The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Default Action on Martin DC-16RGTE vs D-28

I have a 67 D-28 and recently inherited a DC-16RGTE. The D-28 had a fret job by a reputable factory dealer and it is set close to factory specs. I told him I wanted it high rather than lower as I didn't do much flat picking, and had experienced some problems before with amateur adjustments. It sounds great, but is a bit hard to fret. The D-16 has a low action and is effortless to play, though the sound naturally isn't as good. I don't even have an amp, as I am interested only in acoustic sound.
My question is could that action be replicated on the D28 to make it easier to do some very rudimentary picking. I have in mind slower, folk, country and bluegrass tunes. Or is that low action typical of electric guitars? And the D16 is meant to be amplified?
I mostly play capoed at the 3rd or 4th fret. Any suggestions by anyone experienced with a D-16, would help me a lot. A lovely instrument to play, but doesn't have the volume, tone I am used to and I hesitate to use it in picking session.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Yes, it should be possible to get the action dialed in better. I get that adjusted on all the instruments I own.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-29-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

It likely depends on how much saddle the D-28 has left. If there's room to shave it down a bit then the action can be lowered. If it's as low as it can go, and the neck has proper relief, then it would need a neck reset to lower the action. The action on the D-16 doesn't have anything to do with it having a pickup, any acoustic can have its action nice and low with a proper set up.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
It likely depends on how much saddle the D-28 has left. If there's room to shave it down a bit then the action can be lowered. If it's as low as it can go, and the neck has proper relief, then it would need a neck reset to lower the action. The action on the D-16 doesn't have anything to do with it having a pickup, any acoustic can have its action nice and low with a proper set up.
The neck was reset with the fret job. I specified a fairly high action because had experienced buzzing before and wanted to avoid that at all costs. Probably should have let him lower it a bit then.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
The neck was reset with the fret job. I specified a fairly high action because had experienced buzzing before and wanted to avoid that at all costs. Probably should have let him lower it a bit then.
um...ya. Easy to sand the bottom of the saddle for lower action if all else is cool. As an example- If you want action lower by 1/32, double it and sand 2/32 off saddle. Mark 2/32 off from bottom of saddle...sand to that mark. Or be lazy like me and take it to somebody who does this for a living.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

The D-28 may also have high nut slots. Take both guitars to the guy who did the neck reset and ask him to make the 28 play like the 16.

Those are two nice guitars. You should be able to enjoy both of them for a long time.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The D-28 may also have high nut slots. Take both guitars to the guy who did the neck reset and ask him to make the 28 play like the 16.

Those are two nice guitars. You should be able to enjoy both of them for a long time.
Good summation.

whm
Old 03-29-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Thanks good advice. Except my guy lives a couple of hours and a border away.
So really a D28 like the pros play, say Brian Sutton (and I hesitate to use his name in connection with mine) can have a low action and still sound marvelous? My problem remains I haven't played many different guitars, so had little to compare to. And my ambitions changed as I had time to improve my playing a bit.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Yes, do some research and find a good guitar tech near you. Don't just go to anybody. I do my own set-ups and it's easy but if you take it to someone, make sure they know what they are doing.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Thanks good advice. Except my guy lives a couple of hours and a border away.
A two hour drive to an excellent luthier sounds like a good excuse for a day out.....
Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 AM

I have a DC-16RGTE, and it's not just the action, it's the neck shape that makes it easier to play. It's slimmer than my modern D-35, and certainly much easier than the 60-70's era Martin necks. I find it's less work to play over a couple of hours, too.
As far as sound difference, no the 16 is not quite as loud or as "complex", but I've found it's hard to tell the difference even in a solo recording, and at a jam session nobody will know or care.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
I have a DC-16RGTE, and it's not just the action, it's the neck shape that makes it easier to play. It's slimmer than my modern D-35, and certainly much easier than the 60-70's era Martin necks. I find it's less work to play over a couple of hours, too.
As far as sound difference, no the 16 is not quite as loud or as "complex", but I've found it's hard to tell the difference even in a solo recording, and at a jam session nobody will know or care.
Yes, I have noticed that it has a much slimmer shape easily noticeable when capoing between the 2 guitars. What I dislike is the binding along the neck, not necessary and it feels different against one's thumb joint sliding along the neck.
And tends to obscure the position markers on the side, but I suppose one would get used to this after a lot of playing. I have been playing the D-28 for about 44 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion