The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Default The Antidote to Digital Malaise, Ecotherapy, ShinRin Yoku

We have discussed the ideas of digital depression, digital toxicity and debated its ups and downs and the threads were civil and informed. I loved the dissenting views, since, personally, I can see both sides, digital distress and digital rewards. I do research on game based learning so I know video games, for example, can do some good things for people. Nothing is black and white.

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-ab...nature-therapy

The treatment system is one that is not only good for this suspected condition (facebook depression, smartphone addictions), but really its being used for many purposes.

Its called Ecotherapy, with many forms within it. The Japanese art of ShinRin Yoku, or "nature bathing" has been studied, if you Google Scholar these terms you will find many papers.

Not only does being in nature seem to heal us mentally, but it also exposes us to phytocines, natural aromatics plants produce, which, when inhaled, stimulate the immune response.

Nature therapy? Yes or no?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

...there is nothing I have found in this life that is more therapeutic and healing than nature...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

How about lifestyle therapy? We live our modern lives with a mind and body that evolved in nature - walking, running, hunting, gathering, and living in relatively small tribes striving to survive and reproduce.

Contrast that way of life with sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day, getting little to no exercise, having immediate access to high sugar and fat content processed food, and the recent threads about depression, isolation, and overuse of smartphones, tablets, etc.

Getting out in the natural world, walking, hiking, running, cycling, eating a primarily plant based diet, with the least possible processing, and nurturing positive social and emotional connections with friends, family, associates - our personal tribes - are more essential now than at any point in human history.

And IMO, being creative, playing music, singing, and sharing that experience as we do here in the AGF is equally important.
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Taylor T5Z Pro LTD
Strandberg Boden Original 6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic