The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM

Default Similar style to “Hole Hearted”???

So I learned the Extreme song Hole Hearted several years ago mostly b/c I really like the guitar in it. Actually that’s how I pick most of the songs I learn! I’m not sure what style of playing you might classify it as though? Knowing nothing exists in a vacuum, I’m figuring Nuno had influences for that style of playing, and wondering if those here with a greater knowledge of music might know what they are? Soooooo can anyone recommend other guitarists who employ that, (or a similar), style?

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 02-02-2019, 08:22 AM

In common with most hard rock bands, Extreme have a strong blues influence and most of Nuno's solos are built around the pentatonic scale and packed with blues licks.The verse to this song has a bluesy feel to it and the double stops wouldn't sound out of place in a Chuck Berry riff.

The bridge ('river flows into the sea..' etc) is different and the open string triads moved up the neck and back down against a pedal tone give a very epic sound that was popular with rock bands in the 70s, eg Focus and the tune Discovery by Rush (2112), but perhaps the best example of this kind of thing is in Stairway to Heaven and Nuno is almost certainly influenced by Page.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write