The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Another vote for the J-40 here, if you can try one. It is a deeper version of the M36 or the M38. I find it easily capable of keeping up with D-28's when strummed at bluegrass jams, yet still sounds good fingerpicked with nails. My J-40 has been with me for 25 years now.

And definitely try several types of strings, not just brands. The voice of the guitar will really "pop" with some types.
I really want to try a J-40! A store about an hour away has one but it's very expensive. Our Canadian dollar sucks so it's well over $4000.00. From demoes it does have a very pleasing tone but it's also unique. I am not sure how much I like it. I would have to try one in person.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Isn't an 0000 essentially a 14-fret Dread with a narrow waist and slightly rounded bouts?

I mean, the difference from an M/0000 to a D might not be much, would it?

I know how you feel though. I had a D-15M that was gorgeous but I couldn't bond with it. I got a 000-15 and love it.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:21 AM
SalFromChatham

The M / 0000 shape is a Jumbo shape, with a narrower 000 depth.

But back to the OPs concern... I have many times bought guitars that I should love on paper, but they didnt grab me. You shouldnt try to like anything. I'd sell it and move on!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM

I think you should get rid of it from what Im hearing.

I have a J-40, the blinged out version of your guitar. I like it for certain things. Its a great flatpicker, solid at fingerstyle but only average as a strummer, unless its capoed from 3 above, then a sweetness comes through.

If you want it to be an all rounder like a D-18 then it wont be the answer. But if you want it to excel at certain things then this guitar will do that, alebit selectively.

But i would also say that in general Martins are just not that versatile, they are good at certain things but struggle to be all in one workhorses like a J-45. The D-18 is the closest to an all rounder.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 11-10-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Echoing others views, if you are really not enjoying it, best to move on rather than have a heap of money tied up in it.

As to what you would like instead, I've no idea. Try as many as you can and buy the one that makes you say and think 'Wow!'
Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Isn't an 0000 essentially a 14-fret Dread with a narrow waist and slightly rounded bouts?

I mean, the difference from an M/0000 to a D might not be much, would it?

I know how you feel though. I had a D-15M that was gorgeous but I couldn't bond with it. I got a 000-15 and love it.
It's my understanding, though I may be wrong (as usual), that the lower bout width of the M/0000 is roughly the same as on a standard D, but that and a 14-fret neck are where the similarities end.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM

You may want to talk with the store manager, where you bought the M, explain the situation, and see if there is a trade-in/store credit possibility. I purchased my HD-28LSV from a Martin dealer, who did something like that: buyer couldn't adjust to the chunky neck, a few months later traded it in for another Martin.

No doubt you will take a "hit," as to total amount paid, to get something you like better than the M, but may well be worth it.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43 AM

I've got one and love it. I use standard Martin 80/20 medium strings which to my tastes really suit the guitar. I also agree on the tuners so my solution was to swap them for some gotoh 510's. This has worked out perfectly so never regret spending a little more to upgrade them.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I hate coated strings on Martins, including Martin coated strings. Try Martin Retros, been very please and surprised with them.

As far as the M-36, nobody says it must be right for you, it might not be. I've owned almost 40 Martins because "for me" some work better than others, there are many Martins I don't want to own, regardless of how expensive.

"Trying" to like a guitar is a losing battle, if it doesn't wow you find a guitar that does, Martin or another brand. If you don't like the first taste of a meal, it isn't going to better a few bites later, more on..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty8 View Post
The title says it. I'm "trying" to like my M-36. This guitar came to me in late July, 2015, new. I had a set up down on it after tree weeks, much earlier than I would with a new guitar. I would ordinarily play it in more. But the tone and intonation just wasn't good. It got better after the set-up. Tried Elixir strings, which I like on my Taylors. Didn't like them on the Martin. Now I'm back to Martin Life Span SP, the ones recommended by Martin. They're just ok.
But honestly, I'm just not enjoying this guitar, still. It doesn't stay in tune easily. And if even slightly out, it's noticeable. It finger picks nicely. But it doesn't sound great strummed. I thought that the M size (OOOO) would do both well. That's what all the professional reviews indicated. I'm considering getting rid of it and buying a D-18. I'm torn with keeping it a couple of years and waiting for it to improve. But I'm fearful that it won't.
Any thoughts?
If the saddle fit is off, pretty common in my experiences, then the guitar will fall 'flat'. Strings are big, but a bad fit will undermine a guitar from the start. I'm just a couple of miles from you, and would be interested in taking a look at this, but then you'd have to trust some unknown individual. If you're game, then pm me.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty8 View Post
I thought that the M size (OOOO) would do both well. That's what all the professional reviews indicated. I'm considering getting rid of it and buying a D-18. I'm torn with keeping it a couple of years and waiting for it to improve. But I'm fearful that it won't.
Don't know if this helps. I've played one M, and that was after sampling a lot of dreads from various makers. So I was playing guitars with a big sound. An M was thrust into my hands, and it sounded weak, quiet in comparison.

The point being that if you're after the big sound of a dread, an M may simply not do it for you.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Don't know if this helps. I've played one M, and that was after sampling a lot of dreads from various makers. So I was playing guitars with a big sound. An M was thrust into my hands, and it sounded weak, quiet in comparison.

The point being that if you're after the big sound of a dread, an M may simply not do it for you.
Oddly enough, I haven't had the same experiences with the M-36's that I have tried. It's true that if you compare them to a Martin dread, they might sound a bit weaker in terms of projection. However, I find it to be a very small difference and the M-36 really shows the weaker tonal characteristics of a dread (lack of clarity at times). I compared the M-36 to a new Taylor 810 and they were very close tone wise.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:33 PM

I am not sure if anyone will have anything to say about this but how does the M-36 compare to the Santa Cruz OM Grand?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:47 AM

Default M-36 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
You've only tried coated strings? Slap a set of D'Addario EJ-16's on that guitar. (There isn't a coated string made that I want to use ... and yes, I know I'm in a minority) Short of a broken tuning machine, there's no reason to think that going out of tune is the fault of the guitar. I'd be interested to know your restringing technique.
Well, it's about a month since I posted this thread. I took the advice and tried a set of D'Addario non-coated strings. I've also just played the guitar rather frequently... at least a couple of hours a day. To my surprise, I'm enjoying it. Go figure. I don't know the change is 1) the strings; 2) playing it more; 3) my attitude toward the guitar. But it doesn't really matter why. So, although I like Elixir strings on my Taylor guitars. I'll ride with the D'Addario's on the M-36 for a while.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 AM

Did you play the guitar before you bought it, or order it sign unseen? Seems like you already made your mind up about it. If it can't be returned I'd just sell it, cut my losses and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
left handed, m-36, m36, martin