they all have the same feel, same relative tension -- they won't be exact, just look at the tension schedule on your typical set of strings and gauge up from there.

D'Addario's string tension guide will get you close, but you'll still have to dial it in. It's a good starting place regardless of whether you're using D'Addario's or Pearse.

D'Addario String Tension Guide

Last edited by dberkowitz; 07-11-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM

David,
Thank you for your reply.
I did adjust the neck relief again and it helped reduce the string slap [buzz]

I also replaced the 3 bass side bridge pins with brass pins.
Doing this took a bit of the muddiness out of the guitar.
I tried using all 6 brass pins but the guitar sounds better with just the 3 on the bass side.

I have not tried the Pearse strings but I will.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Right. It sounds as though you just need to use a very light touch when you play it.

When I first started playing baritone guitar I had to learn to modify both my right hand attack and how I phrased things musically. It takes a while to be able get the best out of an acoustic baritone, because it really is quite different from a standard six string in a number of ways, the scale length and the lower register it’s tuned to are only the two most obvious differences.

whm
Hi Wade! Just stumbled upon this thread, and your post caught my eye! I just bought a new Taylor 326ce Baritone-6 LTD, and notice a lot of buzz on bar/power chords, and even with drop tuning power chords. Been playing regular acoustic for 30+ years, but new to the baritone. I took it to our local shop, and the guy said it didn't need any adjustments. I thought maybe I wasn't pressing hard enough on the strings, but now I notice they go sharp super easy the harder I press.

Based on your post, it sounds like I need to Not press as hard as one would think with these heavier strings, which is backwards from conventional thinking. I will note, though, that open chords produce no buzzing. I thought about maybe using heavier strings, but Elixir only makes one gauge for baritone 6 strings, so that threw that theory out the window for me. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:55 AM

Piling on:

I bought an Alvarez ABT610.
I’ve bought several string sets to try.
GHS bright Bronze 14-60.
The tension seems about right, tuned B-b.
I already play with not too heavy a touch.
I have a set of D’addario EJ18 and a Nickel set of Electric strings that go from 13-62.
Getting used to this guitar’s voice is interesting.

My bigger “worry” is that my tiny knowledge of theory is going to mean I’ll need time to transcribe what shapes to play in a band situation.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-30-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

You can also buy a set of lights or mediums that you know you like, use the bottom 5 strings from that set, and buy a couple of single low strings in a few sizes, and see what you like -
Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 AM

I've tried a bunch of different strings, including Elixir, D'Addarrio, Wyres, and Cleartone. My favs hands-down are the John Pearse 80/20s. They can be hard to find. I have my Tacoma tuned to "A" right now, but it sounds great with the lighter 16-68 set tuned to "B." Now, the Tacoma has almost a 29" scale, which helps.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:15 PM

I landed here seeking a solution to the same perceived problem (sloppy feeling strings), but my intent was to go the other way -- heavier. Imagine if you put, as an extreme example, a .030W 'D' string in place of the low 'B', and tried tuning it down to 'B': It would have to be so loose as to be unplayable. right? I tried tuning my Baritone from C-C, and that helped, but I wanted to keep it B-B.

I just restrung it with a set of LaBella Phosphor Bronze Mediums, .015-.080, and it sounds and incredible. Feels fine to me, but I always put stout strings on all my acoustics and electrics, so can't go by that, but that tone is far less boxy when played acoustically.

While I had them off I gave the truss rod maybe a 1/8 turn clockwise, and as it turned out, no further adjustment was needed. No buzzes, neck nice and straight...

As I said, I don't find the heavier strings objectionable, but the way I first started gravitating to heavier strings was just because for me, tone was worth a bit of pain, and that passed long ago 8^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
So we have discussed this a bit before but the baritone world is a new thing to a lot of us.

So far, I have stuck with the standard baritone string gauge. [.016 to .070]
I play an Alvarez baritone and these strings feel very loose or sloppy.
My baritone stays in B to B tuning for several reasons.

I would like to go a bit lighter like .015 to .064 but that would require buying single strings to build a set.

I would like to hear from other baritone players, especially those of you that are playing the Alvarez about your string selection.

I see that John Pearse offers a set in .015 to .68. I need to try a set of them.

I would think that a set of standard heave gauge strings would be too much tension for the baritone .014 to .59.

So what is working for you?
Old 04-13-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I could be off my rocker, but I think there are a few variables that are unique to each baritone guitar (like any guitar) that would dictate what strings are best. Obviously personal choice is the biggest factor, but add scale length, action, what tuning you're in, brand of guitar, the way it was built, how you play, etc. to the equation, and you'll get a different answer for each instrument and/or the person playing it.

For my 27.5" scale baritone, I prefer Martin SP's, but Elixirs are a close 2nd. To be fair, I haven't tried any other brand of strings except D'Addario's that it was delivered with. I also keep mine tuned to B-B, and play with a rumbling heavy attack at times. Mine can take whatever I give it without buzzing. I can also tune to A-A, but it does get slightly jangly if I go at it like I normally would in B-B.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion